Priest practices both Anglicanism and Islam

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I suppose that this is the type of religious syncretism the secularists want us to practice so that we are loyal to the Church of our own selves rather than that of Christ.

Notice how she regards her profession of Islam as a maturation of her being in love with Christ.

http://www.ecww.org/publications/Voice/June2007.pdf 

A little more than a year ago, the Rev. Dr. Ann Holmes Redding [page 9] found herself
at the doorway of a new world, Islam, and wasn’t quite sure how she got there.
As she reflected on her journey, she realized Jesus was her guide. Now both a
practicing Muslim and an Episcopal priest, Redding shares her thoughts on how the
two faiths inform each other.

“The way I understand Jesus is compatible with Islam,” Redding explains, “and
although there are Christians and Muslims who think I must convert from one to
the other, the more I go down this path the more excited I am about both Christianity
and Islam.”

Redding credits her upbringing for early exposure to interfaith relationships. She was
baptized by an African Methodist Episcopal minister but the only Sunday school she
attended was Episcopal. She attended a Unitarian youth group in high school when
the Episcopal group disbanded. She was influenced by a cooperative community near
where she grew up that was comprised of mostly Quakers, Unitarians and Jews. Her
father was a prominent civil rights lawyer whose work brought him and the family into contact with people of many faith backgrounds.

After an introduction to a Muslim prayer practice in early 2006, Redding knew
she had been wrestling with a call to Islam. She approached a Muslim woman and
told her so, and the woman replied, “Christianity has been good to you and you to
it, and you don’t have to choose.” That made all the difference in Redding’s choice to
practice Islam.

“What Islam has done for me is shed this light on Christianity and shown for me
anew what a glorious way Christianity is,” she explains. “We Christians, in struggling to express the beauty and dignity of Jesus and the pattern of life he offers, describe him as the ‘only begotten son of God.’ That’s how wonderful he is to us. But that is not literal,” she continues. “When we say Jesus is the only begotten one, we are saying he’s unique in some way. Islam says the same thing. He’s the only human aside from Adam who is directly created by God, and
he’s different from Adam because he has a human mother. So there’s agreement—this
person is unique in his relationship to God.” Christianity also says that we are all part
of the household of God and in essence brothers and sisters of Jesus. Muslims take
the figurative language of “only begotten,” make it concrete and contradict it: God “neither begets nor is begotten.”

“I agree with both because I do want to say that Jesus is unique, and for me, Jesus
is my spiritual master,” Redding says. “Muslims say Mohammed is the most perfect.
Well, it depends on who you fall in love with. I fell in love with Jesus a long time ago
and I’m still in love with Jesus but I’d like to think my relationship with Jesus has
matured.”

She added that what Islam does is take Jesus out of the way of her relationship
with God, “but it doesn’t drop Jesus. I was following Jesus and he led me into Islam,
and he didn’t drop me off at the door. He’s there, too.”

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, perhaps she could mature even more in her faith by going and living under sharia law...I'd give her about three months before she got her head lopped off.

Nacho

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like something that should be part of a traveling circus... ;D

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
At first I wondered if this is a case like the Revd David Hart who literally apostasised — formally converted — to Hinduism but somehow (probably by not telling them the whole truth) got his licence in the Diocese of Ely renewed, or if Dr Redding is simply doing what some liberals do, playing at another religion without actually joining.

Then I read the newsletter from the Diocese of Olympia. Yep, she's an apostate. Literally. And obviously she's not hiding it from the bishop - she's in the newsletter bragging about it!

In a way this is not news: since 1966 when James Pike was acquitted of heresy even though he repudiated the Trinity one can deny the teachings of the creeds and be a sitting bishop of the Episcopal Church even though on paper it is still a Christian church. A logical conclusion has been reached, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fr Richard John Neuhaus's point is played out, that when orthodoxy becomes optional it's only a matter of time before it’s banned. (Actually one can argue that this is happening right now.)

Dr R does sound ignorant of Christian theology but one wonders if at some point she had it all explained away leaving the mush she thinks is the Christian position.

Abuses have gone on in churches throughout history. I wonder if Olympia's new bishop will clean up this mess. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I understand the Episcopal ordinary of the Diocese of Utah, Kathryn Tanner Irish, born a Mormon, never really was baptised a Christian. (Mormons aren't Christians so their baptisms don't count according to classic Anglicanism.)

