• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
GiC & PtA, I could use you guys on my trivia team.  ;D  :D

Given differences in time zone, you would hopefully resolve any disputes among the other team members.  ;D

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
greekischristian said:
Trick question...none. When Panama was part of Columbia it was regarded as part of South America, when it won it's independence, being in Central America, it became officially a North American country, but the country of Panama was never regarded as being in South America.
Not a trick question: part of Panama is described as having won Indepndence from Spain in 1821.  The rest of Panama won its Independence from Colombia in 1903.

The unified country of Panama declared herself part of North America which led to the construction of the Panama Canal through the Isthmus of Panama.  The North American / South American border is recognized as the Panama/Colombia border.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Name the 5 NFL RB's who have rushed for more than 2,000 yards in a regular season.
Well, let's see.

• O. J. Simpson
  • Eric Dickerson
  • Barry Sanders
  • Terrell Davis
  • Jamal Lewis

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
PeterTheAleut said:
SolEX01 said:
Name the 7 NFL QB's who lead the NFL in passing yards at least twice since 1969.
Well, I can think of two, maybe three.

• Dan Marino
  • Peyton Manning
  • Joe Montana(?)
Oops, I neglected one word, yards.  So, Marino and Manning are correct.  Add:

• Dan Fouts
  • Ken Anderson
  • Tom Brady
  • Brett Favre
  • Warren Moon

Drew Brees would become the 8th man to lead the NFL in passing yards at least twice if his lead holds up over the final 3 games.

Source

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Not a trick question: part of Panama is described as having won Indepndence from Spain in 1821.  The rest of Panama won its Independence from Colombia in 1903.

The unified country of Panama declared herself part of North America which led to the construction of the Panama Canal through the Isthmus of Panama.  The North American / South American border is recognized as the Panama/Colombia border.
But part of the declaration of independence was a Spain was a declaration to united with the Republic of Colombia. 'Panama' was never recognized (or even regarded itself) as a separate independent nation at this time. Now, an argument could be made that the 'Free State of the Isthmus' which existed for a very short time in the 1840's was an independent North American nation that was reincorporated into the Republic of Columbia, but it neither existed long enough to gain international recognition nor was it the 'Republic of Panama', per se.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Name the 4 ghosts who appear in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol?
Christmas Past, Present, and Yet to Come and then Scrooge's former business partner...can't recall his name.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
greekischristian said:
But part of the declaration of independence was a Spain was a declaration to united with the Republic of Colombia. 'Panama' was never recognized (or even regarded itself) as a separate independent nation at this time. Now, an argument could be made that the 'Free State of the Isthmus' which existed for a very short time in the 1840's was an independent North American nation that was reincorporated into the Republic of Columbia, but it neither existed long enough to gain international recognition nor was it the 'Republic of Panama', per se.
So, throw out the 1821 Independence.  When Panama declared independence in 1903, she declared herself part of North America and was never affiliated with South America.  The question posed during the trivia competition was factually inaccurate (regardless, my team was the only one to get it right along with Hail Columbia; although I admit, I said Columbia until my team member appended the Hail).  ;D

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
greekischristian said:
So, throw out the 1821 Independence.  When Panama declared independence in 1903, she declared herself part of North America and was never affiliated with South America.  The question posed during the trivia competition was factually inaccurate (regardless, my team was the only one to get it right along with Hail Columbia; although I admit, I said Columbia until my team member appended the Hail).   ;D
It's amazing the amount of completely useless information a few people can know...but when it comes to football trivia, you two are on your own. ;)

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
greekischristian said:
It's amazing the amount of completely useless information a few people can know...but when it comes to football trivia, you two are on your own. ;)
Some of us know more useless information in certain areas than others.  ;D

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Name the 8 NFL QBs who have thrown more than 250 INTs during his entire career.
Top 3 are Favre, Blanda, and Hadl; I'd have to look up the others...

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Name the 5 NFL players who have played in over 300 games throughout their careers.
Morton and Gary Anderson and George Blanda are easy - longest serving Kickers ever...

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Name the 3 active NFL QBs where if 2 of them played against each other, the total career passing yards would be over 100,000.
Favre definitely; then probably Manning (Payton) and maybe Warner...

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Last one before I go to bed.  ;D

Bill Walsh's assistants and their progeny have become successful head coaches in their own right.

