Random Postings

Zoe

Elder
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Campbell, Ohio
Ok I suppose the democratic (and Orthodox) thing to do would be to agree on metaxa.  Why am I urged to say cleveland is the Pope of Metaxa now?
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
As the Bishop of Metaxa, and Metropolitan of All Brandy, I think it is not appropriate for you to add the Papal title to my name...
 

Ebor

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
6,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Maryland
What?!?  No whiskey?  No ale?  no sherry?  The Anglican objects... courteously.

;D

Ebor
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
I would vote for a nice Single Malt, or Guinness... and maybe Port, for my friend the former Anglican...
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Why should I?
Look, I think we can compile a reasonable list of alchohols for approved use on the site... and a list of alternatives for the underage folk amongst us  ;)

My list would probably look like this:
Metaxa, Beer (good Beer, not the $ .60 junk my brother buys at BGSU... - something more like Guinness, Sam Adams, Stella Artois...), ouzo, wine (the whole spectrum), tsipouro (Greek Fire Water)...

(Yes, you can tell my Greek bias... so sue me - not you, SS!)
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Not to have this list at the exclusion of other types, but lets take our lists and combine them into one list (8 or 10 tops?) for our use here...

BYOB!
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
I'm going to have to insist on a good Kentucky Bourbon, preferably Makers Mark.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
You would, wouldn't you... okay, a good kentucky bourbon souds in order...
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
You know, speaking of wasting time and adding needlessly to threads to make them longer... sorry, I just finished with some posts in "Aramaic Origin..."

Sorry about the frustration; now returning to our regularly scheduled alchohol dialogue, already in progress...
 

Ebor

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
6,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Maryland
cleveland said:
I would vote for a nice Single Malt, or Guinness... and maybe Port, for my friend the former Anglican...
Ah, but are you willing to include beverages for those who are *still* Anglican?  ;D  And in the non "adult" line what about tea and coffee?

Oh yes, and what about sake?

Ebor
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Why not include other beverages... do we have wide enough support for sake?

As far as the non-adult line, why not tea and coffee... is it being brought to us by the East India Trading Company (that was the name, right)?

If only the two or three of us are making suggestions, then I guess whatever we want could be on the list... but if there are more that will participate, then it will just depend on them too...
 

Ebor

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
6,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Maryland
cleveland said:
Why not include other beverages... do we have wide enough support for sake?

As far as the non-adult line, why not tea and coffee... is it being brought to us by the East India Trading Company (that was the name, right)?
British East India Company it was.  See here for a bit on the start of it: http://www.loyno.edu/history/journal/1993-4/Godat.html


If only the two or three of us are making suggestions, then I guess whatever we want could be on the list..
Well, let's not get drunk on the power..  ;D

Ebor
 

Ebor

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
6,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Maryland
ania said:
Wow, I can't beleive you gusy are still at it. :-D Keep trucking u might get longest thread yet.
Unless one of the admns cuts us off.  ;)

Ebor
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh, and thanks for the British East India bit... I had forgotten the most important part of the name, no?

I wonder, did they trade in sake and other Asian delights, bringing them to the Isles with them?
 

Ebor

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
6,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Maryland
cleveland said:
Oh, and thanks for the British East India bit... I had forgotten the most important part of the name, no?
I don't know about most important, but it makes it clear where it came from. Recall that the Dutch were also building a trading empire in Asia.

I wonder, did they trade in sake and other Asian delights, bringing them to the Isles with them?
Some Asian delights yes, but not sake. I can think of 2 reasons right off the bat

1) Sake does not travel well when we're talking of months and months of ship board travel

2) After various tangles and dealings with the Spanish and Portuguese and the first introduction of Christianity in Japan amoung other things, the Shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu established the policy of Sakoku in which the country was closed off from any outside dealings with any country except China and Holland, and even that was to a very limited degree.

It you don't stop me, I will continue to go on about Japan.. Beware!

Ebor

edited for bad quoting "Bad quote, no biscuit"
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Ebor said:
I don't know about most important, but it makes it clear where it came from.  Recall that the Dutch were also building a trading empire in Asia.
Very true...

Ebor said:
Some Asian delights yes, but not sake. I can think of 2 reasons right off the bat

1) Sake does not travel well when we're talking of months and months of ship board travel

2) After various tangles and dealings with the Spanish and Portuguese and the first introduction of Christianity in Japan amoung other things, the Shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu established the policy of Sakoku in which the country was closed off from any outside dealings with any country except China and Holland, and even that was to a very limited degree.

It you don't stop me, I will continue to go on about Japan.. Beware!

Ebor   
I didn't know that sake doesn't do well on travel...

Maybe that is more of a reason to go with a fine Brandy or Whiskey...
 
Top