• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Quite possibly the most beautifully-chanted anaphora

Reaction score
I'm not usually one for starting threads, but I really wanted to share this video with you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvGa_qBJsw

I believe the chant is in Bulgarian, though it may be in Church Slavonic. The chant appears to be in the Greek style.

As far as I can tell, the video runs from "the grace of our Lord"/"i haris tou Kyriou imon" through to "we praise Thee"/"Se ymnoumen".

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
It sometimes sounded almost Gregorian to my ears.
Indeed.  Bulgaria was a nice mixing ground of things from the Byzantine Rite and the Latin Rite and the chant style is a blend of both.  Even when the Latin missionaries were finally expelled, the church kept a lot of the music from the Latin Rite.

Reaction score
scamandrius said:
NicholasMyra said:
It sometimes sounded almost Gregorian to my ears.
Indeed.  Bulgaria was a nice mixing ground of things from the Byzantine Rite and the Latin Rite and the chant style is a blend of both.  Even when the Latin missionaries were finally expelled, the church kept a lot of the music from the Latin Rite.
Interesting. It is certainly a unique and beautiful sound, though not too foreign to my Greek ears.

MarkosC

Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
I'm not usually one for starting threads, but I really wanted to share this video with you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvGa_qBJsw

I believe the chant is in Bulgarian, though it may be in Church Slavonic. The chant appears to be in the Greek style.

As far as I can tell, the video runs from "the grace of our Lord"/"i haris tou Kyriou imon" through to "we praise Thee"/"Se ymnoumen".
Thanks for posting.  It does sound like Slavonic, though I certainly couldn't tell the difference if it was in Bulgarian.

It's in Byzantine Plagal of the First Mode (or perhaps the authentic first mode).  My parish sometimes uses an almost identical setting in English. 

And yes, the priest has a nice strong Slavic voice........ :D

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
The power in the priest's voice at "Thine own of Thine own"/"ta Sa ek ton Son" is amazing.
If the chanters/choir have a good, musically oriented priest to chant the responses to, there is no way to describe how unbelievably beautiful the Liturgy is.  If only every church had priests with good talent in that respect.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Even when the Latin missionaries were finally expelled
Why they were expelled?