• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Pope Francis: Hope to be the focus of Jubilee Year 2025.

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Faith
Traditional Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction
The Pope - but my heart is for Re-Union!
The Pope has called for much prayerful preparation for the Jubilee Year 2025. 2025, as we know, will mark the 1700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea. Thoughts?

Do you think there is good hope for the Churches to get together for some kind of Re-Union Council? Surely, such a Council would be great, and long overdue imho.

Taken from: https://gulfcoastcatholic.org/pope-francis-says-hope-be-focus-jubilee-year-2025

"Feb 11, 2022 / (CNA) - Pope Francis called on Friday for a “great symphony of prayer” ahead of the Jubilee Year in 2025 ...

The celebration in 2025 — the year that marks the 1,700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea — will be the Catholic Church’s first ordinary jubilee since Pope John Paul II presided over the Great Jubilee of the year 2000. The Jubilee of Mercy overseen by Pope Francis in 2015 was an extraordinary jubilee."

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
The Pope has called for much prayerful preparation for the Jubilee Year 2025. 2025, as we know, will mark the 1700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea. Thoughts?

Do you think there is good hope for the Churches to get together for some kind of Re-Union Council? Surely, such a Council would be great, and long overdue imho.
I try to avoid the comings/goings/utterances both vocal and written of Pope Francis.

Do you think there is good hope for the Churches to get together for some kind of Re-Union Council?
If by "Churches" you mean Roman Catholic Church, inclusive of all 23 sui iuris Churches, and the Orthodox Church, no.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
UOCC
If by "Churches" you mean Roman Catholic Church, inclusive of all 23 sui iuris Churches, and the Orthodox Church, no.
If Patriarch Bartholomew and Archbishop Elpidophoros are still in position at that time, then I can absolutely see them being invited to something like that - and attending. What comes of it, who knows.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
If Patriarch Bartholomew and Archbishop Elpidophoros are still in position at that time, then I can absolutely see them being invited to something like that - and attending. What comes of it, who knows.
I'm a skeptic--they may "meet" and "discuss" and I'm sure it'll look pretty and all with lots of incense, gorgeous vestments, and cool hats, but re-union?? I seriously doubt I'll live to see even the serious beginnings of it.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AANA
I'm a skeptic--they may "meet" and "discuss" and I'm sure it'll look pretty and all with lots of incense, gorgeous vestments, and cool hats, but re-union?? I seriously doubt I'll live to see even the serious beginnings of it.
I think we all know how these events go by now. Both parties show up, find creative ways to skirt around their traditional prohibitions against praying with "schismatics"/"heretics", shake hands/give cheek kisses, exchange some silly gifts, take pictures, and go home. See y'all at the next ecumenistic hootenanny, folks.

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
The Greeks had already concluded a union with Rome. They lost Constantinople. Ukraine has established its own schismatic "church" - now is losing the country. It is curious what will happen in 2025...

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Well, it's debatable who is winning the Russia/Ukraine War, and I think Ukraine may manage to defend its homeland after all, contrary to all expectations, by, say, this Christ-Mas, but that belongs in the Politics Sub-Forum, so I started for a new thread for it there.

Regarding Re-Union, it is proceeding but slowly but surely. Who knows, it may very well be the impetus needed for World Peace in these perilous times: the Re-Union of Christendom will show the world that we can and must have Universal Love for All Humanity, avoid needless wars etc.

According to a new report from the Union of Orthodox Journalists, during his trip to Mt. Athos the previous month, Pat. Bartholomew attempted to convince several Athonite abbots and monks that there are no dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable ...

Catholics “are just as Christian as we are,” Pat. Bartholomew emphasized, adding that the recent gift of the relics of St. Peter from Pope Francis is proof of the Catholic church’s nearness to Orthodoxy.
And: https://www.timesnownews.com/intern...patriarch-kirill-in-historic-embrace-to/31472

With a hug and an exclamation of "Finally," Pope Francis met Friday with Patriarch Kirill in the first ever meeting between a pontiff and the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, a historic development in the 1,000-year schism that has divided Christianity.

"We are brothers," Francis said as he embraced Kirill in the small, wood-paneled VIP room of Havana's airport, where the three-hour encounter took place.

"Now things are easier," Kirill agreed as he and the pope exchanged three kisses on the cheek. "This is the will of God," the pope said.
Of course, there remains some work to be done, but that's what Prayer is for. I'm convinced Re-Union would be a big blessing both to Christendom, in terms of making it much easier for our liberal/secular/worldly friends to turn to Christ and become interested in Church issues.

