• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Pronounciation of Church Slavonic - Ukrainian or Carpatho-Rusyn

Brigidsboy

Elder
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Apostolic
Jurisdiction
Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem
podkarpatska said:
In the early 1970's Father Stefan Papp, a Greek Catholic priest from Slovakia, recorded the entirety of Boksaj's Prostopinije/Plain Chant for cantor training. While the records are no longer available, the Metropolitan Cantor's Institute of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Pittsburgh has preserved a complete set of Father Papp's recordings online at http://www.metropolitancantorinstitute.org/RecordedMusic.html. I hope this helps you.
This is wonderful! Thank You for the link. It would be awesome if this could be rereleased as a CD.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Brigidsboy said:
podkarpatska said:
In the early 1970's Father Stefan Papp, a Greek Catholic priest from Slovakia, recorded the entirety of Boksaj's Prostopinije/Plain Chant for cantor training. While the records are no longer available, the Metropolitan Cantor's Institute of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Pittsburgh has preserved a complete set of Father Papp's recordings online at http://www.metropolitancantorinstitute.org/RecordedMusic.html. I hope this helps you.
This is wonderful! Thank You for the link. It would be awesome if this could be rereleased as a CD.
+1

However

It would be very easy to download those and burn them to a CD using iTunes or another such program, for private personal use (it would be format shifting and I am sure the Cantors would not object, and one might make a donation as well).

By the way, if anynof you know of any good albums of Prostopinije, please let me know; I can't find any in Apple Music or iTunes.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
I have a whole book on the Ukrainian pronunciation. It's in Ukrainian, however.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
ialmisry said:
I have a whole book on the Ukrainian pronunciation. It's in Ukrainian, however.
Ukrainian pronunciation is easy. You replace all vowels with ɪ or i depending on grammatical position and you have Ukrainian pronunciation.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
wgw said:
Brigidsboy said:
podkarpatska said:
+1

However

It would be very easy to download those and burn them to a CD using iTunes or another such program, for private personal use (it would be format shifting and I am sure the Cantors would not object, and one might make a donation as well).

By the way, if anynof you know of any good albums of Prostopinije, please let me know; I can't find any in Apple Music or iTunes.
The Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh on its remarkable Metropolitan Cantor Institute webpage has uploaded many of Father Papp's recordings. THey are near the bottom of the page cited. His diction is precise. Many of us on the Orthodox side used the Papp material as a guide in learning the complexities of the chant. Their English versions are not my cup of tea, but they are ok...http://mci.archpitt.org/RecordedMusic.html

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
The files on that website by the Schola Cantorum thingamajig are sung by a professional choir, directed by the much-bemoaned-at-byzcath.org J Michael Thompson. They're good though they feel a little cold. The most sublime prostopinije singing I've heard was at my parish two Sundays ago. The choir director wasn't able to come in that day, so we all picked up the plainchant books. It was basically three or four adults and five or six teenagers in the choir loft and the blend of voices made the hair stand up on my neck. I hope everyone gets to hear something like that sometime.