Primuspilus sues Bethesda for making Fallout 4 'too addictive'

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
A Russian man has filed a lawsuit against games maker Bethesda after a three-week session on Fallout 4 cost him his job and marriage. According to Russia Today, the 28-year-old from Krasnoyarsk has confirmed in a statement he wants 500,000 roubles (£4,700) in compensation from the games developer as he says he did not know the game would “become so addictive”. After seeing an advert for the game, the man, who has not been named, is said to have downloaded it with the intention of casually playing it in the evenings. However, he played the game for the next three weeks, rarely breaking for either sleep or food, and even skipped work and social events to carry on playing.

After skipping work on several occasions the man was fired, and his refusal to engage socially meant his wife also left him. A lack of sleep and food also began to affect his health.

In a statement, the man said: “If I knew that this game could have become so addictive, I would have become a lot more wary of it. I would not have bought it, or I would have left it until I was on holiday or until the New Year holidays.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/technology-and-gaming/russian-man-sues-bethesda-for-making-fallout-4-too-addictive-372847.html

Ok, so maybe is isn't primuspilus, but if I remember correctly, he voiced similar concerns immediately before it's release. We can only hope that he is having more social success than this poor unfortunate Russian man.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, yes the game is designed to keep rewarding you for playing it, and from a certain point of view one could call that insidious. And we did punish the tobacco companies for knowingly pushing an addictive product.

On the other hand, it seems like that's just a true of Pac-Man and this would end in a condemnation of all video games, not just AAA open-world Gargantuas. I'm a little leery of something that so completely punishes the medium for what allegedly responsible adults decide to do with it.