• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Priests' Wives Who Were Verbally/Emotionally Abused by Fanantical Husbands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the Southern U.S.
I was one - and still am, in the communications I have with my (legally separated) husband, who is still serving.
My children became victims of brainwashing and reprogramming by him after I left, making me the "target" evil parent.
Even if i tell him white is white and black is black, no - I'm still wrong, because I HAVE to be wrong,
HAVE to be something in contrast to him - never equal to him, and inferior.

So the gossip spreads, the more and more you try to make a life without him, before the legal Separation or Divorce occurs.
Whatever you do is sustpect - and God help you if you have to be on mental health medication after what he's done to you.
Because now you are TRULY mentally ill -- truly inferior, liable to be CRAZY and a DANGER to both him and the kids! So he uses his power of eloquence to gaslight, whether it's at the Parish behind your back, in the neighborhood, or even in the local valley where you live, while you're searching for a new parish where you can worship in peace without him. Because he sill never, ever, EVER let you forget how you have fallen from Grace publicly, and that you are unforgiven for causing him public embarassment by abandoning him. And your kids!

I wonder how many other Priests' wives have had this happen to them, losing everything that was supposed to be there by way of the sacrament of Marriage -- even losing their relationships with their children, because a Wolf in Sheep's clothing is still allowed to serve, in order to provide a living "for the children", when secretly, his relationship with other women is more that of power than anything else in his life.

I used to think this would only happen in the Old Countries, but no - it still happens, even in America.

What is nightmarish now, is only thinking about what will happen at the Last Judgment. Not that you're a spotless sinner, but that you may very well be looking at an individual that may not be there in Paradise after the Second Coming of Christ.......

So finally, when you can't stand the mental anguish anymore, you pray to the Theotokos to please accept you, somehow, as you are. And if you're repentant and sincere, She does - and she blesses you by taking the pain away and allowing you to become a new Creation, even if you can't be a mother or virgin anymore. Somehow, she fills the gap by her Being, and you don't have to wonder about yourself anymore. She's indescribable in her Mystery......and since you are indescribable because of your condition, there is an exchange, not unlike the exchange we find when we offer ourselves through the Liturgy to Christ.

I will always get down on bended knees to thank the Theotokos for what she has done for me; helping to heal the Big Incurable Wound of man's division from God, and mankind's division against one another, but I still wonder about maybe those Priests' Wives who weren't able to "make it" through mentally, and could be out there, lost and without their Faith anymore, as the result of such total family devestation in their lives. If you've heard of one, tell them to come here to the boards, and to come back home again.
Someone will welcome them with open arms.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
My prayers. Check your private messages.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I don't have anything to add that would seem helpful or such, but I at least wanted to post thanking you for being willing to post about this.

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the Southern U.S.
I'm glad the forums are free enough to accept this kind of topic. I'm sure there should be a separate web page or virtual group out there that these women can turn to. Especially if they have no more family members. It would be a good group to have with the blessing of a spiritual father, and it could be offered across all jurisdictions - maybe made known to the Departments of Family Affairs or the Chancellory  if the wife is saying early on that there is an abuse problem. The Hierarchy expects these things to be solved temporally by secular courts, but the truly have no idea outside of telling the woman to "go to counselling" of how damaging this situation is to the essence of her Faith, publicly and privately, if the man is still serving publicly under his Ordination to the Priesthood.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
Lord have mercy, Yeah don't have much to say but thank you for speaking out.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Seraffa said:
I'm glad the forums are free enough to accept this kind of topic. I'm sure there should be a separate web page or virtual group out there that these women can turn to. Especially if they have no more family members. It would be a good group to have with the blessing of a spiritual father, and it could be offered across all jurisdictions - maybe made known to the Departments of Family Affairs or the Chancellory  if the wife is saying early on that there is an abuse problem. The Hierarchy expects these things to be solved temporally by secular courts, but the truly have no idea outside of telling the woman to "go to counselling" of how damaging this situation is to the essence of her Faith, publicly and privately, if the man is still serving publicly under his Ordination to the Priesthood.
Have you contacted your bishop and told him all of what is going on?

