• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

PS4 or Xbox One

So...PS4, Xbox One, or for your hipsters Wii U?

• PS4

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Wii U

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Neither.

At that price point, people really should get more into PC gaming. Since you know it is the master race

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Achronos said:
Neither.

At that price point, people really should get more into PC gaming. Since you know it is the master race
This is true. I love PC gaming, but developers are starting to back away from PCs because of the decreasing market. High-End PC's are just too expensive this day and age. Couple that with the "I just got this PC home and its already obsolete" nonsense that people still believe.....

PP

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are looking at about 800-1000 for a PC. But I'm sure I could build one cheaper.

Upgrade graphics card at the 3rd year and you might make it last for a console generation.

And really over the long term, you might actually save money when you get those crazy Steam discounts and whatever else.

Plus 60 a year for Xbox Live adds up.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Sony has my future purchase this upcoming generation. I refuse to buy an Xbox One, and after all the crap Microsoft has pulled I'm tempted to make the switch early and drop out of Xbox Live on my 360.

And Wii U, like the Wii, is not even close to being a real option to me.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
You are looking at about 800-1000 for a PC. But I'm sure I could build one cheaper.
I build them between 600-800, depending on who my supplier is and how beefy I need my system to be. The system Im currently on, you could not build with anything less than 1500. Its a monster :)

Upgrade graphics card at the 3rd year and you might make it last for a console generation
The PS3 was released in 2006. At the same time, dual core processors were hitting the market in full force. You'd be hard pressed to have a dual core system playing games like Crysis 3 or Metro in anything but the absolute lowest graphical settings right now. But in general, you're correct. You can absolutely have a dual core system frm back then and still have a rewarding experience still today (Guild Wars 2 plays fine on the dual-core systems I had my students benchmark with FRAPS).

And really over the long term, you might actually save money when you get those crazy Steam discounts and whatever else
Steam rules....that is all.

Plus 60 a year for Xbox Live adds up
FWIW Sony is going to have fee based PSN now....so hopefully the price would go down.

Sony has my future purchase this upcoming generation
Me as well.

I refuse to buy an Xbox One, and after all the crap Microsoft has pulled I'm tempted to make the switch early and drop out of Xbox Live on my 360
Methinks after all the negative press, Microsoft might change a few things before release....

PP

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
Methinks after all the negative press, Microsoft might change a few things before release....

PP
Possibly, although they gave no indication of it when responding to criticism by saying to buy the 360 instead. Afraid I don't care either way, I'm interested in JRPG's which the Xbox One is unlikely to have much of like the 360.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
Nephi said:
primuspilus said:

PP
Possibly, although they gave no indication of it when responding to criticism by saying to buy the 360 instead. Afraid I don't care either way, I'm interested in JRPG's which the Xbox One is unlikely to have much of like the 360.
I ditched JRPG's as the Open-World, create your character stuff took hold...however, after the FF 15 teaser, I might make an exception......

PP

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
I ditched JRPG's as the Open-World, create your character stuff took hold...however, after the FF 15 teaser, I might make an exception......

PP
I've honestly never tried the FF series or spin-offs apart from FFTA2 for the DS. I'm more into series like Dragon Quest, Shin Megami Tensei, etc.

Most of the open-world stuff with a heavy emphasis on customizing so far hasn't been too appealing to me. I love Western RPG's for the PC (BG/PT/FO/DA/etc.), but games like Morrowind and Oblivion just aren't my thing. I can somewhat enjoy Fallout 3 because I liked the first two so much, and I still plan to give Skyrim a try.

I suppose I tend to prefer tactics-based RPG's over action-based.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Neither.

Best advice.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Neither.

+1

My faith in Achronos has been restored and I shall look to him for continued guidance in the tech world.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Neither.

Honestly, while I'm practically a life-long PC gamer (some of my earliest memories were watching my dad play Pirates! Gold), PC gaming just doesn't have the game library to warrant it anymore IMO. While I plan to upgrade this PC soon to play some games (Total War) at better quality, there's no way I would buy a PC just to play them nor would I buy a new PC in the coming years unless the PC gaming market dramatically changes.

