• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Queen 'appalled' at Church of England moves, claim Vatican moles

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/6258011/Queen-appalled-at-Church-of-England-moves-claim-Vatican-moles.html

When Pope Benedict visits this country next year, he is expected to stay at Buckingham Palace as a guest of the Queen. The warmth of her welcome will come as no surprise to the Pontiff, if senior sources at the Vatican are to be believed.

By Richard Eden
Published: 10:56PM BST 03 Oct 2009

According to informants quoted in The Catholic Herald, the Queen has "grown increasingly sympathetic" to the Catholic Church over the years while being "appalled", along with the Prince of Wales, at developments in the Church of England.

The usually well-informed newspaper adds that the Queen, who is the Supreme Governor of the C of E, is "also said to have an affinity with the Holy Father, who is of her generation".

In July, The Sunday Telegraph disclosed that the Queen had told the heads of a traditionalist group, formed in response to the liberal direction of some parts of the Anglican Communion, that she "understood their concerns" about the future of the 80 million-strong global church.

One leading evangelical said: "We found the letters very supportive."

Her intervention was predicted to have surprised many because the group, called the Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans, was feared by some to be a divisive force and one of its senior figures was this accused of being homophobic.

The then Bishop of Rochester, Dr Michael Nazir-Ali, called on homosexuals to repent. He said the Church of England must stick to the Biblical teaching that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

"We want to hold on to the traditional teaching of the Church," he said. "We don't want to be rolled over by culture and trends in the Church," said the bishop, who was one of the most senior religious figures in England.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman declines to comment.

Reaction score
Interesting. I know that the Prince of Wales has visited Mt. Athos many times and has expressed an interest in Orthodoxy. I'm not familiar enough with British law to know if the Queen still has any bearing on the Church.

I find it ironic that Elizabeth II is showing an affinity to Rome, since her namesake was quite the oppisite. :)

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
Interesting. I know that the Prince of Wales has visited Mt. Athos many times and has expressed an interest in Orthodoxy.
I've read the same thing too.  Funny thing about Prince Chuck; there's so many rumors around him about several religions.  Back when I was a practicing Muslim, both my housemates (one was from Pakistan and the other from Turkey) both said that they'd read he secretly converted to Islam after visiting some famous mosques.  I think he's either just curious and wanting to know more about different religions or these were simply 'goodwill' visits. 

Rosehip

Archon
Reaction score
I agree. Although Prince Philip would have been Greek Orthodox before marrying and had to give up his religion, if I understand correctly. So Prince Charles would have authentic ties to Eastern Orthodoxy at least. But I've heard those Muslim rumours too. Seems spirituality is a bit of a hobby of sorts with the Prince.

Monk Vasyl

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.ukrainianorthodox.org
This is rather interesting, since once when Prince Charles visited Pope John Paul II, the Queen forbade him from attending a Pope's private Liturgy. But, then the Church of England has changed considerable since that time.  She's basically just a figurehead and it seems the C of E does what it wants.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Rosehip said:
I agree. Although Prince Philip would have been Greek Orthodox before marrying and had to give up his religion, if I understand correctly. So Prince Charles would have authentic ties to Eastern Orthodoxy at least. But I've heard those Muslim rumours too. Seems spirituality is a bit of a hobby of sorts with the Prince.
Prince Philip was baptised Orthodox in Corfu, the place of his birth; his mother was indeed Orthodox, and a niece of St Elizabeth the Grand Duchess. Prince Charles was beyond question devoted to his paternal grandmother, who became a nun in her later years. Charles has long been seen to dally with various faiths and "spiritualities", but it seems his links with Orthodoxy are more genuine.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
When in 1948 HRH Princess Elizabeth, the present Queen, married the Greek Orthodox Prince Philip, the present Duke of Edinburgh, he was officially required to cease to be Orthodox (although he never ceased to make the Orthodox sign of the cross in public). His devout mother had become an Orthodox nun on being widowed, and she can be seen dressed as an Orthodox nun on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in photographs on various public occasions in the 1950's. Inside the palace a small Orthodox chapel was set up for her use. This was dismantled after her death in 1969 and her remains were buried at a Russian Orthodox convent in Jerusalem, as she had wished.

After many years of not practising his faith, HRH Prince Philip returned to Orthodoxy in the early 1990's...
http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/hrh.htm

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
We are truly blessed to have a Christian Monarch. And I was heartened to read about Her Majesty praying before an Orthodox icon which was made for her and now hangs in Buckinham Palace.  God save the Queen! The original article (with a picture of the icon) is at http://www.mosnews.com/culture/2009/03/20/britishqueensicon/

A year ago, His Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent expressed a wish to obtain a holy Orthodox icon as a gift for the Queen during his informal visit to the town of Nevjansk in Sverdloskiy Region.

The Prince particularly liked one of the most highly cherished icons in Russia, Our Lady’s icon “Tenderness”.  St. Seraphim of Sarov, a highly revered 19th-century Russian monk, kept it in his cell and treasured its healing power.  He called this the ‘Tenderness icon’ representing Mary’s feelings of tenderness at the Annunciation, the “Joy of All Joys”.

“Besides having a miraculous healing power, it also has a pacifying holy effect,” icon painters explained to the Prince.

Painting the “Tenderness” icon for Her Majesty took Nevjansk icon painters almost a year.  “It is an extremely time consuming process. The icon is made of copper, covered with braid gold and painted with special dyes made by a special formula minerals found only in the Urals”, they explained.

The Queen’s Private Secretary’s office sent a formal letter to Nevjansk confirming that the icon had found its place in one of the Buckingham Palace halls.  “Her Majesty sincerely thanks you for the miraculous icon, “ it said.

Queen Elizabeth has already offered her prayers for her family and her subjects before the icon,  Life.ru reports.

Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, is Queen of Australia and is commemorated at Orthodox liturgies throughout Australia. Her husband Prince Philip was baptized in the Orthodox Faith as an infant and his mother, Princess Alice of Battenburg became an Orthodox nun in later life.  There is an Orthodox Chapel at Windsor Castle that was built especially for her when she visited the Royal Family.  She is buried at the Russian Orthodox church of St. Mary Magdalene in Gethsemane, Jerusalem.

http://www.australianorthodox.org.au/her-majesty-prays-before-special-icon

Rosehip

Archon
Reaction score
That's so interesting, Riddi! So heartening to know this about the Queen. How beautiful of Prince Michael to get such a wonderful icon for the Queen!!!

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Rosehip said:
That's so interesting, Riddi! So heartening to know this about the Queen. How beautiful of Prince Michael to get such a wonderful icon for the Queen!!!
Interesting, I agree. I also read somewhere that the Orthodox chapel in the palace was in use again for Prince Philip, but I can't locate a source for that.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, is Queen of Australia and is commemorated at Orthodox liturgies throughout Australia.
Hate to spoil the party, folks, but, according to my Australian friends, both Greek and Slavic, this is definitely not the case. There are individual priests who might commemorate "our sovereign Lady, the Queen, the parliaments and peoples of this Commonwealth", but this is very much the exception, not the rule.

Sorry, Riddi!  :'(

Rosehip

Archon
Reaction score
Well they certainly commemorate her here during every liturgy- "Koroleva Elizaveta"!  :)

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
We Canadians are the good colony.  ;)
They don't commemorate her here everywhere either....I've been meaning to speak to the bishop about that....

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
They don't commemorate her here everywhere either....I've been meaning to speak to the bishop about that....
Strange.  Russians, Greeks, Serbs, OCA, etc. all seem to commemorate her around these parts.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Strange.  Russians, Greeks, Serbs, OCA, etc. all seem to commemorate her around these parts.
Strangely enough, I know the Antiochians commemorate her.....I know at yesterday's service....during the OCA DL she was not commemorated, and during the Ukie Akathist she was not commemorated either....

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LBK said:
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, is Queen of Australia and is commemorated at Orthodox liturgies throughout Australia.
Hate to spoil the party, folks, but, according to my Australian friends, both Greek and Slavic, this is definitely not the case. There are individual priests who might commemorate "our sovereign Lady, the Queen, the parliaments and peoples of this Commonwealth", but this is very much the exception, not the rule.

Well, the article doesn't say that she is commemorated by each and every Orthodox liturgy throughout Australia, but certainly she is commemorated in Antiochian parishes in Australia; especially those under Archbishop Paul.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Strangely enough, I know the Antiochians commemorate her.....I know at yesterday's service....during the OCA DL she was not commemorated, and during the Ukie Akathist she was not commemorated either....
Did they commemorate Harper?

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Whatever our ethnic background, she is the sovereign of our respective countries. I remember ozgeorge mentioning his allegiance to the Queen; I wonder if his parish commemorates her. Do you know?

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Not by name..."For the Government of Canada and all civil authorities..."

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Interesting that they would not. We commemorate our President by name: "For the President of these United States, Barack Obama, for the Congress and Judiciary, and all civil authorities..."

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Interesting that they would not. We commemorate our President by name: "For the President of these United States, Barack Obama, for the Congress and Judiciary, and all civil authorities..."
Our priest (and our visiting priests who are military chaplains) do no commemorate the President by name.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
That's because Stephen Harper is not the Head of State. The Queen is our sovereign and the Prime Minister is one of her civil authorities.

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Our priest (and our visiting priests who are military chaplains) do no commemorate the President by name.
Now that I think about it, we do sometimes and at other times we do not.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
genesisone said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
Ukiemeister said:
Nebelpfade said:
That's because Stephen Harper is not the Head of State. The Queen is our sovereign and the Prime Minister is one of her civil authorities.
Correct. Which is why she should be commemorated at every DL.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Ukiemeister said:
genesisone said:
Correct. Which is why she should be commemorated at every DL.
As she is in all DLs in my parish - and sometimes the Royal Family are included as well.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Is the GG ever commemorated? In most dominions, GG's act like a defacto head of state. (i.e. John Kerr's actions).

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
Is the GG ever commemorated? In most dominions, GG's act like a defacto head of state. (i.e. John Kerr's actions).
Not that I know of. Of course, given her most recent actions, I would hope she isn't!

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Riddikulus said:
Whatever our ethnic background, she is the sovereign of our respective countries. I remember ozgeorge mentioning his allegiance to the Queen; I wonder if his parish commemorates her. Do you know?
We do not commemorate anyone by name but rather, we pray for the Civil Authorities.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Riddikulus said:
We do not commemorate anyone by name but rather, we pray for the Civil Authorities.
Thanks ozgeorge.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In most of the parishes I've traveled to, they commemorate positions (e.g. for our President) and categories (civil authorities, armed forces), but no names, except for the bishop and the abbot (in a monastery).  In a few US parishes that I've heard the president commemorated by name, it was a decision of the local priest (and sometimes a veiled political statement).

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
ozgeorge said:
Riddikulus said:
in the immortal words of Mr. Whitlam..

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
cleveland said:
In most of the parishes I've traveled to, they commemorate positions (e.g. for our President) and categories (civil authorities, armed forces), but no names, except for the bishop and the abbot (in a monastery).  In a few US parishes that I've heard the president commemorated by name, it was a decision of the local priest (and sometimes a veiled political statement).
I know priests that commemorate by name, not out of political statement (it was "our president George" and now "our president Barack").   Obviously this is not possible once the anaphora comes, but the theological argument is made, that in Litanies in the liturgy of the catechumens that it can be done.  St. Justin Martyr reported that in the Liturgy they prayed for the pagan emporer by name, for example.   But certainly in the US the general practice has been the title without the name. 

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
I find it ironic that Elizabeth II is showing an affinity to Rome, since her namesake was quite the oppisite. :)
Not exactly.

As far as the history of the Anglican Catholic-Reformed controversy goes, Elizabeth I seems to have been fairly middle of the road.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
deusveritasest said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Not exactly.

As far as the history of the Anglican Catholic-Reformed controversy goes, Elizabeth I seems to have been fairly middle of the road.
Kinda late to the party, aren't we? ;)

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
deusveritasest said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Not exactly.

Kinda late to the party, aren't we? ;)
Oops.  :-[

Compared to some of the other threads I've been looking at this evening, however, I'm glad the one I messed up on was only a year old.  :-\

Aristobolus

Reaction score
I was once taught that we only pray for heads of state by name if they are Orthodox; a carryover from the Byzantine Empire.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Aristobolus said:
I was once taught that we only pray for heads of state by name if they are Orthodox; a carryover from the Byzantine Empire.
Despite what I may have inferred above, where the Queen is commemorated at DL, she is simply commemorated as "Her Majesty the Queen." Even in parishes that only pray for "our government," that is still a prayer for the Queen, who is part of the government.

SubdeaconDavid

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com
LBK said:

The Vicar-General of the Australian and New Zealand ROCOR Diocese, Mitred Archpriest Michael Protopopov certainly commemorates her Majesty, and I have heard Serbian priests commemorate both HM the Queen and HRH the Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia.

Hermogenes

Elder
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
Interesting. I know that the Prince of Wales has visited Mt. Athos many times and has expressed an interest in Orthodoxy. I'm not familiar enough with British law to know if the Queen still has any bearing on the Church.

She is its legal head--her title is Supreme Governor.