Name those head coaches who have won more games than Bill Walsh.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Last one before I go to bed.   ;D

Bill Walsh's assistants and their progeny have become successful head coaches in their own right.

Name those head coaches who have won more games than Bill Walsh.
I'm sure that Holmgren has; can't think of the others.

Of course, give credit where it is due: who was Walsh an assistant for in the NFL?

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
cleveland said:
Of course, give credit where it is due: who was Walsh an assistant for in the NFL?
Walsh coached the SF 49'ers for 10 seasons, winning 92 games.

Holmgren has won the most.  There are a few others who have won more than 92 games.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
cleveland said:
SolEX01 said:
Name the 3 active NFL QBs where if 2 of them played against each other, the total career passing yards would be over 100,000.
Favre definitely; then probably Manning (Payton) and maybe Warner...
Think AFC South - Favre and P. Manning are correct.
Oh, you sly dog... Kerry Collins is #2 active.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
cleveland said:

Holmgren has won the most.  There are a few others who have won more than 92 games.
Walsh got his start under Paul Brown.  Brown was the revolutionary who envisioned the power of the forward pass in football; successful in is 1-2 seasons at OSU (won a national title), and led the Browns to 9 title games in a 9 year span.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
cleveland said:
I know who Walsh is... every kid on my block knew who was the mastermind behind the West Coast offense, and one of the best GM's of his day after handing off the clipboard.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
cleveland said:
Walsh got his start under Paul Brown.  Brown was the revolutionary who envisioned the power of the forward pass in football; successful in is 1-2 seasons at OSU (won a national title), and led the Browns to 9 title games in a 9 year span.
While I despise the Buckeyes (sorry, PSU and Michigan have my loyalty in the Big 10), they have produced excellent players throughout the decades (Maurice Clarett was an aberration and he wasn't ready for anything).

Would that be the same Paul Brown who's name appears on Cincinatti's Stadium?

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Definitely not the Greeks.   ;D

Which UEFA Championship - there are a number of them.

I'm guessing the Italians.
No, not the Greeks. ;D

You are right that there are a number of championships, but there is only one in which countries play against each other, and not individual clubs (unless you count the under-21 tournament, which I don't).

Italy is a good guess, but they've only won once, in 1968. The winningest country is Germany, having won the 1972, 1980, and 1996 games. They also lost the championship game in 1976, 1992, and 2008. Next is Spain, having won the 1964 and 2008 games, and finishing second in 1984. Third is France, having won in 1984 and 2000.

source:http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/history/winners/index.html

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
ytterbiumanalyst said:
SolEX01 said:
Definitely not the Greeks.   ;D

Which UEFA Championship - there are a number of them.

I'm guessing the Italians.
No, not the Greeks. ;D

You are right that there are a number of championships, but there is only one in which countries play against each other, and not individual clubs (unless you count the under-21 tournament, which I don't).

Italy is a good guess, but they've only won once, in 1968. The winningest country is Germany, having won the 1972, 1980, and 1996 games. They also lost the championship game in 1976, 1992, and 2008. Next is Spain, having won the 1964 and 2008 games, and finishing second in 1984. Third is France, having won in 1984 and 2000.

source:http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/history/winners/index.html
My guess would have been spain.  They're always around. 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Well it took him a year and a half to get here, but I think he'll slow down from the rate of 8.961 posts per day, so I'm guessing two years... December 2010.
I meant to comment on this earlier - it's amazing how one's posting rate can remain high, despite periodic slow periods.  At face value (i.e. what the forum tells me), my average is 6.380/day (including this post).  However, if one does not count my first year (can you believe that I only had 183 posts after my first year on the forum?) - tossing out both the posts and the time - my rate stands at 8.21 posts/day, which I seem to have sustained over a 3+ year period (I joined Oct 5 of '04).  This high, despite the fact that I've had whole months spent at Summer camp, times of my grandfather's illness, etc.

So I have no doubt that Mr. Y can indeed keep up a high-level 8.9/day rate - with those summers off, what better things would a teacher and father have to do than post on OC.net? ;)

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
cleveland said:
Mr. Y can indeed keep up a high-level 8.9/day rate - with those summers off, what better things would a teacher and father have to do than post on OC.net? ;)
That's about right. Even before I was a moderator, I averaged about 6.5-7 posts per day; posting in the special moderator-only sections has given me a couple more.