Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ian Lazarus said:
Okay, Who is Art Model?  I'm a Texan, and Have issues with Les Alexander (Rocket's owner) because he can't put together a stable team.  Is it the same thing?
Art Model was the owner of the Browns who moved them to Baltimore after he said he wasn't moving the team.

Plus, he started off on the wrong foot, getting into arguments with (legend and Hall-of-Fame-er) Paul Brown and eventually not keeping him, treating Bernie Kosar poorly at the end of his career, not finding the best coaches for the team, and generally not being very personable with the fans.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Athanasios said:
Yeah, it was all about the money. The cable company I am on (Youngstown is about half-and-half on the two big cable companies - the north is on one system (Time-Warner), the south (me) is on another (Armstrong)). Armstrong refuses to pay the fees, which requires paying and carrying every game (a substantial chunk of change).
Yeah, my grandparents get Armstrong.  He wasn't very happy.

However, Armstrong is good about carrying some PA/Pit stations (FSN Pit, some of the broadcast networks, etc.).

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
cleveland said:
Yeah, my grandparents get Armstrong.  He wasn't very happy.

However, Armstrong is good about carrying some PA/Pit stations (FSN Pit, some of the broadcast networks, etc.).
I get FSP and WQED - but I can't think of any other Pittsburgh stations on the system. FSP is good about broadcasting the Pirate games and (I think) the Penguin games - but not the Steelers. NFL is pretty much major network territory.

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Art Model was the owner of the Browns who moved them to Baltimore after he said he wasn't moving the team.

Plus, he started off on the wrong foot, getting into arguments with (legend and Hall-of-Fame-er) Paul Brown and eventually not keeping him, treating Bernie Kosar poorly at the end of his career, not finding the best coaches for the team, and generally not being very personable with the fans
Believe it or not, I feel ya.  The owner of the great HOUSTON OILERS di the same thing.  Therefore, they reside in Tennesee, and go by a stupid name of a race of mythical Giants that got slain by their children.  

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Athanasios said:
I get FSP and WQED - but I can't think of any other Pittsburgh stations on the system. FSP is good about broadcasting the Pirate games and (I think) the Penguin games - but not the Steelers. NFL is pretty much major network territory.
Of course - but the local affiliates (I think) have a say in garnering TV games - if they convince the bosses that the Stillers will get more ratings points than the national game, then you'd see more of them on the Y'town broadcast stations.  But you guys get bit by the blackout bug.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ian Lazarus said:
Believe it or not, I feel ya.  The owner of the great HOUSTON OILERS di the same thing.  Therefore, they reside in Tennesee, and go by a stupid name of a race of mythical Giants that got slain by their children. 
I know - terrible thing.  Happened to LA (the Rams), and Baltimore (Colts).  But that's what makes the Cle-Bal move more infuriating - they had to deal with the same thing, and now they inflict it upon others???? 

And they didn't all get slain - some were imprisoned.

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Okay, dead on in Jail...sounds like something we'd like to inflict upon some owners we know. ;)

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I hope they arent toasted.  If so, I hope santa has some designated drivers.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Wow, Christmas Eve is upon us already.  Must start getting ready to be at church all day!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I like the lolcat images and whatnot, but it's a little excessive to be taking every pic off the site and posting it here.  Why don't you stick to posts with words, and only post images occasionally (like maybe 2-3 per page, max).

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
cleveland said:
Hey fellas, I like the lolcat images and whatnot, but it's a little excessive to be taking every pic off the site and posting it here.  Why don't you stick to posts with words, and only post images occasionally (like maybe 2-3 per page, max).
Understood. I have one last lolcat to share. . . 

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Those poor Sphinx cats... they're the ugliest little things, and I say that with the deepest affection for all things feline.

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
They are. . . almost so ugly they cross the spectrum into cute. But I couldn't have one. . . I'd constantly feel bad and guilty for perpetuating such breeding practices.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Órëlaurëa said:
Post, I say! Post! *mimes cracking a whip*  ;D
O-we-O, We-O-O
O-We-O, We-O-O

(Any one know Song of the Volga Boatman?)

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
In honor of the random posting thread, I will begin to post random facts.

Fact:

A fear of long words is, ironically, called "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia"

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Wowsa!  Well, here's my old roommate's favorite random fact:

Mosquitoes have 47 teeth.

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Fact:

If you were to take the Earth and cut it in half along a line passing from the North Pole through Paris, and then measure the distance of the curve running from the North Pole to the equator on that circle, and then divide that distance by 10,000, you would have the traditional unit for the kilometer as defined in 1791 by the French Academy of Sciences.

Órëlaurëa

High Elder
Reaction score
Fact:
Crayons got their name from the wife of one of the founders of Crayola. She combined the words craie (French for chalk) with the first part of the word oleaginous (the oily paraffin wax) to make the word "crayola."