• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Possible canonization for Ioannis Kapodistrias

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Apparently there is a movement to canonize the first political leader of modern Greece, Ioannis Kapodistrias. Does anyone have more substantial information on this?

Scanty info in the link: http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/12/dirt-from-grave-of-saint-porphyrios.html

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Gunnarr said:
no just no
A better question is why? What connection is there to Orthodoxy beyond being a professed comunicant ?

Washington is the "father" of the United States and a secular "saint" of sorts. Reading a few articles about Ioannis Kapodistrias,it seems as if he is rightly esteemed as an important secular leader like Washington from, but a Saint?

The more I see going on in the Church, the more depressed I get. Petty geographic squabbles, close alignment with nationalistic politics and politicians, the American problem....

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
Gunnarr said:
no just no
A better question is why? What connection is there to Orthodoxy beyond being a professed comunicant ?

Washington is the "father" of the United States and a secular "saint" of sorts. Reading a few articles about Ioannis Kapodistrias,it seems as if he is rightly esteemed as an important secular leader like Washington from, but a Saint?

The more I see going on in the Church, the more depressed I get. Petty geographic squabbles, close alignment with nationalistic politics and politicians, the American problem....
Perhaps more is known of his pious life. He also appeared to be a peacemaker. Why only see him as a politician? St. Fyodor Ushakov was an admiral, but he was canonized for his pious life. This dependence on clerical saints is a warping factor of Orthodox piety.

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
:-\

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Shanghaiski said:
Hawkeye said:
If people had read this, they may not have rushed to judgement.
I'm not suggesting anyone rush to judgment, but none of the secular, and lengthy, biographies found online mention any degree of religious connotation.To this non Greek, I have to admit some skepticism when it comes to the intermingling of the Hellenic mythos with matters  of faith. Maybe there is a case here, but....

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
Have any miracles been attributed to him? I thought that was a prerequisite.

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
The glorification of the last tsar created a precedent, I suppose.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Gorazd said:
The glorification of the last tsar created a precedent, I suppose.
Or 5 or how many other Rurikids, Georgian tzars, Serbians kings, Byzantine emperors...?

For me, St. Theodore was the striking one.

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Shanghaiski said:
vorgos said:
Miracles are not necessary.
+1, that's more of the RC canonization process.
OK. But unlike St Constatine for example there is nothing, that I know, that warrants canonisation. Does anyone have a link that shows his pious life or what he did to help the Church? And why so late?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
vorgos said:
Does anyone have a link that shows his pious life or what he did to help the Church?
I've got links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_of_Milan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Bibles_of_Constantine

Apostolos

High Elder
Reaction score
Kaposidtrias was a pious man, he especially revered the Theotokos Glykophilousa (sweet-kissing):

The above is his personal icon which had a handwritten note attached on the back:
"Sweet-kissing Mary, pray to your Son to grant me wisdom that I may lead His people and mercy for me to enter into His Kingdom - 1829"

It's also a well known fact that he twice rejected any salary or expense account (he asked for his fee to be distributed to the widows and orphans).
One of his first orders he issued as Governor of free Greece to his ministers was against Freemasonry and other secret societies in general:

"The administration recognises that many citizens believe in secret societies and persuade others to follow these societies...
Greece has just been freed and these secret societies begin exercise influence on politicians, army officers, and perhaps naval officers too. The current administration considers this a fundamental issue and asks for this order to be made known to civl employees and military personnel: they are hereby obliged to reveal whether they are members in a secret society, or not...
you have to make clear to them that the two pledges they have taken are uncompromisingly conflicting, one must either serve the fatherland or the secret society...
thus, if any civil employee or military officer chooses to remain member of a secret society, he must resign from public office.

June 8, 1828

The Governor,
Ioannis Kapodistrias

Although he's the most revered political figure in modern Greek history, and I'm not aware of any western political figure (and head of a state) openly opposing Freemasonry, I think the proposal by some (?) of my compatriots for his possible canonisation, is a bit far-fetched (and corollary of the incompetent and corrupt political peronnel we have as current leaders)

BTRAKAS

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
vorgos said:
Does anyone have a link that shows his pious life or what he did to help the Church?
I've got links:
I think Reply No. 31 was asking of John Kapodistrias' life, not that of St. Constantine, Equal to the Apostles.

BTRAKAS

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shanghaiski said:
vorgos said:
Miracles are not necessary.
If his remains are uncovered, in-corrupt relics and a sweet aroma from them would be possible signs of sanctity.

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
Basil 320 said:
Michał Kalina said:
vorgos said:
I've got links:
I think Reply No. 31 was asking of John Kapodistrias' life, not that of St. Constantine, Equal to the Apostles.
Thx Michal but Basil is correct.

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
Just did a google search and found references to him being called "the Saint of politics". There is even a compilation of his letters published for the 180th anniversary of his death titled just that.

http://www.skroutz.gr/books/423498.%CE%99%CF%89%CE%AC%CE%BD%CE%BD%CE%B7%CF%82-%CE%91-%CE%9A%CE%B1%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%B4%CE%AF%CF%83%CF%84%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%B1%CF%82-%CE%BF-%CE%AC%CE%B3%CE%B9%CE%BF%CF%82-%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%82-%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%BB%CE%B9%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AE%CF%82.html

Still odd that it took this long...

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
vorgos said:
Just did a google search and found references to him being called "the Saint of politics". There is even a compilation of his letters published for the 180th anniversary of his death titled just that.

http://www.skroutz.gr/books/423498.%CE%99%CF%89%CE%AC%CE%BD%CE%BD%CE%B7%CF%82-%CE%91-%CE%9A%CE%B1%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%B4%CE%AF%CF%83%CF%84%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%B1%CF%82-%CE%BF-%CE%AC%CE%B3%CE%B9%CE%BF%CF%82-%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%82-%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%BB%CE%B9%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AE%CF%82.html

Still odd that it took this long...
Took long for what? This is about average it seems to me.