You do have the right to appeal to a Spiritual Court on this matter.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Seraffa said:
I was one - and still am, in the communications I have with my (legally separated) husband, who is still serving.
My children became victims of brainwashing and reprogramming by him after I left, making me the "target" evil parent.
Even if i tell him white is white and black is black, no - I'm still wrong, because I HAVE to be wrong,
It is a problem: I have personally known 3 priest wives who were both physically as well as emotionally abused by their fanatical husbands and left their husbands.  The laity were not very helpful in their support at all.  I admire your bravery for speaking out.  We as laity have to be more supportive.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Seraffa said:

So the gossip spreads, the more and more you try to make a life without him, before the legal Separation or Divorce occurs.
Whatever you do is sustpect - and God help you if you have to be on mental health medication after what he's done to you.
Because now you are TRULY mentally ill -- truly inferior, liable to be CRAZY and a DANGER to both him and the kids! So he uses his power of eloquence to gaslight, whether it's at the Parish behind your back, in the neighborhood, or even in the local valley where you live, while you're searching for a new parish where you can worship in peace without him. Because he sill never, ever, EVER let you forget how you have fallen from Grace publicly, and that you are unforgiven for causing him public embarassment by abandoning him. And your kids!

I wonder how many other Priests' wives have had this happen to them, losing everything that was supposed to be there by way of the sacrament of Marriage -- even losing their relationships with their children, because a Wolf in Sheep's clothing is still allowed to serve, in order to provide a living "for the children", when secretly, his relationship with other women is more that of power than anything else in his life.

I used to think this would only happen in the Old Countries, but no - it still happens, even in America.

What is nightmarish now, is only thinking about what will happen at the Last Judgment. Not that you're a spotless sinner, but that you may very well be looking at an individual that may not be there in Paradise after the Second Coming of Christ.......

So finally, when you can't stand the mental anguish anymore, you pray to the Theotokos to please accept you, somehow, as you are. And if you're repentant and sincere, She does - and she blesses you by taking the pain away and allowing you to become a new Creation, even if you can't be a mother or virgin anymore. Somehow, she fills the gap by her Being, and you don't have to wonder about yourself anymore. She's indescribable in her Mystery......and since you are indescribable because of your condition, there is an exchange, not unlike the exchange we find when we offer ourselves through the Liturgy to Christ.

I will always get down on bended knees to thank the Theotokos for what she has done for me; helping to heal the Big Incurable Wound of man's division from God, and mankind's division against one another, but I still wonder about maybe those Priests' Wives who weren't able to "make it" through mentally, and could be out there, lost and without their Faith anymore, as the result of such total family devestation in their lives. If you've heard of one, tell them to come here to the boards, and to come back home again.
Lord, have mercy.

I sympathize with your situation. It sounds absolutely terrible and I am only speaking as a parent who would be absolutely devastated if my wife took my son away from me and programmed him to despise me like what he is doing to your children.

We, Orthodox, talk much about supporting our priests; I don't think we speak and do enough to support the wives of priests and their kids, who have very stressful roles to play.  I don't know exactly what form that support should come in, especially in situations like that of the OP.  I would like to imagine that the Archdioceses here in America would have some sort of network to help priests' wives in situation like this.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Prayers for your and your family. In my life, growing up as the son and brother of Orthodox priests and now as the father of one, my family and I have been blessed to not have experiences as you have shared with all of us. But I am not naive and know that such things do occur. There is no doubt that the priesthood carries with it the very real risk of creating an environment for men who are obsessive and even cruel in their 'interpretation' of the teachings of the Church and the Word of God to run amok with their biological families and those of the faithful entrusted to them. I often wonder if better vetting (perhaps professional and not just by Bishops and other priests) of clergy before entering and while in training at seminary, if better pre marital counseling for couples planning to jointly enter to the 'life' of the clergy, if closer scrutiny of the newly ordained or received clergy were possible - perhaps such things as you describe could be minimized or avoided.

I have to say that I am increasingly disillusioned with much that I see going on in the Church today. There is a growing meanness and judgemental certainty that I see that permeates the spiritual life of many - including clergy and would-be clergy. Pray for the Church, these are tough times in the world and pray for those who serve Her with open hearts and a loving spirit.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Maybe a misimpression, but I believe St. Vladimir's Seminary has classes for wives of wanna-be priests.
Clearly needed.
Two things, tell your Bishop.
Find an Orthodox therapist or one who deals with domestic abuse victims. Abuse is an enabling & powerful issue to the abuser and he appears to be misusing the position, role, power and authority God put into his hands.
If he struck you, call the cops, PERIOD. and please.
Pray for him, as it is good you drew the line, now hold fast until clarity appears.
Prayers are said this day for you.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
Seraffa said:

What is also sad here is that there must be something wrong with the relationship of the parish and the Priest as well. The parish Priests I've known I've been pretty close to them or a member of their family as were other parishioners. This level of abuse would simply have been nearly impossible to hide in the communities I saw.

