• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Ian Lazarus said:
True, but then again, it could be of some benefit.  I mean, we may have won Gold in the Olympics, but that was because we sent in our NBA hit squad to do the job.
In 2008, Coach K. was in charge of the grown men who were still seething from the pick and rolls set by the Greeks in 2004.  The US Basketball Players were likely distracted by ... Ukrainians, Bulgarians, Russians, Moldavians, Filipinas, Iraqis and I'm not referring to the female athletes in the Olympic Village.  ;) 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Ian Lazarus said:
True, but then again, it could be of some benefit.  I mean, we may have won Gold in the Olympics, but that was because we sent in our NBA hit squad to do the job.
In 2008, Coach K. was in charge of the grown men who were still seething from the pick and rolls set by the Greeks in 2004.  The US Basketball Players were likely distracted by ... Ukrainians, Bulgarians, Russians, Moldavians, Filipinas, Iraqis and I'm not referring to the female athletes in the Olympic Village.   ;) 
Well, I'm happy that Spanish guard who tore up our defense in the Gold Medal game, Rudy Fernandez, is now playing for my hometown NBA team, the Portland Trail Blazers.  The Blazers, second youngest in the league for average player age, continue to take their knocks at the hands of the wizened, more experienced teams, but their talent makes them a team to be feared in a couple of years.  Brandon Roy nailing clutch shots, LaMarcus Aldridge and his smooth post play, Greg Oden blocking shots and rattling backboards, Rudy making eyes and cameras pop, ... :eek:  WOW! ;D

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
^ Sounds good as long as Greg Oden can stay healthy.  ;)

I was a Blazer fan in the 1990's, Porter and Drexler.  I enjoyed watching Rasheed Wallace getting ejected although I felt sorry for him at the same time.

Nothing can take me away from my New York Knicks even though they've stunk for at least a decade.  ;D

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see that Mike Mussina has announced his retirement after 18 years as a Big League pitcher.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/sports/baseball/21yankees.html?em

Hall of Fame worthy?

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
I enjoyed watching Rasheed Wallace getting ejected although I felt sorry for him at the same time.
Yep.  Back when the Portland NBA team was unaffectionately known as the Jail Blazers.  Two straight years that Sheed shattered the record for single season technical fouls.  Of course, the second year he broke the record, it was HIS OWN he broke.  You can say he didn't like the refs, and the refs didn't like him.  (Threatening a game official in the stadium parking lot AFTER a game?  Yup.)  It doesn't bother me at all that he found a home and started to play much better in Detroit; in fact, I'm happy for him.  His presence on the Blazers was a major distraction, and he needed to go, regardless of how good a player he was.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
PeterTheAleut said:
SolEX01 said:
^Yes indeed.   :)
Didn't Moose once pitch for your team?  (The Orioles, right?)
See previous answer, Yes indeed to both.  ;)  Moose found a better home with the Yankees after the O's wouldn't go beyond $60 Million on a 5 year contract in 2001.  Note, Moose has a degree in Economics from Stanford.

Some on talk radio argued that Moose wasn't dominant enough.  The man was beaned 3 times in the face during his career and I had the misfortune of listening to 2 of those games on the radio.  After the first beaning, Moose was a little more apprehensive which some would characterize as not imposing his will; However, 270 wins is 2 more than Jim Palmer who is in the Hall of Fame.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
The man was beaned 3 times in the face during his career and I had the misfortune of listening to 2 of those games on the radio.
Three line drives off his face in his career!? :eek:  OUCH!!!  Must really suck to have been him on days like those!

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Moose spent 3 weeks on the DL for one beaning:  Source.  Plus, Moose had some near no-hitters and perfect games especially against the Detroit Tigers when they were atrocious.

Equally frustrating were Mussina’s string of near no-hitters. On May 30, 1997 he retired the first 25 Cleveland Indians before catcher Sandy Alomar, Jr. lined a single to left field with one out in the ninth, denying him what would have been the first perfect game in franchise history. (The following May, Alomar would drill a single that hit just below Mussina’s right eye, bloodying his face, fracturing his nose and sending him to the DL for three weeks.) After fanning the last two hitters, Mussina settled for a one-hit, 10-strikeout shutout. Less than a month later he tossed seven no-hit innings at Milwaukee before Jose Valentin opened the eighth inning with a single. He flirted with perfection again the next season, setting down the first 23 Detroit Tigers on August 4, 1998 before giving up a two-out eighth-inning double to Frank Catalanotto.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Moose spent 3 weeks on the DL for one beaning:  Source.  Plus, Moose had some near no-hitters and perfect games especially against the Detroit Tigers when they were atrocious.

Equally frustrating were Mussina’s string of near no-hitters. On May 30, 1997 he retired the first 25 Cleveland Indians before catcher Sandy Alomar, Jr. lined a single to left field with one out in the ninth, denying him what would have been the first perfect game in franchise history. (The following May, Alomar would drill a single that hit just below Mussina’s right eye, bloodying his face, fracturing his nose and sending him to the DL for three weeks.) After fanning the last two hitters, Mussina settled for a one-hit, 10-strikeout shutout. Less than a month later he tossed seven no-hit innings at Milwaukee before Jose Valentin opened the eighth inning with a single. He flirted with perfection again the next season, setting down the first 23 Detroit Tigers on August 4, 1998 before giving up a two-out eighth-inning double to Frank Catalanotto.
I was watching that Indians-Orioles game (TV) when Moose took one on the face... I was horrified.  Great pitcher, though; one of the few that would elicit a string of curses when he'd pitch (the other being sissy-boy Prima Donna Pedro &%$**#@ Martinez).

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
I experienced Protestant Evangelical interpretive dance in Greece...not pretty... :-\
Stick them with the neo-Pagans in the Olympic stadium and put AEK jerseys on the all, and let the people of Athens tear 'em up!

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
As a motivational effort for my department, each area picked a country as a theme last year and my area was New Zealand.  We tried to get my coworker to dress in a loincloth and dance the Hakka but he wouldn't hear of it.  Can't imagine why.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Well... the Hakka is a dance featured by the All Blacks rugby team who are from New Zealand.  I've rambled enough from the derailment comment to get all the way to New Zealand.  :laugh:

Derailment successful.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au

|  \ \ | |/ /
          |  |\ `' ' /
          |  ;'aorta \      / , pulmonary
          | ;    _,  |    / / ,  arteries
superior | |  (  `-.;_,-' '-' ,
vena  | `,  `-._      _,-'_
cava  |,-`.    `.)    ,<_,-'_, pulmonary
        ,'    `.    /  ,'  `;-' _,  veins
        ;        ` ./  /`,    \-'
        | right  /  |  ;\    |\
        | atrium ;_,._|_,  `, ' \
        |        \    \ `      `,
        `      __ `  \  left    ;,
        \  ,'  `      \,  ventricle
          \_(  right    ;,        ;;
          |  \ ventricle ;,        ;;
inferior|  |`.          `;;,      ;' 
  vena  |  |  `-.        ;;;;,  ;'
  cava  |  |    |`-.._  ,;;;;;'
          |  |    |  | ``';;;'
                  aorta

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Fact of the day (which appeared on a Trivia Competition):

The 5 states with the lowest average elevations:  Source

Delaware
Florida
Louisiana
New Jersey
Mississippi

I had initially guessed New Jersey and my trivia teammate overruled me with Rhode Island.  Anywhere from the Delaware River, to a point west of Trenton, NJ and anywhere east of the NJ Turnpike is less than 100' in elevation.