• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Prayers when you miss Liturgy

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
What prayers should I do on the days I have to miss Liturgy? I've always been curious, but never have asked until now. It happens a good bit, I probably only attend 2 a month.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
You'll get different answers to this question depending on who you ask. One way is to find a copy of the Hours and Typika (you can find the variable portions at various sites like antiochian.org or fr whiteford's site, which also has online copies of the various services and Typika, heading to bed soon or I'd look up the exact links). There's also, IIRC, a certain amount of Jesus Prayer recommended for each missed service that has been handed down from the monasteries- again, if I recall correctly its somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand.

Of course, you could always ask your priest  ;)

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
I've been missing a LOT of Liturgies and other services lately due to my health.  I find it helpful to pray the Matins (Orthos), Liturgy and Vespers when these services are normally held.  I have the Antiochian Service Book - though I think it probably takes me longer than if I were actually there - I have this sense of being one with my church family - and I don't get so dried out.  

This is a suggestion, only - though, I don't know what your priest would recommend.  It may be wiser, since he knows you, to ask him to suggest what you might do when you are unable to get to Liturgy.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
A couple weeks ago, I was out sick from church, and I read from a book of the Hours. That plus some Scripture reading may help.

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
I try to at least read Matins on the mornings I am unable to make it to church.

fasteddy64

Reaction score
When we were still just a struggling little misson church with no Priest we would always get together on Sunday morning for Reader's Typika.
So on the Sunday mornings that I am at work I always rread that service.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Hours are always a great way to start the day.  Plus, be sure to at least read the prescribed Epistle and Gospel for the day.