I understand all situations differ, but it is unfortunate the larger community either didn't want to know or weren't in a place to do so.

This is also a great argument for the wives of Priests' having their own jobs and thus extra-parish contacts and support. Abuse flourishes behind closed doors.

My deepest regrets to you.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
podkarpatska said:
Prayers for your and your family. In my life, growing up as the son and brother of Orthodox priests and now as the father of one, my family and I have been blessed to not have experiences as you have shared with all of us. But I am not naive and know that such things do occur. There is no doubt that the priesthood carries with it the very real risk of creating an environment for men who are obsessive and even cruel in their 'interpretation' of the teachings of the Church and the Word of God to run amok with their biological families and those of the faithful entrusted to them. I often wonder if better vetting (perhaps professional and not just by Bishops and other priests) of clergy before entering and while in training at seminary, if better pre marital counseling for couples planning to jointly enter to the 'life' of the clergy, if closer scrutiny of the newly ordained or received clergy were possible - perhaps such things as you describe could be minimized or avoided.

I have to say that I am increasingly disillusioned with much that I see going on in the Church today. There is a growing meanness and judgemental certainty that I see that permeates the spiritual life of many - including clergy and would-be clergy. Pray for the Church, these are tough times in the world and pray for those who serve Her with open hearts and a loving spirit.
A Priest I know that you knew well ruminated at times about the dangers of the Priesthood and was rather candid when speaking with younger Priests about his own missteps along the way in his family life. I was present for some of those talks.

It was a bit humbling to hear someone be so honest about their own failings in hope to help others avoid them, as "minor" as theirs' had been.

I've also known Priests well enough to know the weird dichotomy they are placed in. Sometimes parishioners just don't think they are regular people. A Priest I knew once had a close personal loss. I was new to the parish and offered my condolences.

He seemed angered at my words, so I asked if I had overstepped my bounds. He rhetorically asked me if I knew how many loved ones of his parishioners he had served at theirburials. He said not maybe one or two parishioners had inquired about his own state during this loss.

I had a similar encounter with a Priest's wife. She was going through a very difficult situation. I inquired about her well being and let her know that I had been through a similar situation and would be glad to lend a sympathetic ear. She and her husband and adult children were happy that someone wasn't treating their family member as a "saint" as saintly as she might've been.

The insularity caused both of these people to suffer because everyone though both were somehow more holy thus beyond need of human care.

The OP's sad story and these few I can share have shown me that parishioners need to be more available to their clergy and their families. Not sure if this is more of an American thing or not.

In any case, thought I would put out my own thoughts on this. Cause if you attend a parish you do have the opportunity to help care for group of people who might just get overlooked. 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
I know of a priest that visitted his parishoner's home, drunk with hosts (Nativity fast nonwithstanding), then he beat up the man and allegedly tried to rape his wife.

I know of a priest that had a sexual intercourse with his maid (sligthly mentally handicapped, she was 16 or 17 then).

Not sure what this thread is about.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
FatherGiryus said:
mike said:
Not sure what this thread is about.
Maybe you shouldn't post until you are.
The cases Michał has written about are well known in Poland, at least in the Orthodox society, they were described in the media and regarding the first priest, confirmed also by person I know.

But I suppose the abuses containted in the title of the thread are of different type.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Dominika said:
But I suppose the abuses containted in the title of the thread are of different type.
We only have a half of the story.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
orthonorm said:
podkarpatska said:

A Priest I know that you knew well ruminated at times about the dangers of the Priesthood and was rather candid when speaking with younger Priests about his own missteps along the way in his family life. I was present for some of those talks.

It was a bit humbling to hear someone be so honest about their own failings in hope to help others avoid them, as "minor" as theirs' had been.

I've also known Priests well enough to know the weird dichotomy they are placed in. Sometimes parishioners just don't think they are regular people. A Priest I knew once had a close personal loss. I was new to the parish and offered my condolences.

