Pictures of Western Icons?

brlon

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2015
Messages
81
Reaction score
12
Points
8
Location
UK
LivenotoneviL said:
This is from an Anglican Ordinariate church, but it really stuck out to me - aside from the Virgin Mary looking to the right towards Jesus and not towards the viewer. I also don't recognize the two Saints on the left and right of the altar.
Saint Catherine of Alexandria (left), Saint Lawrence the Deacon (right).
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
19,956
Reaction score
213
Points
63
Age
159
Location
The South
It's a deeisis setup, where Christ in the center is flanked by supplicating saints; in this case the Mother of God and John the Forerunner. 
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
10
Points
38
Age
19
LivenotoneviL said:
This is from an Anglican Ordinariate church, but it really stuck out to me - aside from the Virgin Mary looking to the right towards Jesus and not towards the viewer. I also don't recognize the two Saints on the left and right of the altar.

Is that Our Lady of Walsingham in Houston? I’ve been there before, but didn’t notice the icons on the altar.
 

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
why is there Hebrew :eek: surely this is not a synagogue this is not a Jewish place of worship! whats Hebrew doing there!?
 

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 5, 2017
Messages
1,014
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
United States
Orthodox_Slav said:
Dominika said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
why is there Hebrew :eek: surely this is not a synagogue this is not a Jewish place of worship! whats Hebrew doing there!?
Hebrew is also one of the languages of the Orthodox Church:

Paschal troparion in Hebrew
yes but this is an Anglican church!
The Aleph symbolizes truth, as does the Tav. Though since it's the last letter in the Hebrew alphabet, it means beginning and end. It's related to the "Alpha and Omega" symbol in Greek.
 

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Jackson02 said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
Dominika said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
why is there Hebrew :eek: surely this is not a synagogue this is not a Jewish place of worship! whats Hebrew doing there!?
Hebrew is also one of the languages of the Orthodox Church:

Paschal troparion in Hebrew
yes but this is an Anglican church!
The Aleph symbolizes truth, as does the Tav. Though since it's the last letter in the Hebrew alphabet, it means beginning and end. It's related to the "Alpha and Omega" symbol in Greek.
thanks i get it now
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Dominika said:
Hebrew is also one of the languages of the Orthodox Church:

Paschal troparion in Hebrew
I wonder who uses it. I mean, there are plenty of Orthodox Christians from Palestine and abroad in Israel, but I wouldn't expect such a fast substitution of their mother languages so that their liturgical language would change from Greek, Slavonic or Georgian to Hebrew in 70 years at most. Or there is active mission, but I never heard of such.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,537
Reaction score
93
Points
48
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
RaphaCam said:
Dominika said:
Hebrew is also one of the languages of the Orthodox Church:

Paschal troparion in Hebrew
I wonder who uses it. I mean, there are plenty of Orthodox Christians from Palestine and abroad in Israel, but I wouldn't expect such a fast substitution of their mother languages so that their liturgical language would change from Greek, Slavonic or Georgian to Hebrew in 70 years at most. Or there is active mission, but I never heard of such.
I know there is a community of Russian Jews that are Orthodox Christians in Haifa.  I suppose it's unique parish that uses Hebrew as a liturgical language. A friend of mine, an only priest in the Polish Church that knows Hebrew, got from them (after months of exchanging e-mails) Horologion in Hebrew.
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Dominika said:
I know there is a community of Russian Jews that are Orthodox Christians in Haifa.  I suppose it's unique parish that uses Hebrew as a liturgical language. A friend of mine, an only priest in the Polish Church that knows Hebrew, got from them (after months of exchanging e-mails) Horologion in Hebrew.
Wow, really interesting! Also, there's a PAOC priest in Rio who knows Hebrew too.
 

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Russian Jews that are orthodox Christians now thats something new!? there usually either follow Judaism or are atheists.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,537
Reaction score
93
Points
48
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Orthodox_Slav said:
Russian Jews that are orthodox Christians now thats something new!? there usually either follow Judaism or are atheists.
I know in person such 2 brothers.
 

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Messages
1,607
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
23
Location
United States
Also - I know there are a lot of criticisms for other reasons - the Cathedral of Christ the Savior's infamous painting of the Trinity has Hebrew as well.

 

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
LivenotoneviL said:
Also - I know there are a lot of criticisms for other reasons - the Cathedral of Christ the Savior's infamous painting of the Trinity has Hebrew as well.

i cant even look at it without cringing not because of the Hebrew  but just because of the old man God the father and the way it looks so unorthodox OH MY WHAT WAS THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH THINKING WHEN THEY MADE THIS!
 

