• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Pilgrimage sites in Ireland and Greece?

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I just found out that we will be spending five days or so in each country this summer. I am wondering about things of religious value which absolutely should not be missed? I know in Ireland we will be in Dublin and in Greece we will be in Athens and Thessaloniki, but right now the rest is still up in the air. If there are any important sites for Christian history or relics in these places please let me know. I'll post more locations as the tripped is planned out more.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the Cathedral of St Demetrius in Thessaloniki houses his relics. If you manage to go a ways out of the city, try to make for the monastery of Soumela.

Make time to visit the crypt of St Philothei in Athens; a walk around the centre of the city will bring you to a couple of extremely old churches as well.

If you can schedule an island trip, visit St Nectarius' shrine on Aegina, and maybe even the Ekatontapyliani on Paros.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
I believe the Cathedral of St Demetrius in Thessaloniki houses his relics. If you manage to go a ways out of the city, try to make for the monastery of Soumela.

Make time to visit the crypt of St Philothei in Athens; a walk around the centre of the city will bring you to a couple of extremely old churches as well.

If you can schedule an island trip, visit St Nectarius' shrine on Aegina, and maybe even the Ekatontapyliani on Paros.
Where is Papa Nicholas Planas at?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Arachne said:

Where is Papa Nicholas Planas at?
On Naxos, the next island on the boat route from Paros. His relics are in the church of St John the Hunter. If you're there on the first weekend of September, you'll see the big festival of all the local saints. But making it there at any time would take 2-3 days out of your trip.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Hmm, from what I see in several places online, Papa-Nicholas Planas' relics are in Athens.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
IIRC Sr. Margaret is a Scottish nun. Perhaps you could PM him? She might know a few places also in Ireland.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3172

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Hmm, from what I see in several places online, Papa-Nicholas Planas' relics are in Athens.
Right. I didn't think to doublecheck the church location. The festival on Naxos does happen, though, and apparently it's worth making it to.

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
Arachne said:

Just to add a couple of notes to Arachne's post.

In Thessaloniki you will also find the cathedral of St Gregory Palamas. It also has his relics.

At Soumela is where you will find the resting place of St Paisios of Mount Athos. When I went there was a long line of people. Very moving.

In Athens, the Benaki museum has a nice collection of religious items including icons. Worth visiting.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm bumping this up. I've been getting together a lot of things for Greece while I'm there, but other than the Book of Kells, I've got exactly squat for Ireland by way of Christian relics and such. I'm not really interested in going to weird stuff like St. Patrick's Purgatory, mainly just early sites of shared saints and relics. Looking into Ireland's piety has been very bizarre, as it has managed to strike me as excessively superstitious even by my own lax standards, and not superstitious in a charming way. Almost in a stupid way.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
you might want to contact Fr. Seraphim of

https://www.mullmonastery.com/

for some ideas....I know he also runs pilgrimages during the summer, but he might be willing to share some specifics with you.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Looking into Ireland's piety has been very bizarre, as it has managed to strike me as excessively superstitious even by my own lax standards, and not superstitious in a charming way. Almost in a stupid way.
Can you give some examples?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Hey guys, I'm bumping this up. I've been getting together a lot of things for Greece while I'm there, but other than the Book of Kells, I've got exactly squat for Ireland by way of Christian relics and such. I'm not really interested in going to weird stuff like St. Patrick's Purgatory, mainly just early sites of shared saints and relics. Looking into Ireland's piety has been very bizarre, as it has managed to strike me as excessively superstitious even by my own lax standards, and not superstitious in a charming way. Almost in a stupid way.
I don't know about relics, but you could check out the ruined monasteries at Skellig Michael and Ballinskelligs.