• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Please pray for my husband

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Glad to hear things went as well as the they did.  Glory to God.

elephant

High Elder
Reaction score
Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos Save Us
Sts Cosmas and Damian Pray For Us

I have a dear friend who recently completed chemo for her stage4 lung/bone/brain cancer.  Her hair never fell out.  

Love, elephant

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Neal had his second heavy chemo on Monday.  His Oncologist said that they are going to try to get insurance to pay for another PET scan to make sure the tumor in his throat has shrunk enough for the radiation to work.  This will decide whether or not he needs another chemo round before radiation starts. 

He said that Neal's lymph nodes are back to normal size. 

The doctor's office called Neal today to tell him that insurance said it is too soon for him to have another PET scan.  I'm not sure what this means... I am hoping it will not delay treatment.  I will call them tomorrow to see if there is anything that can be done to appeal the insurance's decision, since the cancer is type 3  (fast growing and aggressive).

In the mean time, I am reminded that drugs don't cure cancer, God does.  He enables all of it to work according to His purpose.  May His purpose be blessed and His will be done. +

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lord, Have Mercy!

Talking with the doctors is a good idea. You can appeal but the doctors will have to go to bat for you. And if they will, you might consider the gamble of paying for it up front.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Neal has another PET scan today.  The insurance wasn't going to approve it, but his oncologist when to bat for him and actually met with the approving physician and bc/bs is going to pay for it. 

This PET scan is to see if the tumor in his throat has shrunk enough for them to do the radiation.  Please pray.  If it hasn't shrunk enough  will have to undergo one more very heavy chemo and they will have to try a much harder radiation therapy and do more damage to the tissues in his throat/neck and head. . .and the chances of survival goes way down. 

We will find out what the results are early Monday morning.  I will post as SOON as I know. 

Thank you all for your prayers.  They have constantly made a huge difference. 

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Continued prayers. Lord, have mercy.

marigold

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Lord, have mercy on Neal.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lord, Have Mercy!

I pray that everything will go well. I am glad that the insurance matter is over. I will not what has transpired until the 20th.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
quietmorning said:
Neal has another PET scan today.  The insurance wasn't going to approve it, but his oncologist when to bat for him and actually met with the approving physician and bc/bs is going to pay for it. 

This PET scan is to see if the tumor in his throat has shrunk enough for them to do the radiation.  Please pray.  If it hasn't shrunk enough  will have to undergo one more very heavy chemo and they will have to try a much harder radiation therapy and do more damage to the tissues in his throat/neck and head. . .and the chances of survival goes way down. 

We will find out what the results are early Monday morning.  I will post as SOON as I know. 

Thank you all for your prayers.  They have constantly made a huge difference. 
Lord have mercy.

Through the prayers of the Most Holy Theotokos and of all the Saints, especially St. John of San Francisco and St. Nectarios of Aegina, O Christ our God, have mercy on your servants and save them.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
AWESOME NEWS!! GLORY TO GOD!!!

Neal had a PET scan completed last Thursday to see if the tumor in his throat had shrunk enough for them to start radiation therapy.   We saw his oncologist this morning.  He said the tumor is GONE!!!  ;D  The invasive extensions are also gone.

Some of the lymph nodes are back to normal size and are nonreactive, a few of them are still enlarged and are slightly reactive.  Given that the original tumor is gone, they are saying that the lymph nodes are just inflamed and are probably non-cancerous.

The doctor expected the tumor to reduce, he did not expect the tumor to disappear.  He also expected Neal to get very ill with the chemo treatments he received.  He didn’t feel great, but he wasn’t extremely ill.  **chuckles** and despite having cutting his hair very very short (1/4 inch) – he didn’t lose his hair – it only thinned a little.

His white blood count is back to normal.  So we can breathe, now.

