Question for the Converts from Catholicism

Matthew777

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Roman Catholics are fully accepted in to the Oriental Orthodox Churches without having to go through any initiation rites or renouncing any "heresies".
Just please make sure to tell the priest that you are joining the parish before you receive Holy Qurbana.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
That's not exactly true.  The Indian Church may be more lenient in this, but other Churches seem to be more strict.  I'd have to ask to see if there was a definite way to receive Catholics in the Indian Church (I think it would probably be confession, at least among those I know, but I'm not sure if Chrismation or some kind of anointing is completely out of the question).   

Matthew777

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Mor Ephrem said:
That's not exactly true. The Indian Church may be more lenient in this, but other Churches seem to be more strict.
I asked Father Michael about this today and he said that Catholics entering the Malankara church do not need to undergo initiation rites; he would just prefer that they tell him that they are joining the church.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
I don't think there's a formal catechumenate or anything like that, but I would be surprised if *nothing* was required.  I'll have to ask around.   

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Matthew777 said:
I asked Father Michael about this today and he said that Catholics entering the Malankara church do not need to undergo initiation rites; he would just prefer that they tell him that they are joining the church.
That's interesting given that Catholics entering the Coptic Church are usually baptized, and you are in full communion with the Coptic Church.

Anastasios

Matthew777

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Anastasios said:
That's interesting given that Catholics entering the Coptic Church are usually baptized, and you are in full communion with the Coptic Church.

Anastasios
There is no renouncing of heresies, rebaptizing, etc. for a Catholic to enter the Malankara Church, as far as I know of from Father Michael.

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Matthew777 said:
There is no renouncing of heresies, rebaptizing, etc. for a Catholic to enter the Malankara Church, as far as I know of from Father Michael.
I guess you guys just have different practices, like within the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Anastasios