• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Prayers from different Orthodox jurisdictions.

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Sourozh
For a while I've been using the morning and evening prayers from the Antiochian website http://www.antiochian.org/morning-prayers , and finding them helpful (even if the discipline of a prayer rule is something I'm finding quite difficult ). It crossed my mind that, as the church I've been to a couple of times is Russian Orthodox, perhaps I ought to use their daily prayers. So, I looked them up, and talk about daunting! They go on for ever! That got me wondering: for private devotions, is it normal to stay with materials from one's own jurisdiction, or pick and choose within the constraints of the EO?

Christina

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
I don't know what "normal" is.  I use The Orthodox Study Bible, A Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians, the GOARCH website, and the OCF webpage.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Jurisdictional boundaries are fluid. Use whichever version (i.e. wording) inspires you.

As a beginner, you might find the Rule of St Pachomius useful:

http://www.saintjonah.org/services/stpachomius.htm

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Sourozh
Thanks for the suggestions, Christina and Arachne.

Porter, it's a church in the Diocese of Sourozh, http://www.sourozh.org/ the British and Irish branch of the Moscow Patriarchate.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
We use Daily Prayers for Orthodox Christians from Holy Cross, but it's really not enough material and options for my satisfaction. I suppose eventually we'll be defaulting to the Jordanville. What I really wish is that Sophia Press would re-release their book, partly because it's just so beautiful ... Oh wait, would you look at that, it's back in stock!

https://melkite.org/products-page/prayer-books

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience, Greeks tend to follow a slightly more "liturgical" format for their private devotions. That is, our prayer books generally have Small Compline for evening prayers (with the option for inserting a canon or akathist in the middle) and morning prayers based off of parts of either the Midnight Hour, Matins, or both. I personally like this "liturgical-based" style, but I am also Greek. An advantage to the "Russian-style" prayers is that you don't have to worry about keeping your rule within the order of services (for instance, during Holy Week, it is bizarre to pray Compline after one has already done Matins for the next day, though I guess its not really that big of a deal).

For "Greek-style" prayer books, I recommend two:

Holy Transfiguration Monastery's and "An Orthodox Prayer Book" put out by New Rome Press (the latter of which is available in a very nice pocket-sized hardcover version). If you have questions on either, let me know!

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
I would ask the priest at the church you're attending what translation the church uses for the more common prayers (the Trisagion, for instance) or what he uses in his own personal prayer.