• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Pope urged to setup Religious UN

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
In today's Sunday Times it is reported that Shimon Peres, former Israeli Prime Minister, has urged Pope Francis to setup a religious UN.

I hope he has the good sense to politely but firmly kick this dreadful notion into the long grass. Such an institution may only be a milestone to the coming together of a hodgepodge of faiths to form the Church of the Antichrist.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,502
Reaction score
265
Points
83
Age
41
What does Peres think the purpose of such an organization would/should be?
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Isn't this basically the role of the WCC?

People get together, pretend to get along and issue toothless declarations.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Agabus said:
Isn't this basically the role of the WCC?

People get together, pretend to get along and issue toothless declarations.
Oh, not to worry, the Pope would be its infallible head.

Is Outrage!
 

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
7,322
Reaction score
0
Points
0
That would actually be a very interesting idea. Though, I don't know what would be accomplished from it.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
Agabus said:
Isn't this basically the role of the WCC?

People get together, pretend to get along and issue toothless declarations.
Exactly.  Except Now there would be two institutions that would be worthless.
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
Justin Kissel said:
What does Peres think the purpose of such an organization would/should be?
To seek revenge on Lionel Hutz.



So, I guess the difference between this organization and the WCC is that this one would include non-Christian bodies?
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
Justin Kissel said:
What does Peres think the purpose of such an organization would/should be?
To get global religious consensus before starting crusades.
 

Luke

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
7,204
Reaction score
66
Points
48
Who would be on the Security Council? :police:
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
primuspilus said:
Gamliel said:
Who would be on the Security Council? :police:
All of the baptists who think that the jews building the next temple will somehow have America defeat the Chinese, while listening to Toby Keith....murica.

PP
LOL!!!
 

Luke

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
7,204
Reaction score
66
Points
48
primuspilus said:
Gamliel said:
Who would be on the Security Council? :police:
All of the baptists who think that the jews building the next temple will somehow have America defeat the Chinese, while listening to Toby Keith....murica.

PP
:D
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
I'm just imagining the possible sanctions they would issue, and it makes me laugh.
 

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Maria said:
Jetavan said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
....
So, I guess the difference between this organization and the WCC is that this one would include non-Christian bodies?
Something similar to the Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions, whose 2015 conference will be held in my favorite Mountain Standard Time city.
Lord have mercy.
Just for clarification: "The Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions seeks to promote interreligious harmony, rather than unity."
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Jetavan said:
Maria said:
Jetavan said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
....
So, I guess the difference between this organization and the WCC is that this one would include non-Christian bodies?
Something similar to the Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions, whose 2015 conference will be held in my favorite Mountain Standard Time city.
Lord have mercy.
Just for clarification: "The Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions seeks to promote interreligious harmony, rather than unity."
Just a matter of time!
 
Top