God Bless.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Well, it's debatable who is winning the Russia/Ukraine War, and I think Ukraine may manage to defend its homeland after all, contrary to all expectations, by, say, this Christ-Mas, but that belongs in the Politics Sub-Forum, so I started for a new thread for it there.

Regarding Re-Union, it is proceeding but slowly but surely. Who knows, it may very well be the impetus needed for World Peace in these perilous times: the Re-Union of Christendom will show the world that we can and must have Universal Love for All Humanity, avoid needless wars etc.

According to a new report from the Union of Orthodox Journalists, during his trip to Mt. Athos the previous month, Pat. Bartholomew attempted to convince several Athonite abbots and monks that there are no dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable ...

Catholics “are just as Christian as we are,” Pat. Bartholomew emphasized, adding that the recent gift of the relics of St. Peter from Pope Francis is proof of the Catholic church’s nearness to Orthodoxy.
And: https://www.timesnownews.com/intern...patriarch-kirill-in-historic-embrace-to/31472

Of course, there remains some work to be done, but that's what Prayer is for. I'm convinced Re-Union would be a big blessing both to Christendom, in terms of making it much easier for our liberal/secular/worldly friends to turn to Christ and become interested in Church issues.

God Bless.
Wowzer! "There are no dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism..."??!!??!!o_Oo_O I really do mean NO disrespect, but...what was he smoking? That is, if Pat. Bartholomew really even said that. According to the article you quoted and linked no one was allowed to record the discussion, so we just have someone's word for that. Is it verifiable??

Otherwise, you're clearly more of an optimist than I. And yes, I've no doubt whatsoever that Christ wants His Church united, and that it WILL happen. One day.

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Yup, His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew did say that; I've read multiple news sources on the same. I don't think it is Doctrinal Indifferentism either. Rather, the Doctrinal Differences of the past have now been largely resolved. For e.g. by seeing that Filioque ("and the Son") and Per Filium ("through the Son") can be understood as referring to the same Hypostatic Procession in two legitimately complementary (as the CCC puts it) ways.

With regard to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill, he and Pope Francis have met together, called each other brothers in the same Christian Faith, Pastors of the same Church of God, etc and are trying to move closer toward full communion. Obviously, the current ongoing War in Ukraine is a blocker.

Yes, I am an Optimist. Hope is a Good Thing, and it is impossible to hope too much in God. Glad you Pray and Hope for Re-Union too. God Bless.

As an aside, I remember when people were saying RvW would never be overturned, that it sounded good but was impossible. Then, it happened.

And just like, legal abortion ended in many states in America. I believe the rejoicing in all Christendom will be even greater when Full Union comes.

God Bless.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Yup, His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew did say that; I've read multiple news sources on the same. I don't think it is Doctrinal Indifferentism either. Rather, the Doctrinal Differences of the past have now been largely resolved.
I think most Orthodox Christians and many Catholic Christians (those of both groups who think about it and care about it, anyway) would take serious issue with that statement. Do you have any real, documented evidence to support it? And I don't mean news stories of hierarchs glad handing each other and making vague and ambiguous statements in flowery language.

I know many Catholics don't see what the "problem" is. Orthodox only have to accept papal infallibility, papal universal jurisdiction, papal supremacy (as opposed to papal primacy), the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, the "development of doctrine", and a few (hah!) other "minor" inconsistencies and everything will be peachy keen. I mean, what's the problem??:rolleyes:

With regard to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill, he and Pope Francis have met together, called each other brothers in the same Christian Faith, Pastors of the same Church of God, etc and are trying to move closer toward full communion. Obviously, the current ongoing War in Ukraine is a blocker.
And just how are they doing that? You know, besides the photo ops and the aforementioned flowery language?

Hope is a Good Thing, and it is impossible to hope too much in God.
I couldn't agree more. And then there's this:

"Do not put your trust in princes,
Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help.

His spirit departs, he returns to his earth;
In that very day his plans perish.

Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help,
Whose hope is in the Lord his God" Psalm 145 (146): 3-5

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
When the anathemas were lifted between the Roman Catholics and Constantinople, there were many confused people. Orthodox going to catholic churches and receiving communion thinking everything was fine. Rome and Constantinople creating more confusion is expected.