• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Pope Francis Confident in Unity with Orthodoxy

LukeDM

Reaction score

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I can't. I'm just waiting for His All Holiness Pope Francis, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God, and Grand Master of the Supreme Order of Christ to simply declare that we are unified. Done!

Stinky

Reaction score
I can't. I'm just waiting for His All Holiness Pope Francis, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God, and Grand Master of the Supreme Order of Christ to simply declare that we are unified. Done!
Then what?

Thetruthisgod

Reaction score
The patriarch of Constantinople does not speak for all of orthodoxy, even though to the outside world that is his position... the orthodox pope.

A false union will simply create schism.

I am not ok with compromising the faith to papal supremacists. The only way this union would work is if the Roman Catholic Church abandons these bad ideas.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Saxon, remember you are in Christian News and polemics are not allowed here. Thanks. —Ainnir
The patriarch of Constantinople does not speak for all of orthodoxy, even though to the outside world that is his position... the orthodox pope.

A false union will simply create schism.

I am not ok with compromising the faith to papal supremacists. The only way this union would work is if the Roman Catholic Church abandons these bad ideas.
The problem is that Patriarch Bartholomew isn't simply viewed by outsiders as the Orthodox Pope; he's making pronouncements more or less declaring supremacy over Orthodoxy, and certainly acting like he is. He has already needlessly fractured Orthodoxy, and there's no indication he's going to back down now.

I suspect in the near future we'll likely see the EP and its Hellenic sycophant jurisdictions isolated, maybe in full schism, from Orthodoxy.

Reaction score
Typical perpetual, top down tyranny; in some generations it is to compel ill will & in other times, a forced and phony “love”. There are so many ways we can see each other as saved by keeping the Lord’s commandments. We lack mutual theology to share the sacraments.

Menas17

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that any Orthodox (laity/hierarch) outside of the small sphere of the Ecumenical Patriarchate will go into union with Rome, he seems to be the only one interested. Even within Turkey the majority of Orthodox are under the Patriarchate of Antioch in Hatay. If the Romans want Patriarch Bartholomew and his Ukrainians, let them have them. I have my doubts that even a majority of the Greek Archdiocese of America would join, especially not the monasteries

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Any union between the Churches would cause schisms on both sides, and we'd be left with three Churches instead of two. Confessedly it would be one large Church and two smaller (and likely in the Roman case, tiny) Churches, but it certainly wouldn't be the lovey-dovey all embracing reunion one might hope for.

noahzarc1

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any union between the Churches would cause schisms on both sides, and we'd be left with three Churches instead of two. Confessedly it would be one large Church and two smaller (and likely in the Roman case, tiny) Churches, but it certainly wouldn't be the lovey-dovey all embracing reunion one might hope for.
Basically nothing would change. Sounds like what it is today. We haven't even had union and there are still schisms on both sides and we're basically three churches instead of two anyway.

LukeDM

Reaction score
And here HAH Bartholomew reciprocates:

https://spzh.news/en/news/76241-dia...mi-uvenchajet-polnoje-jedinstvo--glava-fanara

Patriarch Bartholomew announced that the Vatican and the Orthodox Church will unite despite the objections of those who consider ecumenism a utopia. The ecumenical dialogue between the RCC and the Orthodox Churches leads to the goal that will be crowned by the long-awaited full unity, Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople said in his sermon on the feast of the Apostle Andrew the First-Called, reports Pro Oriente.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Please take any strong feelings and comments to the proper forum. Thanks. —Ainnir

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The actual statement is here:

Also, nothing has changed since the 2016 Great and Holy Council.
Item 15:
Upon the successful conclusion of the work of any theological dialogue, the pan-Orthodox decision about the restoration of ecclesiastical communion must, however, rest on the unanimity of all the local Orthodox Churches.

As Biro posted in another thread, this misunderstanding seems to reoccur often here.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Christ did not come to give us thousands of denominations. Only one.

I still pray that the Holy Spirit will inspire the RCC and all others to come being Orthodox. Longshot, but I prayed for a bicycle and I got one this year, so...

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
You can't run a proper airline unless you have passengers. You're heading to bankruptcy.
To proclaim a large scale unity without the knowledge most are with you is to proclaim a lie. Unity alone is a contradiction.
Unity of heart and mind is a good thing -the patriarch should make sure to achieve that with his own people first.

Patriarch Bartholomew, my patriarch, has, to the grief of everyone on all sides of the matter, already become involved in one major split; running headlong into another is at least a sign of not being actually unifying rather than being genuinely unifying.

You're not really "ecumenical " if you're not "unified" with the hearts and minds of the oecumene/οἰκουμένη at large -you're factionalizing, A factional patriarch would not be an ecumenical one in substance and truth but in name only. A sort of anti-patriarch.

In 1964, Pope Paul VI stressed that unity cannot be bought at the expense of truth, and that “compromise is in contradiction with God who is Truth.” Division if grounded in differences in good faith and conscience with respect to the truth he understood was a virtue, not a lack of charity. Having been first shown a unity of truth, and having further seen a unity of our own people, I will, in that case with everyone arm in arm beside me), be on this unity like a hobo on a ham sandwich, But even a hungry hobo wants to see what's in the sandwich before he eats it; he doesn't want your mystery meat.

Last edited:

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
"Upon the successful conclusion of the work of any theological dialogue, the pan-Orthodox decision about the restoration of ecclesiastical communion must, however, rest on the unanimity of all the local Orthodox Churches."

+++

After Ukraine, though, who really knows what this patriarch might or might not do?

Last edited: