• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
SolEX01 said:
I think I'll have another Pepsi and alternate between watching CSI: Miami and the water main being repaired - 15' x 15' x 10' sinkhole.  No one was hurt nor did anyone's car wind up at the bottom.   8)
A David Caruso fan, huh?  I like the show, but much prefer Gary and Melina on the NY edition to David's constant head-slant.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
serb1389 said:
SolEX01 said:
Greek became the official language of the Byzantine Empire over Latin.  I could have asked for Serbian translations in phoenetic English.   ;)
Little known fact:  Tito was the one who standardized the phoenetics, and it was a "communist" reasoning b/c he wanted everyone to have the SAME standard way to write all letters.  So, actually the phoenetics, became "latinica" or a standard way of writing serbian with latin characters. 

Good ole' Tito...lol.
Wow - giving credit to Tito.  You've really turned a corner, man.

serb1389 said:
SolEX01 said:
I've always felt that Britney Spears will make a comeback.
Dude!!!  me too!!!  I always liked her style/music
I knew there was something not quite right about you, serbski!
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
cleveland said:
serb1389 said:
SolEX01 said:
Greek became the official language of the Byzantine Empire over Latin.  I could have asked for Serbian translations in phoenetic English.   ;)
Little known fact:  Tito was the one who standardized the phoenetics, and it was a "communist" reasoning b/c he wanted everyone to have the SAME standard way to write all letters.  So, actually the phoenetics, became "latinica" or a standard way of writing serbian with latin characters. 

Good ole' Tito...lol.
Wow - giving credit to Tito.  You've really turned a corner, man.

serb1389 said:
SolEX01 said:
I've always felt that Britney Spears will make a comeback.
Dude!!!  me too!!!  I always liked her style/music
I knew there was something not quite right about you, serbski!
I'm not even going to acknowledge your presence....oh wait, I already have...DOH! 

p.s.  check your PM's...i sent you something. 
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
You know one thing I like about you, Serbski... Always willing to stick to your convictions, without any kind of contradiction...

serb1389 said:
I'm not even going to acknowledge your presence....
... wait.  Ok, skip that contradiction part.  At least you've got a good sense of your own limitations...

serb1389 said:
oh wait, I already have...DOH!  
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
cleveland said:
You know one thing I like about you, Serbski... Always willing to stick to your convictions, without any kind of contradiction...

serb1389 said:
I'm not even going to acknowledge your presence....
... wait.  Ok, skip that contradiction part.  At least you've got a good sense of your own limitations...

serb1389 said:
oh wait, I already have...DOH!  
You know...sticking to your convictions even though you contradict yourself is half the fun.  Father Clapsis did it all the time...lol.  just kidding. 
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
cleveland said:
A David Caruso fan, huh? 
Yes and Emily Proctor.  :)

Horatio Caine is the modern Lt. Theo Kojak, full of mystery, style and, dare I say, the 21st Century Manga.

cleveland said:
I like the show, but much prefer Gary and Melina on the NY edition to David's constant head-slant.
Melina is Theo Kojak's female equivalent.  ;)
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
serb1389 said:
You know...sticking to your convictions even though you contradict yourself is half the fun.  Father Clapsis did it all the time...lol.  just kidding.  
Only half the time; the other half the time he was contradicting his contradictions...
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
*looks at picture of Prime Rib steak*

"When I'm feeling blue, all I have to do, is take a look at you, then I'm not so blue,
While we're in the fast, I can taste your red meat, going to my tummy, deep inside,
Wouldn't you agree, baby you and me, we've got a food-y kind of love."
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardvark

The Aardvark (Orycteropus afer) (afer: from Africa) is a medium-sized, burrowing, nocturnal mammal native to Africa.[1] It is sometimes called "antbear", "anteater", "Cape anteater" (after the Cape of Good Hope), "earth hog" or "earth pig". The name comes from the Afrikaans/Dutch for "earth pig" (aarde earth, varken pig), because early settlers from Europe thought it resembled a domesticated pig. However, the aardvark is not closely related to the pig; rather, it is the sole recent representative of the obscure mammalian order Tubulidentata, in which it is usually considered to form a single variable species of the genus Orycteropus, coextensive with the family Orycteropodidae. Nor is the aardvark closely related to the South American anteater, despite sharing some characteristics and a superficial resemblance.[2] The closest living relatives of the aardvark are the elephant shrews, along with the sirenians, hyraxes, tenrecs and elephants.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
cleveland said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardvark

The Aardvark (Orycteropus afer) (afer: from Africa) is a medium-sized, burrowing, nocturnal mammal native to Africa.[1] It is sometimes called "antbear", "anteater", "Cape anteater" (after the Cape of Good Hope), "earth hog" or "earth pig". The name comes from the Afrikaans/Dutch for "earth pig" (aarde earth, varken pig), because early settlers from Europe thought it resembled a domesticated pig. However, the aardvark is not closely related to the pig; rather, it is the sole recent representative of the obscure mammalian order Tubulidentata, in which it is usually considered to form a single variable species of the genus Orycteropus, coextensive with the family Orycteropodidae. Nor is the aardvark closely related to the South American anteater, despite sharing some characteristics and a superficial resemblance.[2] The closest living relatives of the aardvark are the elephant shrews, along with the sirenians, hyraxes, tenrecs and elephants.
thank you!  very interesting actually, and kind of amazing that they are related to elephants! 
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
SolEX01 said:
What would "Didaskalous tou Genous" be in Latin?

In fact, can anyone translate all the titles available to the Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate into Latin?
I'll get right on it when my Christmas vacation begins next Friday at 3:30 pm.  Z-minus 6 days! ;D
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
267
Points
83
Age
41
Well it took him a year and a half to get here, but I think he'll slow down from the rate of 8.961 posts per day, so I'm guessing two years... December 2010.
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
Only 96 more posts until 5,000 posts on this thread.  With 17+ days remaining in 2008, 6 posts a day on this thread will do it.

How about naming the 3 NFL teams to win 14 straight regular season games.  I'll start off with the 2004 Pittsburgh Steelers.  The other two are easy for you sports buffs out there.  ;D
 

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,379
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
54
Location
Australia
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
serb1389 said:
Did you know that all of the geese in Britain are property of the Queen?  Good times. 
Did you know the swans on the Thames in Britain are the property of either the Queen, the vintners (winemakers) or the dyers (textile dyers)?
Every year, the new cygnets are marked with one or two nicks on their beaks. Those with one nick belong to the Dyers, those with two nicks belong to the Vintners, and those with no nicks belong to the Queen. This marking of the swans is called "Swan Upping" and takes place in July every year.
http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/swans/upping2.html
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
49
Location
Portland, Oregon
SolEX01 said:
Only 96 more posts until 5,000 posts on this thread.  With 17+ days remaining in 2008, 6 posts a day on this thread will do it.

How about naming the 3 NFL teams to win 14 straight regular season games.  I'll start off with the 2004 Pittsburgh Steelers.  The other two are easy for you sports buffs out there.   ;D
Of course.  The 2007 New England Patriots and the 1972 Miami Dolphins, the only two teams to go undefeated for an entire regular season of at least 14 games.
 

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Springfield, MO
How about some football trivia? In 2007, David Beckham made American headlines by moving to Los Angeles to play for the Galaxy. For which Premier League team did he previously play?
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
ozgeorge said:
serb1389 said:
Did you know that all of the geese in Britain are property of the Queen?  Good times. 
Did you know the swans on the Thames in Britain are the property of either the Queen, the vintners (winemakers) or the dyers (textile dyers)?
Every year, the new cygnets are marked with one or two nicks on their beaks. Those with one nick belong to the Dyers, those with two nicks belong to the Vintners, and those with no nicks belong to the Queen. This marking of the swans is called "Swan Upping" and takes place in July every year.
http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/swans/upping2.html
that is fascinating!  Thank you george! 
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,832
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
ytterbiumanalyst said:
How about some football trivia? In 2007, David Beckham made American headlines by moving to Los Angeles to play for the Galaxy. For which Premier League team did he previously play?
Beckham spent a lot of years with Manchester United before signing with Real Madrid from 2003-2007 before coming to America.
 

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Springfield, MO
SolEX01 said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
How about some football trivia? In 2007, David Beckham made American headlines by moving to Los Angeles to play for the Galaxy. For which Premier League team did he previously play?
Beckham spent a lot of years with Manchester United before signing with Real Madrid from 2003-2007 before coming to America.
Very good. Now how about this one: Which country has won more UEFA championships than any other, and in what years did this country win?
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
SolEX01 said:
What is the official song for the VP of the United States?
'Hail, Columbia', which was also regarded as the unofficial national anthem until the 'Star-Spangled Banner' was officially made the national anthem in the '30's.
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
SolEX01 said:
What country changed continents from 1902 to 1903?
Trick question...none. When Panama was part of Columbia it was regarded as part of South America, when it won it's independence, being in Central America, it became officially a North American country, but the country of Panama was never regarded as being in South America.
 
Top