• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Prayers for the Environment in the Divine Liturgy?

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
?
I recently got an encyclical from the Metropolitan which reads the following:

(...) on September the 4th, before concluding the Divine Liturgy, they must (the priests under this jurisdiction) recite a prayer for the Environment which comes with the present letter and read the messgae from His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch about the beginning of the New Ecclesiastical Year and the environmental protection (...)

Now I know HAH Patriarch Bartholomew has become known as the Green Patriarch, but isn't it a little weird to put that in the Divine Liturgy?

Attachments

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Wanderer, but in All the East
It seems potentially very strange. The prayers for good weather, abundant harvests, etc. are all in relation to people. If it is phrased in a similar context, I don't think it's a big deal. But if the prayers are, as you say they are, for the environment...

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Environment has a lot to do with the way we live and our upbringing ~ How we feel etc.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
What strange is about that?