• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Question on Hell

Thegra

Reaction score
My view of hell has been a conditionalist view. That is, eternal life belongs only to God, and Christ defeated death so that "whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16) Therefore, those who reject Christ will perish, that is, have eternal death rather than eternal life.

Is this compatible with the Orthodox view? Or is this considered heretical?

Thanks!

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Outside of select Protestant groups, I haven't run into conditionalist views much. 

The Orthodox Church, like the Roman Catholic Church, High Anglicans (and most Low Church), etc. view the soul of a human being to be immortal.  Those who embrace God's love and reject God's love experience a different life after this, but there is no eternal death for the soul. 

I'm sure others will be able to explain better, with Biblical and Patristic quotations.  :)

GammaRay

High Elder
Reaction score
Even from a Protestant viewpoint, it is wrong to conclude that the souls will perish. That would be something good, driving a soul to non-existence. But the Scripture says that they will live forever too, but experiencing punishment.
Satan and the rest will be tormented forever (Revelation 20:10).

Revelation 20:14
[...] The lake of fire is the second death.

I am inclined to believe that this death is not the biological one nor it is anyhow related. A soul cannot die and be driven to non-existence. A dead soul is the one that lives without God's Grace.

Simayan

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The interpretation that I've been taught was that all those upon death experience God's fiery love, felt as joy to those who embrace it, and agony to those who reject it.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Simayan said:
The interpretation that I've been taught was that all those upon death experience God's fiery love, felt as joy to those who embrace it, and agony to those who reject it.
Yes. Just as God's divine morality, justice, and truth torment those who reject it in this life, so too will it torment them even more in the next life. The Light of Christ heals those who embrace it, and it burns those who despise it.

"Lord Have Mercy."

Selam