• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Pre-communion fast

thismanisdan

Reaction score
Website
lordjesuschristhavemercy.blogspot.com
Hello all. I was just curious if most orthodox hold to a three-day pre-communion fast or if its a small minority. Maybe its because i'm in a convert church but I don't know of many people who do this. Generally I thought just from midnight on was the common practice along with the wednesday/friday/lenten periods.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
The three day fast is for people who only commune a few times a year. It's sort of like boot camp for receiving communion. You are correct, if you keep the weekly fasts and also fast from midnight (or in some parishes from Vespers), then this is mostly what is required.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I don't have much experience with Greek praxis. I know that Russians and Serbs do the three day fast, but the ones I know don't commune often.

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
thismanisdan said:
Thanks. In general, is this a greek practice?
It's quite common for Greeks to abstain from meat, eggs, etc. on Saturday in addition to the regular Friday fast and the total fast on Sunday mornings. Nearly everyone I know who follows this practice communes on a weekly basis, although it's probably true that it arose when infrequent communion was the norm.

An almost universal practice among Greeks is to abstain from oil after Vespers on Saturday evening if communing the next day, so the difference between a 3 day fast and normal practice is basically just what you have for breakfast/lunch on a Saturday.

JimCBrooklyn

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of St. Petersburg
Ok, I'm sorry to bump an old-ish thread, but we will be visiting a ROCOR church this week, and I'm curious about it.
As far as I know, they follow the regular ROCOR guidelines, and my wife is fairly certain that the priest requires a 3day communion fast, something that was, oddly enough, never required at any parish I attended in Russia.
My questions are:
How can it be a 3day fast if a Wednesday fast is also assumed? Would this not make it 4 days, no matter what?
Is it a strict fast, or are some things permitted?
Is it ROCOR-wide?
What is the origin of this fast?

I'd ask the priest, but he's entirely unreachable via phone/email, and I will not see him before we attend. For a variety of reasons, mostly because we are on the edge of a major life event, I would really like to commune this week, but I don't want to go against the traditions of the parish/jurisdiction.
Thanks,
In Christ,
Jim

bogdan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I know several ROCOR priests and in talking about various juridictional differences have never heard of such a requirement, for priests or laymen. Certainly the priests I know don't fast for the last three days of every week. Total abstinence after midnight is the requirement as far as I know.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I'm bumping the thread too, because not long after converting, I visited Russia and a priest told me about the three day fast (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning), and others whom I asked about it there confirmed it, and when I came back to the US, I thought EOs here confirmed it for me (Probably even my own OCA priest did when I asked him).
But years later based on what I am hearing online, it looks to me like the OCA doesn't have the three day fasting practice.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
JimCBrooklyn said:
Ok, I'm sorry to bump an old-ish thread, but we will be visiting a ROCOR church this week, and I'm curious about it.
As far as I know, they follow the regular ROCOR guidelines, and my wife is fairly certain that the priest requires a 3day communion fast, something that was, oddly enough, never required at any parish I attended in Russia.
How do you know that the parishes that you attended did not require it?
It's a common Russian practice apparently, so maybe what happened is that the parish had the practice but did not inform you of it because fasting is something that you do on your own, not something that they generally question you about right before you commune.

My questions are:
How can it be a 3day fast if a Wednesday fast is also assumed? Would this not make it 4 days, no matter what?
That wouldn't make it a 4 day fast, because the concept of a three day fast refers to a 3 day consecutive fast.

Is it a strict fast, or are some things permitted?
It's not a strict fast except on Sunday morning until liturgy.

Is it ROCOR-wide?
What is the origin of this fast?
I take it that the Russian tradition includes this fast going back even before the founding of ROCOR. ROCOR aims to be a conservative-traditional Russian-cultural jurisdiction, and it's under the MP, so I would expect them to generally have this tradition, which is confirmed by what you heard about that parish.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
It comes down to how often one communes and what his priest or spiritual father blesses.