• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Quoting Text

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Pravoslav09 said:
Yes I did, I'm learning how to post in here. I wish I could put your comments in those nice squares, but I can't. For replying I use the quote button, because it doesn't have a reply one, however, this makes a mess with the spaces and squares. It's frustrating.
All you need to remember is that quoted text begins and ends with the "quote tags".

This quote tag marks the beginning of quoted text:
Code:
[quote]
And this quote tag marks the end of quoted text:
Code:
[/quote]
Anything you type between these tags will appear in a box as quoted text.
For example, the text:
Code:
[quote]This is the quoted text[/quote]
will appear as:
This is the quoted text
Now, if you quote from someone's post using the quote button, it will quote the text and provide a link to where it came from. For example, the text I quoted from you at the top of this post was entered as:
Code:
[quote="Pravoslav09"]
Yes I did, I'm learning how to post in here. I wish I could put your comments in those nice squares, but I can't. For replying I use the quote button, because it doesn't have a reply one, however, this makes a mess with the spaces and squares. It's frustrating.[/quote]
This not only shows where the quote comes from, but provides a "clickable link" to the quoted post.
When you type your response to a quote, make sure you start typing AFTER the [/quote] tag, otherwise, your text will appear as part of the quote.
Hope this helps.

BTRAKAS

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do you partially excerpt a quote from a post?  When I deleted the text I didn't want to quote, it showed up in my post as blank within the blue background, as if it was a quote.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Basil 320 said:
How do you partially excerpt a quote from a post?  When I deleted the text I didn't want to quote, it showed up in my post as blank within the blue background, as if it was a quote.
I'm confused about what actually happened in your case. Could you elaborate??

BTRAKAS

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of course.  I clicked on "Quote;" then I "back spaced" on the words and sentences that I did not want in my quote.  When I was done, and posted the quote and my comments, the words I had deleted were gone, but a large blue box remained; the blue box that would have included what I had deleted by back spacing.

If you would walk me through how to delete portions of a quote that I do not want to re-quote in my reply, that would be helpful.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
John of the North said:
Basil 320 said:
Is the above something like what you saw? If so, in addition to the text you want deleted, you also have to delete the corresponding "quote author" stuff at the top of the quote, and /quote tag at the bottom, so you get this instead...

John of the North said:

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
For example, if you wanted to quote what John of the North said in reply #2, but not the quote of you that he was replying to, you would delete the stuff underlined in red in this image to get that result:

BTRAKAS

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Next time I have reason to do so, I will, but that is what I thought I did, and I got this big blue, blank box from what I had deleted.  I'll indicate here what happens next time I do it.  Thanks for your help.