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 5, 2017
Messages
1,014
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
United States
Orthodox_Slav said:
LivenotoneviL said:
Also - I know there are a lot of criticisms for other reasons - the Cathedral of Christ the Savior's infamous painting of the Trinity has Hebrew as well.

i cant even look at it without cringing not because of the Hebrew  but just because of the old man God the father and the way it looks so unorthodox OH MY WHAT WAS THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH THINKING WHEN THEY MADE THIS!
They were thinking they should embrace the captivity of the Russian Church.
 

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
LivenotoneviL said:
This is from an Anglican Ordinariate church, but it really stuck out to me - aside from the Virgin Mary looking to the right towards Jesus and not towards the viewer. I also don't recognize the two Saints on the left and right of the altar.

btw in this picture, Jesus' feet are crossed on the crucifix and this is the heresy of Triclavianism!
 

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 5, 2017
Messages
1,014
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
United States
Orthodox_Slav said:
LivenotoneviL said:
This is from an Anglican Ordinariate church, but it really stuck out to me - aside from the Virgin Mary looking to the right towards Jesus and not towards the viewer. I also don't recognize the two Saints on the left and right of the altar.

this is the heresy of Triclavianism!
I don't think that was ever condemned by the Orthodox church.
 

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Messages
1,607
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
23
Location
United States
Orthodox_Slav said:
LivenotoneviL said:
This is from an Anglican Ordinariate church, but it really stuck out to me - aside from the Virgin Mary looking to the right towards Jesus and not towards the viewer. I also don't recognize the two Saints on the left and right of the altar.
btw in this picture, Jesus' feet are crossed on the crucifix and this is the heresy of Triclavianism!
I find that way less imperfect than Russia's main Cathedral.
 

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Messages
1,607
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
23
Location
United States
Jackson02 said:
They were thinking they should embrace the captivity of the Russian Church.
Who is the Russian Orthodox Church held captive by? Communism is dead... that is, mostly dead. There's a huge difference between being completely dead and mostly dead.
 

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Jackson02 said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
LivenotoneviL said:
This is from an Anglican Ordinariate church, but it really stuck out to me - aside from the Virgin Mary looking to the right towards Jesus and not towards the viewer. I also don't recognize the two Saints on the left and right of the altar.

this is the heresy of Triclavianism!
I don't think that was ever condemned by the Orthodox church.
even though it was not necessarily condemned by any of the Eastern Orthodox churches during the time of the great schism when The roman catholic church was brewing up its horrible heresies they started to depicted the crucifixion with Jesus Christ's feet crossed
this act even though it is a minor one cause disruption in the church cause you have the orthodox looking at the Catholic crosses and going hey that looks different the feet are crossed in our crosses his feet are apart. I can assure you if you do some research you will find that before the schism both Rome and the east depicted Christ's feet apart!!!  :mad:
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
LivenotoneviL said:
Jackson02 said:
They were thinking they should embrace the captivity of the Russian Church.
Who is the Russian Orthodox Church held captive by? Communism is dead... that is, mostly dead. There's a huge difference between being completely dead and mostly dead.
Jackson is referring to the infiltration of Latin ideals and patterns in the Russian Orthodox Church, which is often called the "Western Captivity".
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,309
Reaction score
135
Points
63
Age
41
LivenotoneviL said:
Ah. That period.
I know. I can't stand British English either. Not that I blame RaphaCam of course.
 

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Messages
1,607
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
23
Location
United States
This painting is a mix mash of iconographic themes, so I don't know if it could be completely regarded as an "icon", but



This is from the 13th century Spain.
It's the awaiting of Final Judgement with Christ Enthroned in Majesty after the people have risen from the tombs, with many under the protection of the Theotokos.
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
It seems this painting is actually from Spoleto, Italy, and there's some early neo-Byzantinism there. I googled it since I found this influence strange for late medieval Spain (although it might even be possible since the Visigothic Kingdom was frequently just Byzantine cosplay, so maybe some influence might have endured, who knows).
 

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I like the Celtic cross in the middle of the all saints of Britain icon I posted!
 

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Messages
1,607
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
23
Location
United States
RaphaCam said:
LivenotoneviL said:
Sorry, I'm an idiot.
Why would you say that? Don't be so tough with yourself...
Because the source of where I took the picture from said Spoleto, Italy, and I read the first two letters and thought "Ah, SPAIN!"
 

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Messages
1,607
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
23
Location
United States
Orthodox_Slav said:
I like the Celtic cross in the middle of the all saints of Britain icon I posted!
The Crucifix that I wear is a Celtic Cross. Although I bought a new Russian Cross that I will wear when it arrives because the Celtic Cross is rusting.
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
LivenotoneviL said:
RaphaCam said:
LivenotoneviL said:
Sorry, I'm an idiot.
Why would you say that? Don't be so tough with yourself...
Because the source of where I took the picture from said Spoleto, Italy, and I read the first two letters and thought "Ah, SPAIN!"
I got it pretty quick because it's the name of a delicious pasta fast-food chain.
 
Top