• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Priest mistaken for KKK member

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
A priest dressed in a long white robe was mistaken for a member of the KKK at Indiana University--Bloomington.  It then started a social media firestorm with a retraction later offered, but with justification offered because the person was rightfully scared.  This is beyond ridiculous.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/04/06/indiana-university-students-mistake-priest-for-kkk-member/

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Episcopalian-ish
Jurisdiction
I pray for all bishops
“So what happened tonight goes like this: a person saw white robes and what looked to them like a weapon, got scared (rightfully so), warned people, warned staff, which in turn caused me to warn my residents because I need to look out for my residents, which in turn made it spread.”
How was it right for said person to make assumptions, especially ones based off of ignorance and that propagated unwarranted fear? 

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
HaydenTE said:
“So what happened tonight goes like this: a person saw white robes and what looked to them like a weapon, got scared (rightfully so), warned people, warned staff, which in turn caused me to warn my residents because I need to look out for my residents, which in turn made it spread.”
How was it right for said person to make assumptions, especially ones based off of ignorance and that propagated unwarranted fear?
You know.

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Episcopalian-ish
Jurisdiction
I pray for all bishops
NicholasMyra said:
HaydenTE said:
You know.
I do?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Ha, Breitbart.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
It means another stupid non-event becomes a headline for the right-wing crybaby outrage mongers.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
That is by no means confined to the right wing. Donning the victim mantle seems to be our national pastime as of late.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Iconodule said:
It means another stupid non-event becomes a headline for the right-wing crybaby outrage mongers.
Yeah, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with making faulty assumptions, expressing outrage on social media, then retracting it but only after the fear was justified because of, you know, feelings. 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
scamandrius said:
Iconodule said:
Yeah, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with making faulty assumptions, expressing outrage on social media, then retracting it but only after the fear was justified because of, you know, feelings.
College kids being dumb is news to you?

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Although he doesn't look scary:

The students were right in being cautious.

The original source material:
http://thetab.com/us/indiana/2016/04/05/last-night-white-robed-priest-mistaken-armed-kkk-klansman-1804
http://thetab.com/us/indiana/2016/04/06/dominican-friar-1859

Agabus

The user formerly known as Agabus
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
podkarpatska said:
I think it is more about the total.ignorance of religion among many young Americans.
Or the Klan for that matter.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
from one of opus' links

And, to answer the question on everyone’s mind, at the Red Mango Father Jude ordered an original and dark chocolate froyo mix with coconuts and peanuts on top.
This was extremely important.  I lost sleep over this just thinking about what he ordered

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Iconodule said:
scamandrius said:
Iconodule said:
This is more than just about being dumb and you know that.  So many of these college kids have been so programmed to see racism, sexism, take-your-pick-ism in anything that they overreact, broadcast it via social media, the truth comes out but then they say they are justified in their mistakes because of their feelings. 

seekeroftruth777

Archon
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
*facepalm*

These kids go to school, and come out more stupid than ever. This Country is doomed, if these special snowflakes can't tell the difference between a priest, and a klansmen. What are these spoiled brats learning, other than victimhood? SJW'ers at their finest.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
What has happened to America's youth. You should consider reinstating the draft and drill some sense into them.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Iconodule said:
scamandrius said:
Iconodule said:
College kids are knuckleheads.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:

Unlike HuffPo?

That is why the word is pronounced "stu-DENSE".

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Opus118 said:
Although he doesn't look scary:

The students were right in being cautious.

The original source material:
http://thetab.com/us/indiana/2016/04/05/last-night-white-robed-priest-mistaken-armed-kkk-klansman-1804
http://thetab.com/us/indiana/2016/04/06/dominican-friar-1859
Yes, they're right to be cautious about anything unfamiliar walking through campus and looking suspicious, but there's a huge difference between merely being cautious and assuming the worst. The student who "sounded the alarm" made an ass of himself by crying "WOLF!" He would have done better to ask questions and identify the suspicious character rather than alarm others to the presence of a "Klansman".

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I've grown in affinity lately for some of Breitbart. Milo Yiannopoulos is the greatest.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
I thought Dominicans were supposed to wear a black cope over their white habits, hence the English nickname blackfriars, just as Carmelites wear a white cope over their brown habits, hence whitefriars or magpies, and Franciscans wear a grey cope and habit (hence greyfriars), or brown in the case of the Cappucins (hence cappucinos).

It seems like if he were dressed in the classical Dominican appearance he could have avoided this.  But a huge number of other religious groups wear purely white robes.  Norbertine fathers, for example.  Or Samaritans, and various Islamic clerics, and Sikhs.  And Ethiopian Orthodox wrap themselves in a white shroud.  We use white baptismal robes.

Also, I would fear they might think our Paschal processions are some sort of prelude to a cross burning, especially if our clergy are vested in white rather than the Russian red.

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for the accusations that these priests are guilty of cultural appropriation of KKK culture.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Cyrillic said:
What has happened to America's youth. You should consider reinstating the draft and drill some sense into them.
Our military has become an political playground for social experimentation, so I'm not sure that would help.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Cyrillic said:
Would reinstating the Netherlands draft drill the dandy out of you?

