• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Pig demons and bacon

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
In Matthew 8:28-34 (also Mark 5 and Luke 8 ), there is a story about demons going into pigs who ran off a cliff. Would it have been safe to eat those pigs? Would they have tasted any different because of the demons having been in them?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Anastasia1 said:
In Matthew 8:28-34 (also Mark 5 and Luke 8 ), there is a story about demons going into pigs who ran off a cliff. Would it have been safe to eat those pigs? Would they have tasted any different because of the demons having been in them?
I would think so since Paul recognized that meat sacrificed to idols was safe to eat (1 Corinthians 10) and there was plenty of demonic activity going in and out of those rituals. It wouldn't be right to knowingly eat it under most circumstances, though. I guess if you were starving, you could.

I dunno, that's the best attempt I've got heh.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I don't think pig meat is forbidden for us.

Acts 10:13

“And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.”

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
I don't think pig meat is forbidden for us.

Acts 10:13

“And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.”
The question is about demon pig meat.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anastasia1 said:
Since pork is forbidden to Jews, the owners of those pigs were breaking the law, so Jesus allowed the animals to be destroyed in that way. No one was supposed to have eaten those pigs anyway.

Vanhyo

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
If you know something to contain demonic energy you should avoid it.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Why would anyone eat bruised meat?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
on the whole could they eat pigs...

Both Gerasa and Gadara were cities to the east of the Sea of Galilee and the River Jordan. They were both Gentile cities filled with citizens who were culturally more Greek than Semitic; this would account for the pigs in the biblical account.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:

Both Gerasa and Gadara were cities to the east of the Sea of Galilee and the River Jordan. They were both Gentile cities filled with citizens who were culturally more Greek than Semitic; this would account for the pigs in the biblical account.
Thats true. People dont raise pigs unless they intend to consume.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Tzimis said:
DeniseDenise said:

Except for those bred/trained as trufflehunters....but even they end up as sausage.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:

+1

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
JTLoganville said:
Tzimis said:
DeniseDenise said:

Except for those bred/trained as trufflehunters....but even they end up as sausage.
Pork is one of my favs.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
The people who raised those pigs were not forbidden from eating them.  They raised them in order to slaughter and feast upon them one day.

Knowing that much effort and funds had been invested in to that herd is exactly why the demons entered the swine.

The people who came to see, realized their herd was decimated... without even blinking at the fact that a human life was saved.  It was all about "stuff".... and because they lost their "stuff".... they asked Christ to leave them.

That is exactly what the demons had planned when they entered to herd and killed it.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
If demons were over weight we can call them lards

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Brilko said:
Demons do not have enough power to ruin the wonderous taste that is bacon. This I believe.
Only if the bacon is smoked with incense.

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Sharbel said:
Brilko said:
Demons do not have enough power to ruin the wonderous taste that is bacon. This I believe.
Only if the bacon is smoked with incense.
Baconcense. It's a great gift, especially with a side of gold and myrrh.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I've never really liked bacon. It didn't taste good when I still was a carnivore. I imagine possession wouldn't make it anyhow better.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Unless you are starving at that was the only food available, I would think it wise to avoid meat that came from demonically infested animals. I mean, do people really love pork so much that they would risk it? But I also think this one of the many reasons we pray over our meals and ask God to bless the food that goes into our bodies.

Selam