• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Pope issues new canon law requiring priests, nuns to report clergy sex abuse

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pope issues new canon law requiring priests, nuns to report clergy sex abuse and coverups

Law offers protections for whistleblowers, but doesn't require them to report to police

Pope Francis issued a new canon law requiring all Catholic priests and nuns around the world to report clergy sexual abuse and coverups by their superiors to church authorities, in a groundbreaking new effort to hold the Catholic hierarchy accountable for failing to protect their flocks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-new-law-priests-nuns-report-abuse-1.5128984

PrelestWatch

Post Moderated
Reaction score
Christian morality by itself should already compel one to report this without question. If the church is commanding you to do something that God wouldn't want, you choose God over the church authorities. I've heard abuse stories of priests manipulating their victims in that they will only administer sacraments in exchange for favors, basically exploiting the church teaching that the sinfulness of ministers doesn't invalidate sacraments, but these things went on for years for people who were being groomed and manipulated in the church.

Eamonomae

Julian the Apostate
Reaction score
This might sound “earth-shattering,” but I seriously wonder how this will affect the integrity of the Sacrament of Confession

CooperDog

Reaction score
They should reinstate the code of justinian. Pedophiles get the sword.

PrelestWatch

Post Moderated
Reaction score
Eamonomae said:
This might sound “earth-shattering,” but I seriously wonder how this will affect the integrity of the Sacrament of Confession
Yes, like I said, the state of the minister does not affect the validity of the sacraments given, I know that.

Thing is, there is the apologetic that this kind of behavior occurs at about the same rate among every religious group and is only sensationalized because the Catholic church is so big and because people don't expect that from a moral religious community. Yet, the Orthodox have not experienced this at the same rate as the Romans, and I don't think it's really the same in every group as they say. Orthodoxy is a major religion in communist countries like Russia. The communists would have a field day getting their hands on something like this happening in Orthodoxy so as to lead the public away from it, but so far nothing's come to light, even though there is the occasional account of similar abuse in Orthodoxy.

PrelestWatch

Post Moderated
Reaction score
Gloria Tibi Trinitas said:
Russia is no longer a communist country.
Then please pardon my ignorance on that matter, thanks.

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Well, that's a start ~ and if they look into it ~ find it to be true and defrock and turn in over to the law ~ that would be progress ~ not as before ~ when it was reported ~ the one who reported was punished ~ yes ~ that's a start in the right direction ```

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
This is an improvement by the RC Church. But I think that one of the major factors is the celibacy requirement for entering the RC priesthood. I think that it is a deterring factor for heterosexuals in entering the Church because it's common for heterosexuals to plan or wish to marry at some point as a big desire for their future.