Premarital Sex Is Not a Sin?

Seekingtrue

Elder
Reaction score
Ok I know you will all shoot me for saying this but when I was complaining to my Orthodox father confessor that I m in relationship with my boyfriend and I know premarital sex is a big sin but it's difficult for us to abstain he said'Jesus only talked about monogamy'.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Seekingtrue said:
Ok I know you will all shoot me for saying this but when I was complaining to my Orthodox father confessor that I m in relationship with my boyfriend and I know premarital sex is a big sin but it's difficult for us to abstain he said'Jesus only talked about monogamy'.
Why did you think we'd shoot you for this? 

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Rohzek said:
I've also met murderers who are very kind and much more honorable than most people. That being said, murder is still wrong. The same principle applies to pre-marital sex, despite it being a far less grave sin.
That message was not for you.  It was a rhetorical device.
I wasn't really replying to you. Sorry for the confusion. I was just replying to the general outcry that just because it might have less consequences today due to birth control and that it seems harmless, it in no way detracts from the fact that God forbids it. By no means is it the end of the world, but it is still something God forbids. Sure people now get married at much later ages than they did one or two centuries ago, so it is much more difficult. But that's the price of modernity, at least how I see it.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Rohzek said:
minasoliman said:
Rohzek said:
I've also met murderers who are very kind and much more honorable than most people. That being said, murder is still wrong. The same principle applies to pre-marital sex, despite it being a far less grave sin.
That message was not for you.  It was a rhetorical device.
I wasn't really replying to you. Sorry for the confusion. I was just replying to the general outcry that just because it might have less consequences today due to birth control and that it seems harmless, it in no way detracts from the fact that God forbids it. By no means is it the end of the world, but it is still something God forbids. Sure people now get married at much later ages than they did one or two centuries ago, so it is much more difficult. But that's the price of modernity, at least how I see it.
I don't disagree.  I was simply writing what I wrote in trying to connect with a particular poster who uses this line of argumentation in another thread that is somewhat off topic from this one.  :)

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Every sexual act requires both to be in holy union, everything outside this union is fornication -> mortal sin 100%. Even we are forbidden to pray for that kind of sins.

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Are we really forbidden to pray for someone who has fallen into any sort of sin, no matter how terrible? Christ certainly spent/spends His time and energy healing sinners of all kinds who repent, so why shouldn't we pray that someone caught in the grips of sin find release from it?

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Well, this is said by st. John

1John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Indocern said:
Well, this is said by st. John

1John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
So, somebody who has sex before marriage is completely irredeemable and beyond the power of Christ for you? How depressing.

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
To me all people are same. I just try to give some info on the sins based on the Bible.