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
wgw said:
I thought Dominicans were supposed to wear a black cope over their white habits, hence the English nickname blackfriars, just as Carmelites wear a white cope over their brown habits, hence whitefriars or magpies, and Franciscans wear a grey cope and habit (hence greyfriars), or brown in the case of the Cappucins (hence cappucinos).

It seems like if he were dressed in the classical Dominican appearance he could have avoided this.  But a huge number of other religious groups wear purely white robes.  Norbertine fathers, for example.  Or Samaritans, and various Islamic clerics, and Sikhs.  And Ethiopian Orthodox wrap themselves in a white shroud.  We use white baptismal robes.

Also, I would fear they might think our Paschal processions are some sort of prelude to a cross burning, especially if our clergy are vested in white rather than the Russian red.
How do you know so much that you can tell a clergyman outside your own church what he's supposed to wear? ???

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
The Klan may be a semi-esoteric organization in its origins. Their pointy hats might have an origin in the Spanish rituals of wearing similar robes, like the La Paz brotherhood? 

Seville

Seville. Notice the circle around the symmetrical cross.

I'm not going to post klan images here, but here's a link for comparison:
https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/2/4/16/enhanced-buzz-18404-1360015130-10.jpg

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
PeterTheAleut said:
wgw said:

How do you know so much that you can tell a clergyman outside your own church what he's supposed to wear? ???
Well, because every icon of Dominicans and every historic photo I have of them shows them attired with a black cope.  Wearing a white cope is not unusual these days, but it is not really the tradition.  I have a friend who is a traditionalist Dominican who celebrates the mass according to their traditional Latin rite in the Bay Area.  I also personally admire St. Dominic; the order's later involvement in the Inquisition was awful, of course, but St. Dominic is someone who if Orthodox-RC reconciliation occurs, I would be prepared to venerate; he focused on non-violent vernacular preaching to try to convert the Cathars.  His successors apparently grew impatient with that and resorted to the sword and the stake-fire.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
rakovsky said:
The Klan may be a semi-esoteric organization in its origins. Their pointy hats might have an origin in the Spanish rituals of wearing similar robes, like the La Paz brotherhood? 

Seville

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/2/4/16/enhanced-buzz-18404-1360015130-10.jpg
Yeah, I'm sure a bunch of WASPy white supremacists looked to Catholic Spain for costume ideas. 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Those KKK guys sure did like dem catliks!

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Rohzek said:
I'm just waiting for the accusations that these priests are guilty of cultural appropriation of KKK culture.
This legitimately made me LOL.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
wgw said:
PeterTheAleut said:
wgw said:

Well, because every icon of Dominicans and every historic photo I have of them shows them attired with a black cope.
So because you've seen a few pictures of Dominicans, you think you know everything about what they traditionally wear.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Mor Ephrem said:
rakovsky said:

Yeah, I'm sure a bunch of WASPy white supremacists looked to Catholic Spain for costume ideas.
The Freemasons and some other esoteric groups use the "rosy cross" (rosicrusia) and associate with the Knights Templar, even though those elements are Catholic and the ritualists are Protestant in background. The KKK also has an esoteric aspect and was made in connection with secret societies.
John Lester would boast about the occult-like power of the mysterious name, "There was a weird potency in the very name Ku KLux Klan", he said.... They also created mysterious sounding titles that assigned a job to each of the six men... J. Kennedy was Grand Magi...
They Called Themselves the K.K.K.:
By Susan Campbell Bartoletti
the Ku Klux Klan appropriated from Spanish Holy Week the costume with its long hooded robe and two slits for eyes to hide the identity of the wearer.
Pagan Spain, Richard Wright, Publisher Univ. Press of Mississippi, 1957(Segregation era book)

The image of witches and wizards in pointed hats probably comes from this Celtic/Druidic root...  It's doubtful however that the Klan in 1870 knew anything about the Nazarenos. It's far more probable that the inspiration for the pointed hat came from the fact that  the dreaded exectioners of the Spanish Inquisition wore them, in drawings from books that were common currency in the Sourth. These night riders wanted to inspire terror, so they unwittingly borrowed a symbol from cathlicism, a religion that they despised. Go figure.
Conspiracy Theories and Secret Societies For Dummies
By Christopher Hodapp, Alice Von Kannon

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/7nnosh/chappelle-s-show--frontline----clayton-bigsby-pt--1---uncensored

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
I've read that the John Birch Society deliberately modeled itself after communist organizations; it was a "beat them by emulating them" mindset. The KKK actually did draw some inspiration for how it was run from Catholicism, despite (or perhaps because of) the Klan's hatred of it.

More recently we have people like Anders Breivik citing Al-Qaeda and jihadism as influences.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Mor Ephrem said:
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/7nnosh/chappelle-s-show--frontline----clayton-bigsby-pt--1---uncensored
A real classic! LOL!

seekeroftruth777

Archon
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
Mor Ephrem said:
Chappelle at his peak, lol classic first couple seasons