• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Prohibited marriages in the Orthodox Church

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/03/prohibited-marriages-in-orthodox-church.html?m=1

Found the above article interesting. Expecially section H, inter-Christian and inter-religious marriages

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Peacemaker said:
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/03/prohibited-marriages-in-orthodox-church.html?m=1

Found the above article interesting. Especially section H, inter-Christian and inter-religious marriages
How so on H, it is essentially a more expansive and defined listing of prohibitions, but not inconsistent with that expressed as teaching by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America? http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/controversial issues.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
Peacemaker said:

Found the above article interesting. Especially section H, inter-Christian and inter-religious marriages
How so on H, it is essentially a more expansive and defined listing of prohibitions, but not inconsistent with that expressed as teaching by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America? http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/controversial issues.
Was just an interesting read

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Also, it's interesting to see the AoG and Pentecostals are specifically excluded despite being Trinitarian. Is there a history behind that (for example, did they try to sheep-steal from the EO at some point)? Likewise with the Disciples of Christ, although the fact that many of them consider the Trinity adiaphora (given that denomination's strict "Bible-Only" philosophy) might be the reason. Thirdly, the Mennonites; why are they on the list?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
Also, it's interesting to see the AoG and Pentecostals are specifically excluded despite being Trinitarian. Is there a history behind that (for example, did they try to sheep-steal from the EO at some point)? Likewise with the Disciples of Christ, although the fact that many of them consider the Trinity adiaphora (given that denomination's strict "Bible-Only" philosophy) might be the reason. Thirdly, the Mennonites; why are they on the list?
Belief in the Holy Trinity takes many forms, depending on the Christology of such groups. Moreover, there are many beliefs within such groups which are utterly incompatible with Orthodoxy. Big picture, and all that.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
I know many AoGs and Evangelical Frees and Pentecostals who are without any doubt anti-Trinitarian.

Mennonites are probably on the list for the same reason.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Minnesotan said:
I know many AoGs and Evangelical Frees and Pentecostals who are without any doubt anti-Trinitarian.

The Evangelical Free Church of America's statement of faith includes the following:

1. We believe in one God, Creator of all things, holy, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in a loving unity of three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Having limitless knowledge and sovereign power, God has graciously purposed from eternity to redeem a people for Himself and to make all things new for His own glory.

I'm not sure if that's specific enough to fully rule out nontrinitarian beliefs or not. One thing I don't like about their statement of faith is that it seems too nontraditional (as in, it doesn't follow the format of the creeds and seems more influenced by The Fundamentals than the Fathers, in terms of writing style). It also elevates to dogma things like "eternal conscious torment" which is something the Orthodox would never do.

The EFCA is the denomination that my parents' church is affiliated with.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's specific enough to fully rule out nontrinitarian beliefs or not.
It depends on their definition of the word Persons. Just as the definition of Trinitarian can vary widely. The Church must be careful to make sure they're comparing apples with apples, not oranges.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
scamandrius said:
Minnesotan said:

The Evangelical Free Church of America's statement of faith includes the following:

1. We believe in one God, Creator of all things, holy, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in a loving unity of three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Having limitless knowledge and sovereign power, God has graciously purposed from eternity to redeem a people for Himself and to make all things new for His own glory.

I'm not sure if that's specific enough to fully rule out nontrinitarian beliefs or not. One thing I don't like about their statement of faith is that it seems too nontraditional (as in, it doesn't follow the format of the creeds and seems more influenced by The Fundamentals than the Fathers, in terms of writing style). It also elevates to dogma things like "eternal conscious torment" which is something the Orthodox would never do.

Efrees are not monolithic and, as far as I know, are congregational  in both polity and doctrine.  So one EFree church may differ significantly from the other one in the next county.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Minnesotan said:
scamandrius said:
Minnesotan said:

Efrees are not monolithic and, as far as I know, are congregational  in both polity and doctrine.  So one EFree church may differ significantly from the other one in the next county.
I see. The one my parents attend is sort of middle-of-the-road evangelical, although the influence of New Calvinism seems to be steadily increasing among some of them.

StevenRushing

Reaction score
What would the prohibition on marrying a mormon mean to a convert to Orthodoxy whose mormon spouse is firmly against the conversion of the husband and even more firmly against the raising of their (already existing) children as Orthodox?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
StevenRushing said:
What would the prohibition on marrying a mormon mean to a convert to Orthodoxy whose mormon spouse is firmly against the conversion of the husband and even more firmly against the raising of their (already existing) children as Orthodox?
There is no prohibition in that situation. The Church does not ever favor divorce. Such a person would just be expected to live his faith out the best he was able, usually under the guidance of his priest.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
StevenRushing said:
That rule applies to someone who is already Orthodox but not married yet. If you marry a Mormon, as a Mormon, and then later convert to Orthodoxy, that's a different situation. Many of the early Christians were married to pagans and St. Paul told them not to leave their spouses.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
There must be six degrees of separation.
"and seven degrees of Kevin Bacon."

Seems like a real missed opportunity.

Branthony

Reaction score
Maybe this was in there and I missed it, but are you allowed to marry a child of your god parents? Like my son's god parents are about to have a baby. When both children are grown can they get married? Or have we barred our son from marrying what is possibly the only orthodox girl in his age group around here? lol

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Branthony said:
Maybe this was in there and I missed it, but are you allowed to marry a child of your god parents?
I don't think so, no.

Like my son's god parents are about to have a baby. When both children are grown can they get married? Or have we barred our son from marrying what is possibly the only orthodox girl in his age group around here? lol
Man, is he going to let you guys have it...  :p

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Branthony said:
Maybe this was in there and I missed it, but are you allowed to marry a child of your god parents?
I don't think so, no.

Like my son's god parents are about to have a baby. When both children are grown can they get married? Or have we barred our son from marrying what is possibly the only orthodox girl in his age group around here? lol

Well maybe the new baby is a boy....;)

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Branthony said:
I don't think so, no.

That's still prohibited. ;)

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
DeniseDenise said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Branthony said:
I don't think so, no.

That's still prohibited. ;)
well yes...but chances he will be irate with his parents over that are less

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Branthony said:
Maybe this was in there and I missed it, but are you allowed to marry a child of your god parents? Like my son's god parents are about to have a baby. When both children are grown can they get married? Or have we barred our son from marrying what is possibly the only orthodox girl in his age group around here? lol
No, such marriages are not possible. It would be spiritual incest. Your son and his Godparents' future children will be regarded by the Church as spiritual brother and sister.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
Branthony said:
No, such marriages are not possible. It would be spiritual incest. Your son and his Godparents' future children will be regarded by the Church as spiritual brother and sister.
In America if you can find another breathing Orthodox Christian to marry and breed with you've hit the jackpot. These rules gotta go in the New World.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
LBK said:
Branthony said:
In America if you can find another breathing Orthodox Christian to marry and breed with you've hit the jackpot. These rules gotta go in the New World.
No, they don't. I don't live in a traditionally Orthodox country, yet a great many Orthodox folks here have little trouble finding fellow Orthodox to marry. Then there's the option of conversion before marriage. It's not as impossible as you make it sound.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
Alveus Lacuna said:
LBK said:
Branthony said:
No, they don't. I don't live in a traditionally Orthodox country, yet a great many Orthodox folks here have little trouble finding fellow Orthodox to marry. Then there's the option of conversion before marriage. It's not as impossible as you make it sound.
Really, it's not that hard!  Woohoooo!!!!!