What are some of the major games and series on the PC market? The Sims, LoL, Dota2, D3, SC2, Call of Duty, WoW, etc. Other important mentions would be the Total War series, Paradox games, Civilization series, etc. which are probably niche markets. Accompany this by the occasional hit-or-miss RPG's and so on, the massive amount of low-requirement indie games, and the fact many PC games aren't exclusive and get decent to great console versions/ports (although not always). Sure, Steam has great sales, but most of the best games IMO can be played without upgrading to keep up with the newer generations of PC gaming. It just seems gamers have little incentive anymore to drop $600 or more to buy a new PC, when they can either already play the games they want or get the new games and even more through a cheaper console.

The only possible exception to this is the resurgence of PC RPG's and RTS games - Planetary Annihilation, Project Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sin, etc. Although I doubt any of them will require a high-end PC and probably all of them fall into niche groups.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
It just seems gamers have little incentive anymore to drop $600 or more to buy a new PC, when they can either already play the games they want or get the new games and even more through a cheaper console
The classic rebuttal is that consoles have a lower native resolution, so you ARE paying less, but for an inferior product. However, I can agree on alot of levels with what you're saying.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Nephi said:
Achronos said:
Neither.

Honestly, while I'm practically a life-long PC gamer (some of my earliest memories were watching my dad play Pirates! Gold), PC gaming just doesn't have the game library to warrant it anymore IMO. While I plan to upgrade this PC soon to play some games (Total War) at better quality, there's no way I would buy a PC just to play them nor would I buy a new PC in the coming years unless the PC gaming market dramatically changes.
I was lamenting this travesty just last night as I was looking for a good game to play.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
TheTrisagion said:
Nephi said:
Achronos said:
Neither.

I was lamenting this travesty just last night as I was looking for a good game to play.
Downloading War Thunder.....looks friggin great.

PP

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
primuspilus said:
FormerReformer said:
I choose the Oculus Rift  8)
Yes, yes, it's not a console, just a display unit. It's also the only new tech coming out that I can actually say I'm excited about. I don't see myself getting any of the consoles this generation, but I will definitely have a Rift ASAP.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
It is. There are even associations for the promotion and competition of Byzantine Chess.

Shatranj al-Rûmîya

http://www.chessvariants.org/historic.dir/byzantine.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_chess

http://www.circularchess.co.uk/

primuspilus said:
Cyrillic said:
Huh? Is that real?
I second that question...that looks great.

PP

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
Now, on the theme of video-games, gimme a retro-games emulator and I'm happy. Particularly Amiga and MSX.

Amiga games
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoJBerFDsA

MSX Games
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpOzTwhDTAI‎

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I'll probably get a PS4 sometime towards the end of 2014. If Ryse had a strategy element to it--sort of a Rome Total War but with hand-first person fighting--I might consider it, supposing there were a few other games I'd want on only the X1. But if that doesn't happen I'll probably stick with the cheaper, better, and less jerkish system.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
This is what I spend my nerdy free time doing
Total War: Rome II is the game for you :)

Byzantine Chess
Next purchase when I go to the book store.

Fabio Leite said:
Now, on the theme of video-games, gimme a retro-games emulator and I'm happy. Particularly Amiga and MSX.

Amiga games
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoJBerFDsA

MSX Games
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpOzTwhDTAI‎
Your entire reply is filled with awesomeness. I EMU alot.
Asteriktos said:
I'll probably get a PS4 sometime towards the end of 2014. If Ryse had a strategy element to it--sort of a Rome Total War but with hand-first person fighting--I might consider it, supposing there were a few other games I'd want on only the X1. But if that doesn't happen I'll probably stick with the cheaper, better, and less jerkish system.
I saw Ryse, and I might get the PC port of it, as long as its not "God of War, latin style".

PP