• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Prayer beads from other religions

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Are there any official positions on using prayer beads from other religions, like Buddhist Mala beads or Islamic prayer beads when praying as Orthodox Christians? What if they are pretty beds and you can use them for the Jesus prayer or something, then what are your views on it?

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
If they do not contain symbols or texts of other religions-use on health. If there are any doubts, you can ask the priest to consecrate them with a prayer "to consecrate/sanctify every/any thing".

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Yeah those called Buddhist mala where you have the bodhi or mala seeds as a necklace or wrist band.

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
When an Orthodox Christians tie prayer ropes, we pray to our God with each fold, so that the whole process is sanctified. I would not be surprised to learn that people of other faiths do something similar, inviting their gods into the process. Which would make me a bit uncomfortable.

As isxodnik pointed out, you can check with your priest.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I'm ordering a Buddhist mala necklace for my birthday.

Ignatius II

Reaction score
Why would you want to use other than a Christian prayer rope? There are numerous Orthodox or Catholic ropes available.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Ignatius II said:
Why would you want to use other than a Christian prayer rope? There are numerous Orthodox or Catholic ropes available.
I believe in freedom of personal choice.