Protestant influence in Orthodoxy?

David Young

Archon
Reaction score
Website
bradleyroadbaptistchurch.org.uk
It would interest me to know whether influences from Protestantism seep into Orthodoxy in countries where the Christian majority is Protestant. They say this is true of Roman Catholicism. You have both the general ambience, plus converts coming in from Protestantism. I sat and talked for quite a while over coffee with an Orthodox missionary, a convert from Protestantism, and there was no sense that he inhabited an alien culture or faith: it felt just like talking with any other Christian brother; and as far as I know, he felt the same.

Reaction score
Protestant Christianity is so varied; for ex. the profound & common faith of C.S. Lewis is usually Orthodox but other variants like total depravity, neglect of sacraments etc. are not. Then there is the modern, secularist, false inclusive variety that seems to deny sin even exists.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
It would interest me to know whether influences from Protestantism seep into Orthodoxy in countries where the Christian majority is Protestant. They say this is true of Roman Catholicism. You have both the general ambience, plus converts coming in from Protestantism. I sat and talked for quite a while over coffee with an Orthodox missionary, a convert from Protestantism, and there was no sense that he inhabited an alien culture or faith: it felt just like talking with any other Christian brother; and as far as I know, he felt the same.
I'm not sure anyone outside a given country can answer how much influence Protestant individuals have on Orthodox individuals. It's impossible for Protestantism to seep into Orthodoxy, however.

The missionary was behaving as any faithful ought -- seeing Christ in the other and being Christ to them. You could be Buddhist, and he in all likelihood would have behaved the same way.

Consider that something is only alien (or foreign) when either a) you are the point of reference or b) it is unfamiliar. To other nations, you are the foreigner. And once the unfamiliar becomes familiar, it is no longer alien but normal. :)