• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Pray for me

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
I am a disgruntled protestant seeking the truth.

I have asked many questions.

It is time to experience orthodoxy, and I intend to go to an orthodox church soon.

My request is for you all to pray for me...and even within your orthodox prayer circles.

Question.....Can I watch the divine liturgy or must I exit the sanctuary at this time?

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA Diocese of the South
Lord, have mercy.

Yes, you can stay for the whole thing.  There will, however, be a place in the liturgy where you hear, "Depart catechumens, all that are catechumens depart; let no catechumen remain"--or something to that effect--this is something "left over" from the days of persecution where the uninitiated could not be trusted with the sacred mysteries of the Church and were taken elsewhere for catechism.  Anymore, we let folks stay (although there are some monasteries I know of that still uphold the rule and request that all non-Orthodox exit the nave--what you call the sanctuary--at that time (for us, the "sanctuary," or altar area, is behind the icon screen, or iconostasis).

God be with you.

Landon77

Elder
Reaction score
Can you give me a propper name to pray for you by?  I didn't see one in your profile.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Landon77 said:
Can you give me a propper name to pray for you by?  I didn't see one in your profile.

My name is Eric Kelm in Victoria Canada

And I was really impressed with the story of St. Polycarp which I just learned recently. I feel a fondness for The apostle John as well.
Perhaps you can ask them to pray for me as I still don't feel comfortable praying to the saints.

jlerms

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Eric, you will be in my prayers as well.  One who seeks the Truth so fervently will surely be rewarded by the grace of God.  I hope you find a comforting peace when you attend the Divine Liturgy.    God bless you,    Juliana :)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
We will be praying for you, God bless you on your spiritual journey :)

Silouan

High Elder
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation at one point, Eric.  Before I converted to Orthodoxy I had to struggle to adjust some of my old beliefs.  In the end I found that that was easier to almost start from scratch and build up rather than trying to adjust everything.  Start with something simple and prayefull. 

I know you had previously mentioned you were looking for an icon of Christ.  If you have an icon already (and if you don't you could even print one from the computer if you don't want to buy an icon at this point) or if not even take some time to pray.  For me I started with something very simple - I would slowly read Psalm 50/51 (Have mercy on me, O God, acording to the geat mercy...) once a day and later added more psalms.  You don't have to rush - baby steps are fine for now.  Hopefully you will meet some nice Orthodox people when you attend church.  Spend some time around them and see how they live and pray. 

Nektarios

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Silouan said:
I was in a similar situation at one point, Eric.  Before I converted to Orthodoxy I had to struggle to adjust some of my old beliefs.  In the end I found that that was easier to almost start from scratch and build up rather than trying to adjust everything.  Start with something simple and prayefull. 

I know you had previously mentioned you were looking for an icon of Christ.  If you have an icon already (and if you don't you could even print one from the computer if you don't want to buy an icon at this point) or if not even take some time to pray.  For me I started with something very simple - I would slowly read Psalm 50/51 (Have mercy on me, O God, acording to the geat mercy...) once a day and later added more psalms.  You don't have to rush - baby steps are fine for now.  Hopefully you will meet some nice Orthodox people when you attend church.  Spend some time around them and see how they live and pray. 

Nektarios

Thank you.

Funny you mention Psalm 51. I have recently picked this one out and read it frequently.

I printed this icon out. I think it is one of the oldest and it really looks great I think.
http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=SI00201