IS

High Elder
Reaction score
This lady is neither a Christian nor a priest nor a Muslim.

This lady follows a faith never seen nor known on face of the earth before her.

Don't we Orthodox have a word for people who make their own choices regarding faith apart from The Church?

Orthodox Bagpiper

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Well, perhaps she could mature even more in her faith by going and living under sharia law...I'd give her about three months before she got her head lopped off.
I think greek makes an excellent point. Nacho also makes an excellent point. This is like another circus sideshow under the big tent of the episcopal church.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
scamandrius said:
“We Christians, in struggling to express the beauty and dignity of Jesus and the pattern of life he offers, describe him as the ‘only begotten son of God.’ That’s how wonderful he is to us. But that is not literal,” she continues. “When we say Jesus is the only begotten one, we are saying he’s unique in some way. Islam says the same thing. He’s the only human aside from Adam who is directly created by God, and
he’s different from Adam because he has a human mother.
Good one Reverend! What a great way to cover up the fact that one is a scholarly failure ... Rather than do any serious theology and look at what the Church actually said about Arianism, let's go for our 15 minutes of fame by saying the stupidest and most offensive thing we possibly can as a representative of our Church.

TinaG

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
comethatmidnight.wordpress.com
"He's [Jesus] the only human aside from adam who is directly created by God..."

This statement sums up her whole screwed up belief system.  She's an Islamo-pseudo Christo, gnostico.  God help the congregation she serves or the spiritually gullible she feeds this stuff to.

Carole

Elder
Reaction score
Between this and the recent story of the two Episcopalian priests who got "married" (both men of course) it is clear that the Episcopalians aren't particular about who they admit to their "priesthood."

::)

“The way I understand Jesus is compatible with Islam,” Redding explains, “and although there are Christians and Muslims who think I must convert from one to the other, the more I go down this path the more excited I am about both Christianity and Islam.”
I hope she realizes that many (if not most) of those Muslims who think she must convert from one to the other would consider her offense as one justifiably punishable by death. 

What an idiot.

Carole

Elder
Reaction score
TinaG said:
It says he decided to renounce his Druid conversion within 24 hours - bet that's how long it took him to realize how much it was going to cost him to live on a Druid priest's salary.
:D

Tina you're probably spot on!

Reaction score
It is hard to discern if arrogance, stupidity, or wolfish deceitfulness apply to this individual.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Carole said:
Between this and the recent story of the two Episcopalian priests who got "married" (both men of course) it is clear that the Episcopalians aren't particular about who they admit to their "priesthood."
Sigh.  Actually, the Diocese and Bishops can be quite particular about who is allowed in the "Process" and then there's no guarantee that it will lead to seminary and ordination.    What people do afterwards is still part of the Free Will thing.  This woman is not the definition of Anglicanism, she is one individual.

I hope she realizes that many (if not most) of those Muslims who think she must convert from one to the other would consider her offense as one justifiably punishable by death. 

What an idiot.
Possibly not.  Likely not. She lives in a situation where things are not controlled or stringent.  I suspect that she is not going to move to Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia.  This seems somewhat syncretist, but calling her names isn't going to convince her to change her mind.

Sigh.

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
recent convert said:
It is hard to discern if arrogance, stupidity, or wolfish deceitfulness apply to this individual.
If you mean the woman in the article, possibly none of the above.  "wolfish deceitfulness"?  Whom would she be maliciously trying to deceive?  I'm afraid I don't follow.

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TinaG said:
It says he decided to renounce his Druid conversion within 24 hours - bet that's how long it took him to realize how much it was going to cost him to live on a Druid priest's salary.
I was there, following the whole unfortunate incident.  William Melnyk at my last knowledge is not an Episcopal Priest. The final renoucing of Orders was from what I know in the winter/spring of 2005.

There was a mess of attempts to cover tracks (hard to do on the 'Net thanks to cached sites) and erasures.  The Bishop of Pennsylvania could not ignore it, it made the papers, there were links and removals of links and ummm weak excuses on part of the ECUSA offical site. Mr. Melnyk stopped serving his parish, I would have to dig up the information, but it is in my mind that the Vestry asked him to step down. Some time later he went back to being a druid and has done some things like writing a novel with Druid and Christian themes.

And to counter such incidents and persons, I could give examples of Anglicans/Episcopalians who don't go that way and do things for the love of Our Lord and His Church. 

With Respect,

Ebor