He seemed angered at my words, so I asked if I had overstepped my bounds. He rhetorically asked me if I knew how many loved ones of his parishioners he had served at theirburials. He said not maybe one or two parishioners had inquired about his own state during this loss.

I had a similar encounter with a Priest's wife. She was going through a very difficult situation. I inquired about her well being and let her know that I had been through a similar situation and would be glad to lend a sympathetic ear. She and her husband and adult children were happy that someone wasn't treating their family member as a "saint" as saintly as she might've been.

The insularity caused both of these people to suffer because everyone though both were somehow more holy thus beyond need of human care.

The OP's sad story and these few I can share have shown me that parishioners need to be more available to their clergy and their families. Not sure if this is more of an American thing or not.

In any case, thought I would put out my own thoughts on this. Cause if you attend a parish you do have the opportunity to help care for group of people who might just get overlooked.
Sometimes you can really offer words of wisdom and compassion, which is why I often get so irritated with you. You are blessed with the ability to put people down or lift people up. Most of us need lifting up. So more of this please.

Selam

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
orthonorm said:
podkarpatska said:

Sometimes you can really offer words of wisdom and compassion, which is why I often get so irritated with you. You are blessed with the ability to put people down or lift people up. Most of us need lifting up. So more of this please.

Selam
+1

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Putting down people who need to be put down is sometimes the most compassionate course of action, for both their listeners and for the people themselves.

I dare say that some cases of abuse might have played out differently if fewer people were willing to keep silent in the face of wrong.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
mike said:
Dominika said:
what do you think the other half of the story would reveal?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
mike said:
Dominika said:
Listen and believe. Women are constantly being gaslighted in this world and pretty sounding but ultimately empty prententions of fairness don't help the matter any.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
orthonorm said:
podkarpatska said:

This is the best response in this thread.

Thank you.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Volnutt said:
Putting down people who need to be put down is sometimes the most compassionate course of action, for both their listeners and for the people themselves.

I dare say that some cases of abuse might have played out differently if fewer people were willing to keep silent in the face of wrong.
I agree 100%. But bold confrontation and honest rebuke are much different from disparaging ridicule on an internet forum. Witticisms and mockery that get cheap laughs are hardly emotionally therapeutic or spiritually edifying. Some people don't have the ability to do otherwise. Orthonorm does. So I expect more from him. I don't mind the barbs thrown my way. It's good for me. But others might be crushed by it. We never know how our words might effect someone. I think it's best to err on the side of affirmation and encouragement and leave ridicule aside. But again, this is the interetz and I don't make the rules. 

Selam

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
mike said:
Dominika said:
Are you implying the OP's husband has his justification for hurting his wife?
Or WHAT?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
LenInSebastopol said:
mike said:
Dominika said:
Or WHAT?
Maybe. Maybe he doesn't.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
mike said:
LenInSebastopol said:
mike said:
Dominika said:
Or WHAT?
Maybe. Maybe he doesn't.
You're rarely helpful, and you remain true to form here.   

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
mike said:
LenInSebastopol said:
mike said:
Dominika said:
Or WHAT?
Maybe. Maybe he doesn't.
I guarantee that he has his side of the narative and justified it alll.
Been there, seen that and no longer guileless. BUT, assuming you are right, follow the evidence, interview, and be reasonable about it, not so naive. Another sad part, if & when done, shame will be upon all those whom it touched; thus the silence by those that knew and said nothing outside their gossip circle.
Lord, thank You for showing You Mercy to all of us who do not deserve so.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
mike said:
LenInSebastopol said:
mike said:
Dominika said:
Or WHAT?
Maybe. Maybe he doesn't.
Jesus man are we going to hold the first OC.net court over this? Just stop already, please.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Guys,

Just an fyi, we had some issues with this recently.  Taking the Lord's name in vain is considered blasphemy against the Lord in the forum, and as you may know, blasphemy directly against God, the Church, and the saints are against the rules in any part of the public fora.  Please try to avoid doing this, especially taking the Lord's name in vain.

Also, the main reason this is locked is because this is a sensitive issue, and I worry about the insensitive remarks made to the OP.  Therefore, I hesitate to unlock this.  Until further review, this will remain locked.

Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.