• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Pope Francis in Tbilisi

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
From BBC News (1 Oct 2016):

"Pope Francis has said Mass in a largely empty stadium on a visit to Georgia after the majority Orthodox Christian Church asked followers to stay away.

"Orthodox believers were asked not to take part in Roman Catholic services and a Church delegation due to attend also stayed away.

"But Church officials said the decision had been taken by mutual agreement.

"It was one of the smallest crowds seen at an outdoor papal Mass during Francis's foreign trips."

More at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37530407

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Vatican attempts to mend ties with the Russian Church have so far not resulted in a papal visit there. On the other hand, Georgia aspires to join the EU and Nato.
I wonder if the writer believes that the Pro-Western stances of Georgia might have something to do with the visit.

Vanhyo

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
BOC
No hard feelings, the pious Georgians are simply obedient to the canons of the Church.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
I used to know one Polish RC priest that was serving on a "mission" (part of the Neocatechumante activities) in Georgia; really, there are still many RCs that treat Orthodox countries (maybe because the fact that most of tchem have suffered decades of Communism) as the ones that need mission and evangelisation. He was talking about Georgia as a country persecuting Catholcis, that they can't even to the sing of cross in their own manner. But on the other hand, he loved the Jesus Prayer and was welcomed by priests of my Orthodox parish (that time I wasn't officialy Orthodox, and this priest used to be vicar at my ex-Roman Catholci parish)...

So I'm not surprised by this statement
One Georgian priest told AP it was a protest against Catholic attempts to convert Orthodox Christians.

Anyway, there was nice, short concierto of Georgian Orthodox Church music for pope Francis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKKvdQPsMz8