Question about Lord's prayer in Russian

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn the Lord's prayer in Russian, as we sometimes sing it in church. Listening on Youtube, the word for "your" is often pronounced TVO-ye which is how our musical score has it (we only have a phonetic version). But in other videos, including a teaching one, it is pronounced tva-YO. The associated texts spell it with the last letter being "e" in the first instance, and "e with 2 dots" in the second. Which is correct?

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Отче наш, Иже еси на небесех!
Да святится имя Твое,
да приидет Царствие Твое,
да будет воля Твоя,
яко на небеси и на земли.
Хлеб наш насущный даждь нам днесь;
и остави нам долги наша,
якоже и мы оставляем должником нашим;
и не введи нас во искушение,
но избави нас от лукаваго.

Read more: http://www.lords-prayer-words.com/versions/lords_prayer_russian.html#ixzz4Z5CrzHym
http://www.lords-prayer-words.com/versions/lords_prayer_russian.html

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Orthodox Wiki Page.
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Lord%27s_Prayer#Old_Church_Slavonic

Interesting issue, because your question itself is not correct and correcting it shows the best answer. The correction is that Orthodox Churches do not sing "Russian", they sing an updated version of "Church Slavonic".

The Old Church Slavonic here is:
    Оч͠е нашь ижє ѥси на н͠бсєхъ . да с͠титьсѧ имѧ
    твоѥ да придєть ц͠рствиѥ твоѥ · да бѫдєть воля
    твоя · яка на н͠бси и на земли хлѣбъ нашь насѫщьиыи ·
    даждь намъ дьньсь · и остави намъ · длъгы
    нашѧ · яко и мы оставляємъ длъжникомъ нашимъ
    и нє въвєди насъ въ напасть · иъ избави ны отъ
    нєприязни

In Church Slavonic, the letter is ѥ
That is a conjunction of English y and e, or in modern Russian йэ

Old Church Slavonic uses ѥ , prounced йэ.
Updated Church Slavonic uses е, pronounced йэ
Modern Russian uses ё, writes it as ё or е, pronounces it as йо.

We go by the Updated Church slavonic, and you can check it in this choir song in Moscow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbeZqnNCUOk

The way they are singing it would be wrong in their modern Russian, so they are singing it not in modern Russian, but in Church Slavonic.

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
That is a great explanation, thank you. I hadn't appreciated the difference between Old Church Slavonic, Updated Church Slavonic, and Russian, but it makes sense now.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
eddybear said:
That is a great explanation, thank you. I hadn't appreciated the difference between Old Church Slavonic, Updated Church Slavonic, and Russian, but it makes sense now.
Thanks Eddy.

The Lord's Prayer in the updated version uses many pre Russian words like Otche, Dazhd, Dnes, Izhe, Yesi.
Nebesyekh is an outdated version of Nebesah.

It's kind of like how in English in Church we say Thy, Thou, and other such outdated English.
There is supposedly a theological reason too why God is called thee and thy as an informal word.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Art, hallowed, thy, and "trespasses"
Are either old words or are not used in the same contexts as 500 years ago, but we still understand them.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I want also to remind that there are various redactions (versions) of Church Slavonic, so e.g in the Bulgarian version it is said "Tvoe", not "Tvoye", in Serbian version it's said "vovedi", not "vvedi" etc.

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Dominika said:
I want also to remind that there are various redactions (versions) of Church Slavonic, so e.g in the Bulgarian version it is said "Tvoe", not "Tvoye", in Serbian version it's said "vovedi", not "vvedi" etc.
I know that Bulgarian kept the yers (ъ), and that ввѣди was probably въвѣди, but is the Serbian pronunciation related to the yers? I never heard that Serbian pronounced the yers.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
ilyazhito said:
Dominika said:
I know that Bulgarian kept the yers (ъ), and that ввѣди was probably въвѣди, but is the Serbian pronunciation related to the yers?
Indirectly, yes sir.

Etymologyically: Во Веди ~~ Въ Веди

Воведи
Въведи
Введи

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
KevinMcCabe said:
How non-Russian speaking people can memorise this?
I'm not Russian and I do remember it ;) The answer is simple: I say it every day + I'm a double Slav, as it's Church Slavonic, not Russian.

Eamonomae

Julian the Apostate
Warned
Reaction score
Also, one more thing that should be noted: "твоё," while spelled "твоё", can also be spelled like "твое" but still retain the pronunciation of "твоё." In Russian, the two letters are related to one another in the development of the language, but for the sake of making it easier, dots are added to signify certain pronunciation - but they need not to be there.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Eamonomae said:
Also, one more thing that should be noted: "твоё," while spelled "твоё", can also be spelled like "твое" but still retain the pronunciation of "твоё." In Russian, the two letters are related to one another in the development of the language, but for the sake of making it easier, dots are added to signify certain pronunciation - but they need not to be there.
Yeah, but твое is counter-recomended by the Russian Language Institute. In Portuguese Wikipedia there was a very old strife between people who wished to write Gorbachev's name as either "Gorbachev" or "Gorbachov", so I devised a standard, showed them how the lack of the diacritic wasn't very standard and it's neither option now, but Gorbatchov (since I convinced them that "tch" would be less misleading and more in line with Portuguese translations of Russian literature).

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Prayer starts with the 'Our Father'.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
RaphaCam said:
Eamonomae said:
Yeah, but твое is counter-recomended by the Russian Language Institute.
By counter-recommended, I think that you really mean "argued against". The RLI, I imagine you mean, is arguing AGAINST using твое to mean твоё. Correct?

I take the word "counter-recommend" in normal English to literally mean to argue in FAVOR of something so as to argue AGAINST something else.

So if the EP recommends that you treat the OCU as canonical, the MP "counter-recommends" that you do not.