I’m so thankful that Neal’s life has been extended – the doctor is talking ‘cure’ now, (meaning there is a good chance Neal will make it past five years) instead of giving him more time (as in trying to keep him alive for a few extra months).   Last week when I was praying, I so felt that Our Lord was covering Neal with His mercy that perhaps he might change his mind. . . He is such a loving God!  He gives us EVERY chance. . .every moment, every possible opportunity to come to Him.  :)

Next week he starts the process of the chemo/radiation therapy.  Wednesday he has his stomach PEG put in (the feeding tube he will use bypassing his throat.  Please continue to pray - this part of the therapy doesn't have a maybe as far as pain is concerned unless it is God who does it.  

He will have another PET scan three to four months after the radiation therapy – and if that is clear, then there will not be another PET scan, he will be followed by the doctor, however.

Thank you - thank you so MUCH for your prayers!

I'll have to start writing a book about the saints of OC.net and get the process started to get y'all canonized! :D

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Glory to God.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
thank God for His great mercy to us sinners.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Praise be to the LORD!

marigold

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Glory to God!
Lord, continue Thy mercy upon Neal. Grant him healing.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
We went back to the oncologist on Tuesday so that Neal can start his Chemo/Radiation treatment.  He examined Neal before he received his chemo - and found that there is 'thickening' on the right side of his neck.  He said, "Well, you aren't cancer free, after all."  His cancer type is 3 - aggressive and fast growing.  They are hoping to get the remainder with the current treatment he is enduring. 

May He choose to extend Neal's life so that Neal might receive His comfort.  Lord have mercy. 

Holy Theotokos, please save us!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Lord, have mercy!

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Lord have mercy.

St. Luke and St. Pantaleimon, pray for us.

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
My Christ in His abundant mercy, grant Neal a speedy and complete recovery.  May his cancer disappear, and may he return to his family, strong and healthy.

Lord, have mercy!

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
quietmorning said:
We went back to the oncologist on Tuesday so that Neal can start his Chemo/Radiation treatment.  He examined Neal before he received his chemo - and found that there is 'thickening' on the right side of his neck.  He said, "Well, you aren't cancer free, after all."  His cancer type is 3 - aggressive and fast growing.  They are hoping to get the remainder with the current treatment he is enduring. 

May He choose to extend Neal's life so that Neal might receive His comfort.  Lord have mercy. 

Holy Theotokos, please save us!
Lord have mercy. I am so sorry for this sad turn of events.

Most Holy Theotokos, save us.
Saints Nectarios and John of San Francisco, intercede to God for us.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad

St. John of Shanghai, pray for us.

Sam G

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD
Lord, have mercy!

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Thank you for your prayers, so far the treatment (chemo and radiation) is going as planned.

Lord have mercy on Neal.

vladf

Reaction score
Lord have mercy, please protect BethAnna by your all loving grace. Send down your spirit to stay by his and her side in this tough time, to protect them and sanctify them by your holiness, for to you belongs all glory, honor and worship, Father,Son and Holy Spirit now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen.

Reaction score
Lord have mercy. St Anne pray for us, St Therese pray for us, St Herman pray for us, St Macrina pray for us.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Neal saw the doctor before his last chemo and radiation yesterday:

They are AMAZED.
He has had no pain in his throat at all.  He's had a couple of blisters in his mouth from the radiation bouncing off his fillings - and that's it.
The are completely amazed that he has not had to take any pain medication and that he is still swallowing.  He is not producing saliva, so he is sticking with soups.  But so far he has not used his stomach peg for anything more than to keep himself hydrated.

The 'thickening' is gone.  The lymph nodes are back to normal size.  He has two more weeks of radiation and chemo and then he is done. :)

Thanks be to God. 

As for me, I'm back seeing my counselor and I am back in my 12 step (ACA) program.  Things were beginning to trigger me somewhat - not bad, but I didn't want it getting to the point where I couldn't manage or function. 

God is so very very GOOD.

Thank you all for praying.  He will have his last PET scan three months after his last treatment.  They don't expect to find anything on it. :)

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Oh, thank God!

Praying both of you are healthy and happy!