Poll: Do you brush your teeth before communing?

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
I'll say one thing: when I am next to someone who has not brushed their teeth and they are singing in the choir it is absolutely disgusting and totally distracts me from worship.

anastasios

Bogoliubtsy

Archon
Reaction score
anastasios said:
I'll say one thing: when I am next to someone who has not brushed their teeth and they are singing in the choir it is absolutely disgusting and totally distracts me from worship.

anastasios
Agreed.

prodromos

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Matthew 6:16-18
And when ye fast, be not as the hypocrites, downcast in countenance; for they disfigure their faces, so that they may appear fasting to men: verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17 But thou , [when] fasting, anoint thy head and wash thy face, 18 so that thou mayest not appear fasting unto men, but to thy Father who is in secret; and thy Father who sees in secret shall render [it] to thee.

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I voted that a person should brush their teeth but I would like to attach an "*" to my vote.

I personally think they should be brushed (especially at the parish level), but if a spiritual father decides to tell people not to then I wouldn' argue or pass judgement.

Bogoliubtsy

Archon
Reaction score
+¥+¦+¦-ä+¼-ü+¦++-é said:
I voted that a person should brush their teeth but I would like to attach an "*" to my vote.

I personally think they should be brushed (especially at the parish level), but if a spiritual father decides to tell people not to then I wouldn' argue or pass judgement.
Has anyone ever had the experience of their spiritual father instructing parishioners not to brush their teeth before receiving communion? I'd imagine(or at least I'd hope!) priests are concerning themselves with weightier issues. I heard in the Polish Church this teeth brushing question is a big deal...is that true Nektarios?
8)

Linus7

Archon
Reaction score
prodromos said:
Matthew 6:16-18
And when ye fast, be not as the hypocrites, downcast in countenance; for they disfigure their faces, so that they may appear fasting to men: verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17 But thou , [when] fasting, anoint thy head and wash thy face, 18 so that thou mayest not appear fasting unto men, but to thy Father who is in secret; and thy Father who sees in secret shall render [it] to thee.
Amen!

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Most Poles don't know how to use complicated machinary like a toothbrush.

moronikos

Reaction score
Website
www.triodion.com
I also shower in the morning as well. Maybe I ought to use some kind of face mask to make sure a stray drop doesn't go anywhere it's not supposed to?

Linus7

Archon
Reaction score
If you go without brushing long enough, does that make you anti-Crest? :eek:

Sorry. Sometimes I can't help myself.

PhosZoe

Elder
Reaction score
Linus7 said:
If you go without brushing long enough, does that make you anti-Crest? :eek:

Sorry. Sometimes I can't help myself.
;D I can't stop laughing at this. Yes, I'm that cheesy too. :D

For the record, yes I brush my teeth. I never knew toothpaste violated the fast? One doesn't actually consume toothpaste. Hmmm this is perplexing.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
I personally would make a distinction with stuff that you don't consume. For instance, I think bubble gum violates the fast, even if you don't consume it. But something like toothpaste is different. The latter is a matter of hygiene; the former is not.

Bogoliubtsy

Archon
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
I personally would make a distinction with stuff that you don't consume. For instance, I think bubble gum violates the fast, even if you don't consume it. But something like toothpaste is different. The latter is a matter of hygiene; the former is not.
What about those new listerine strips? Hmmm....
Someone contact an athonite, quick.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
I've used those Listerine strips as mouthwash when I used to wake up at 7.57am for a class at 8.00am that was ten minutes away...I suppose the same could be done in other situations.

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
7.57am for a class at 8.00am that was ten minutes away
I sort of do the same thing every morning for school. But then I ride my bike like a maniace to make a ten minute trip into a three minute one!

Linus7

Archon
Reaction score
+¥+¦+¦-ä+¼-ü+¦++-é said:
I sort of do the same thing every morning for school. But then I ride my bike like a maniace to make a ten minute trip into a three minute one!
If you keep doing that you may run into something and no longer have to worry about having any teeth to brush! ;)

peteprint

High Elder
Reaction score
I know that this is an old thread.  I happened to stumble upon this will surfing the web the other day:

"Before Communion, it is important not to brush your teeth or gargle water, in case water may accidentally be swallowed.  St. Severus Bin Moqafaa says, “Many gargle their mouth by water then partake in the Communion and this is wrong.  The mystery of God’s words to His servant Moses about the Passover lamb, who was an example of the Body of Christ, was to be eaten with bitterness, meaning bitterness of the mouth.”

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/thecopticchurch/sacraments/4_eucharist.html

I don't subscribe to this myself (I am not OO anyway) but I thought it strange; I had never heard anything about not brushing one's teeth before receiving communion.  I don't see the relationship to the Moses verse at all.

peteprint

High Elder
Reaction score
Marina,

I am glad that I have never received these instructions regarding brushing.  :)

GreekChef

High Elder
Reaction score
peteprint said:
I know that this is an old thread.  I happened to stumble upon this will surfing the web the other day:

"Before Communion, it is important not to brush your teeth or gargle water, in case water may accidentally be swallowed.  St. Severus Bin Moqafaa says, “Many gargle their mouth by water then partake in the Communion and this is wrong.  The mystery of God’s words to His servant Moses about the Passover lamb, who was an example of the Body of Christ, was to be eaten with bitterness, meaning bitterness of the mouth.”

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/thecopticchurch/sacraments/4_eucharist.html

I don't subscribe to this myself (I am not OO anyway) but I thought it strange; I had never heard anything about not brushing one's teeth before receiving communion.  I don't see the relationship to the Moses verse at all.
Maybe bitterness is supposed to be the taste we have in our mouths when we don't brush our teeth?

Please.  Honestly, this is the kind of legalism that is harmful in the spiritual lives of the faithful.  It's one thing if you're a monastic.  But for people in the world... too much.  Just MHO.

EVOO

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've wondered about the teeth-brushing thing, but I don't ingest toothpaste
(yuk), or drink the water I've used to rinse (double yuk). :p   

I agree with you, Presbytera, it does tend to be a tad legalistic.   

Monk Vasyl

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.ukrainianorthodox.org
If people are so concerned about swallowing a little water, toothpaste, or mouthwash, then what about saliva?  In that case no one,even the priest, could receive Holy Communion.  Use common sense and the advice of your spiritual father.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
If people don't brush before, when do they? You're not supposed to spit for awhile afterward, at least after you've eaten.

Monk Vasyl

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.ukrainianorthodox.org
I guess if we followed the rules by the letter, no one would brush their teeth or spit (a nasty habit, anyway), till the next day.  ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

I guess lots of us have too much free time on our hands,and very short Rules of Prayer.  ;)

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
Yes, the canons say that the faithful wash their mouth before Communion, and even give provisions for those who accidently swallow water while doing so:

Question: If anyone fasting with a view to communion, while washing his mouth, or in the bath, has swallowed water involuntarily, ought he to communed.

Answer: Yes. Since Satan has found an occasion whereby to prevent him from partaking of communion, he will keep on doing this more frequently.

(Canon 16 of St. Timothy of Alexandria)