• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Pope conducts a public exorcisim / Pope Francis - Performs Exorcism

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Yep..or so they say....what do yall think?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4936655/pope-francis-caught-on-video-performing-strange-ritual-on-fan.html#ixzz2TwDcEjcS

The astonishing incident between the Pontiff and the person in a wheelchair, took place immediately after Pentecostal mass on Sunday May 19.
The video shows how a priest leans across the boy or young man to tell Francis something, at which point the Pope’s expression becomes more serious.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4936655/pope-francis-caught-on-video-performing-strange-ritual-on-fan.html#ixzz2TwnLHXs9

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Oh, dear. I think the journalist and sub-editor had no idea of what was actually happening, so in good old journalist fashion fell back on the old adage of "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story". Trouble is I don't think they even achieved the second part of the adage. But as Schulz writes, "it is the Sun". Enough said.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Now, if they had caught the demons exiting the man's body...now, THAT would have been a story!

Seriously!  He's a priest...and is praying for a member of his flock.

What's so astonishing?

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Oddly, The Times, London, are now carrying this story as of 3 minutes ago in their Faith section!

Reaction score
Why should there be any shame over exorcism , The eastern Orthodox practice this too. As Jesus did in the Gospels.

Modern man seems to think this is a farce due to medical conditions now better understood.

However the well documented exorcisms performed in recent times are done with a Doctor present, and only after they have ruled out any known psychiatric medical conditions.

Read about Orthodox beliefs concerning exorcism here,http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith7079

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
In the orthodox tradition, wasnt there someone who said exorcisms while people entered into the Nave?

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Sinful Hypocrite said:
Why should there be any shame over exorcism , The eastern Orthodox practice this too. As Jesus did in the Gospels.

Modern man seems to think this is a farce due to medical conditions now better understood.

However the well documented exorcisms performed in recent times are done with a Doctor present, and only after they have ruled out any known psychiatric medical conditions.

Read about Orthodox beliefs concerning exorcism here,http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith7079
I think some folk think clergy should stick to their primary role of social work, plus being available for baptisms, wedding and funerals. Anything else is simply off the wall, obviously. ???

Reaction score
Are you saying that exorcism is off the wall ?

If so, then you should eliminate many verses in the Gospels where Jesus cures those with demons, and also where he sends others out to do the same.
Also for today who would you suggest to do this work ? Their are well documented cases where the persons had no known mental diseases when checked by several Psychiatrists and other Doctors, also they were present during the exorcism and have also contributed to the documentation of, and the validity of successful exorcisms.

Course one may question the need for a doctor to validate the presence of Satan and his demons who are legion.

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Sinful Hypocrite said:

If so, then you should eliminate many verses in the Gospels where Jesus cures those with demons, and also where he sends others out to do the same.
Also for today who would you suggest to do this work ? Their are well documented cases where the persons had no known mental diseases when checked by several Psychiatrists and other Doctors, also they were present during the exorcism and have also contributed to the documentation of, and the validity of successful exorcisms.

Course one may question the need for a doctor to validate the presence of Satan and his demons who are legion.
If you read carefully from the first words, "I think some folk think clergy should......". The rest was my take on the scepticism of the press, etc. Hence the emoticon. Like you I have a traditional Orthodox view on the validity of exorcism and have stayed at a monastery were exorcisms are carried out. My comment also was a swipe at those who expect the church to be there for Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals but otherwise have no commitment and no connection. Hope this clarifies things....

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Exorcism in the Latin Church has a very specific definition: the carrying out of the approved sacramental from the Roman Ritual by a priest.  Any other prayer directed at a demon ia a prayer of deliverance, which may also drive a demon out.  It is obvious Pope Francis did not do an Exorcism.  It is entirely possibly he said a prayer of deliverance.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Was this before or after he had a meeting with the bat boy and space aliens?

Tabloid news...

psalm110

Elder
Reaction score
Pope Francis appears to have performed an exorcism on a wheelchair-bound young man who believers in the practice claim was possessed by evil.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/10070991/Pope-Francis-performs-first-exorcism.html

http://youtu.be/9XHYFiAH4hY

I think the media/article have over exaggerated over this, he was simply praying for the man. If the demon was dwelling inside that man then the demon would of been shaken by the Popes presence when he placed his two hands on his forehead.

What are peoples thoughts on this ? do you think its real ?

Tommelomsky

High Elder
Reaction score
Sensationalistic journalism. If they cannot make a deal out it, they fake a deal out of it.
Just to make christians look bad and sell more newspapers, generate more visitors and ad-clicks on their onlinesites.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I watched the video, and it seemed to me this young disabled man was simply struggling to say something, perhaps overwhelmed by the emotion of being prayed for by the Pope. It did not look like an "exorcism" to me in any way.

Reaction score
Santagranddad said:
Sinful Hypocrite said:

If you read carefully from the first words, "I think some folk think clergy should......". The rest was my take on the scepticism of the press, etc. Hence the emoticon. Like you I have a traditional Orthodox view on the validity of exorcism and have stayed at a monastery were exorcisms are carried out. My comment also was a swipe at those who expect the church to be there for Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals but otherwise have no commitment and no connection. Hope this clarifies things....
Of course I kinda thought that was the case. But the sinner in me said attack first ask questions later. :angel:

psalm110

Elder
Reaction score
This was not an exorcism, he was simplying praying for the man. The only person who will ever now if there was a demon inside him would be the man inflicted, he's family and friends close to him who know him. I've seen similar reactions by people who were inflicted by demons when a priest, icon and holy communion would get close to them they would groan and struggle in that presence for a short time.

It's also interesting to note that demons are not stupid if they blow there cover it could lead unbelievers to believe in God especially in today's modern world where people deny the existence of God.