• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Protestant's Video Places Mt. Sinai Monks In Grave Danger

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the Southern U.S.
Dr. Jay Smith, renowned in Protestant circles for "busting Islam historically and polemically", states Mt. Sinai Monks themselves forged the "Ashtiname"  in order to protect the Monastery;  leaves his video out in the open on YouTube in plain sight of radical Muslim groups to review and use in the future for attacks on Orthodox Christians living in Sinai :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21sW3NcVF-U

Vanhyo

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
BOC
God holds everything in his hands.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Several certified historical copies are displayed in the library of St Catherine, some of which are witnessed by the judges of Islam to affirm historical authenticity. The monks claim that during the Ottoman conquest of Egypt in the Ottoman–Mamluk War (1516–17), the original document was seized from the monastery by Ottoman soldiers and taken to Sultan Selim I's palace in Istanbul for safekeeping.[1][5] A copy was then made to compensate for its loss at the monastery.[1] It also seems that the charter was renewed under the new rulers, as other documents in the archive suggest.[6] Traditions about the tolerance shown towards the monastery were reported in governmental documents issued in Cairo and during the period of Ottoman rule (1517–1798), the Pasha of Egypt annually reaffirmed its protections.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtiname_of_Muhammad#History

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
You know, my first assumption was that he must write for Pulpit and Pen, but it appears he doesn't.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Seraffa said:
Dr. Jay Smith, renowned in Protestant circles for "busting Islam historically and polemically", states Mt. Sinai Monks themselves forged the "Ashtiname"  in order to protect the Monastery;  leaves his video out in the open on YouTube in plain sight of radical Muslim groups to review and use in the future for attacks on Orthodox Christians living in Sinai :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21sW3NcVF-U
Thank you Presbytera for sharing this with us.  Also for your husband who has reposed, Archpriest Shagoury, memory eternal.

Regarding the Christian population of Sinai, I haven’t been able to find out if the Church of Sinai just has St. Catharine’s Monastery or also if they have a presence in some of the towns (I heard they had one or two chapels).  The Church of Sinai, in addition to having one of the most important and endangered monasteries in Orthodoxy, is also the smallest autonomous church (they are an autonomous church under the omophorion of Jerusalem, with the abbot of the monastery also being the Archbishop of Sinai).  There are also relatively few Coptic Orthodox in Sinai.

Prior to the tragic terrorist attack on the Russian charter flight, there were a lot of Eastern Orthodox tourists to the beaches in the south of the peninsula.

Also I have heard that St. Catharine’s Monastery’s safety is partially assured by certain friendly Bedouin tribes who the monks provide free healthcare for.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Wow, that was really irresponsible... Also, I'm sorry for your late husband.

Alpha60 said:
Regarding the Christian population of Sinai, I haven’t been able to find out if the Church of Sinai just has St. Catharine’s Monastery or also if they have a presence in some of the towns (I heard they had one or two chapels). [...] There are also relatively few Coptic Orthodox in Sinai.
More or less what I've heard.