• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

praying for Satan to be saved?

believer74

Reaction score
I've read the Mountain of Silence recently (very interesting book!), and have seen a post here, in which individuals talk about the importance of praying that even Satan and his demons are eventually saved.  I understand this goes with an understanding of God as perfect love... but aren't there so many passages in the Bible that talk about hell? For one example,
Matthew 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire that has been prepared for the devil and his angels!"
So if hell was prepared for Satan and his angels, then isn't it God's will that that be the end of them? And not some kind of ultimate salvation?  Comments? Thanks.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
believer74 said:
I've read the Mountain of Silence recently (very interesting book!), and have seen a post here, in which individuals talk about the importance of praying that even Satan and his demons are eventually saved.  I understand this goes with an understanding of God as perfect love... but aren't there so many passages in the Bible that talk about hell? For one example,
Matthew 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire that has been prepared for the devil and his angels!"
So if hell was prepared for Satan and his angels, then isn't it God's will that that be the end of them? And not some kind of ultimate salvation?  Comments? Thanks.
A couple of links to threads where this has been discussed before:

I believe in Universal Reconciliation

The Demon and Monk Abba

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
It is not an impious question, for the greatest expression of Christian faith is loving our enemies and blessing those that persecute us. But manifestations of pure spiritual evil are different from wicked and sinful human beings who nevertheless retain the image of God. Therefore, I do not think it is proper to pray for the devil or to allow our hearts to develop sypathy for him and his minions. But I do think it is OK to hope and trust that the grace, love, mercy, and power of God will ultimately annihilate all evil and lead all beings both physical and spiritual to Himself.

But this is only my humble opinion. I am neither a Priest nor a Saint.

Selam

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

c.steward

Reaction score
Nebelpfade once linked me to a wonderful quote from the Life of St. Martin:

"Martin preaches Repentance even to the Devil.

NOW, the devil, while he tried to impose upon the holy man by a thousand injurious arts, often thrust himself upon him in a visible form, but in very various shapes. For sometimes he presented himself to his view changed into the person of Jupiter, often into that of Mercury and Minerva. Often, too, were heard words of reproach, in which the crowd of demons assailed Martin with scurrilous expressions. But knowing that all were false and groundless, he was not affected by the charges brought against him. Moreover, some of the brethren bore witness that they had heard a demon reproaching Martin in abusive terms, and asking why he had taken back, on their subsequent repentance, certain of the brethren who had, some time previously, lost their baptism by falling into various errors. The demon set forth the crimes of each of them; but they added that Martin, resisting the devil firmly, answered him, that by-past sins are cleansed away by the leading of a better life, and that through the mercy of God, those are to be absolved from their sins who have given up their evil ways. The devil saying in opposition to this that such guilty men as those referred to did not come within the pale of pardon, and that no mercy was extended by the Lord to those who had once fallen away, Martin is said to have cried out in words to the following effect: "If thou, thyself, wretched being, wouldst but desist from attacking mankind, and even, at this period, when the day of judgment is at hand, wouldst only repent of your deeds, I, with a true confidence in the Lord, would promise you the mercy of Christ."[38] O what a holy boldness with respect to the loving-kindness of the Lord, in which, although he could not assert authority, he nevertheless showed the feelings dwelling within him! And since our discourse has here sprung up concerning the devil and his devices, it does not seem away from the point, although the matter does not bear immediately upon Martin, to relate what took place; both because the virtues of Martin do, to some extent, appear in the transaction, and the incident, which was worthy of a miracle, will properly be put on record, with the view of furnishing a caution, should anything of a similar character subsequently occur."

http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~eknuth/npnf2-11/sulpitiu/lifeofst.html#22

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Reaction score
Website
stranniki.blogspot.com
Faith
Russian old Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Stranniki
Good health to everyone!

The devil sinned outside of our time, where repentance is unavailable. How can repentance (or thereby salvation) be available to the devil? The devil sinned in eternity, making an eternal choice. There is no turning from such. I do not see how we can have any sympathy towards the devil for such actions as he made. There is something more though to the effect the devil has on mankind during our temporary earthly lives. The devil is a constant, constant enemy, especially to anyone who would desire to obey God. Perhaps we can be thankful for temptations which try us, but all thanks is due to God, Who in His wisdom permits this in our time. The temporary nature of out existence allows us the opportunity of repentance, whereas the devil does not have that at all. The torments that await those of us who are remain disobedient until death is another aspect of the equation to be mindful of as well. May we all be found at the end of our earthly lives being steadfast in a life of repentance. Anything else is death which is really the only lasting thing the devil offers.

Forgive, brother John

Nazarene

High Elder
Reaction score
If I'm correct this falls under the heresy of Universalism which was condemned at Constantinople, right?

The truth is Satan will not appreciate any prayers made for him. He, like Pharoah has permanently hardened his heart, he made his choice - hell (eternal separation from God) and so that's where he and his minions who followed him will go. Satan is not interested in communion with God whatsover, he is interested in leading souls away from God. It is true that God is love however God "gives up" (for lack of a better term) when an individual has made it clear to Him that he/she never wants to have any communion with Him. What Universalists don't understand is that human beings (and celestial beings) are stubborn, yes it is possible for someone to refuse to repent and submit to the Almighty, and never change their minds once they've made that decision, and God knows the hearts of everyone. In which case God then gives them what they really want - an eternity without him.

Simayan

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nazarene said:
If I'm correct this falls under the heresy of Universalism which was condemned at Constantinople, right?

The truth is Satan will not appreciate any prayers made for him. He, like Pharoah has permanently hardened his heart, he made his choice - hell (eternal separation from God) and so that's where he and his minions who followed him will go. Satan is not interested in communion with God whatsover, he is interested in leading souls away from God. It is true that God is love however God "gives up" (for lack of a better term) when an individual has made it clear to Him that he/she never wants to have any communion with Him. What Universalists don't understand is that human beings (and celestial beings) are stubborn, yes it is possible for someone to refuse to repent and submit to the Almighty, and never change their minds once they've made that decision, and God knows the hearts of everyone. In which case God then gives them what they really want - an eternity without him.
I think it's pretty clear that the love of God is unending and unfaltering, regardless of how the person feels or acts.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Simayan said:
Nazarene said:

I think it's pretty clear that the love of God is unending and unfaltering, regardless of how the person feels or acts.
Amen.

bogdan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Metropolitan Kallistos Ware tells a story that before he was ordained, he went on a long trip by car with a bishop. He wanted to take the opportunity to have a deep conversation with the bishop, so he asked him if he thought even the Devil could be saved.

The bishop gruffly replied, "Mind your own business."

What I take from his story is that we cannot know and we should focus on our own salvation and not the salvation of someone else - not to mention the one whose only action is to pull us away from God.  (THat being said, I agree with the idea that the Devil's heart cannot be turned and he will indeed go to "the fire prepared for the Devil and his angels" in the end.)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
bogdan said:
Metropolitan Kallistos Ware tells a story that before he was ordained, he went on a long trip by car with a bishop. He wanted to take the opportunity to have a deep conversation with the bishop, so he asked him if he thought even the Devil could be saved.

The bishop gruffly replied, "Mind your own business."
Very good point. :)