Please pray for the safety of Rio de Janeiro

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Ciudad Juárez has 1,3 million inhabitants and had 386 registered murders in 2016, Tijuana has 1,7 million inhabitants to 671 murders, Rio has 6,5 million to 836. But these numbers mean few, since they probably don't account for latrocínio (in Brazil, theft followed by homicide doesn't enter these numbers), so they must be much larger. Also, many deaths go unreported, and I'm not sure if all three numbers account for lesion followed by death and police kills.

In absolute numbers, Brazil has more violent deaths than Syria (279k x 256k in 2011-2015). Although our population is more than 10 times larger, this info is terrifying.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
The strike in Espírito Santo continues, but I haven't heard any reports of violence in Mesquita or Volta Redonda, cities in Rio which were reported to have police strikes. But the capital city, where I live, is fine. Yesterday I went to church normally and it was actually fuller than usual. Glory be to God.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
The last few days were hardcore: the army invaded at least two ghettoes (one of them just a short walk from my home, I saw nothing, but went to sleep hearing gunshots) and there has been a worrying number of armed robberies just outside my university, two of which I actually ran from (I didn't see any gun, but I knew who the robbers were, so I just ran). What amazes me the most is how these things are becoming natural: distant gunshots just make people literally laugh; a friend who lives in the invaded ghetto came here and went back home late; and today I went out of the university with some 15 people, someone recognised the armed robber waiting at the campus's door, and instead of walking back in, everyone but me and a friend just walked through him uncaringly, hoping he wouldn't rob a crowd.

This place is getting inhospitable, it's been years no money can buy its inhabitants safety anymore, and it just gets worse. Please pray for our collective safety, the repentance of the criminals, and wisdom and conditions so some of us can decide to emigrate (even if just upstate) and actually carry out that plan.

Lord, have mercy. Holy Theotokos and St. Dimas, pray for us.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Lord have mercy!

Do you have somewhere safe you can go to if things get any worse?

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Lord, have mercy.