• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Don't worry, it isn't really Sumo either.  ;D 

When I was a kid, my great-uncle was a cultural minister at the US Embassy in Japan and he and his wife lived there for a number of years.  (We got some really cool Christmas presents!) I found out when my great-aunt was in her 80's that she, a very elegant woman, was a serious Sumo fan.  There is a great deal of history and ritual involved.

Ebor

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
I witnessed -12F (-24C) on my car's thermometer last night driving home.  And it wasn't that late into the night.  I know I know, Canadians would sun bathe in -24C weather.  I can't imagine what that was with the wind chill. But anyway, may it warm up!

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
username! said:
I witnessed -12F (-24C) on my car's thermometer last night driving home.  And it wasn't that late into the night.  I know I know, Canadians would sun bathe in -24C weather.  I can't imagine what that was with the wind chill. But anyway, may it warm up!
LoL!!  Laying on top of our igloos, catchin' the rays...

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Last night, it felt warmer outside (10F) than in my house (65F - very drafty).

I remember the last time temperatures hit 0F in 1996, I have never seen a bluer sky and my mind was at ease for most of the day.

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I need a good vegetarian cook book for the coming lent.....and a good idea of what in the crud scrapple is. 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jakub said:
Steelers vs Eagles, the Pennsylvania Super Bowl...?
Not gonna happen.  Eagles choke in NFC Final AGAIN :'(.

Cardinals 32, Eagles 25 - Kurt Warner throws 4 TD passes to make it back to the Super Bowl.

I wonder... :-\  Does that make Warner the oldest QB to lead his team to the Super Bowl?

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
I wonder... :-\  Does that make Warner the oldest QB to lead his team to the Super Bowl?
I guess not.  Warner, 37, is one year younger than John Elway was when he started Super Bowl XXXIII for Denver against Atlanta (Broncos won 34-19).

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090117130529AAFjPqV

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it looks as if our own Orthodox linebacker/safety Troy Polamalu just clinched a Super Bowl berth for his Steelers with an interception and TD return to give his team a 23-14 lead over the Ravens with 4:24 left in regulation of the AFC Championship game.

But it looks now as if Raven RB Willis McGahee just got knocked out (a minute of game time later) by a vicious (clean and legal, but vicious nonetheless) helmet-to-helmet tackle.  Being carried off the field on a stretcher with his head immobilized.  Lord have mercy! :(

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Here's a random thought. When I go outside in the winter time, if I have shorts on, I'm perfectly fine. Yet, if I don't have a coat on, I'm bitterly cold. Why does my upper half respond so differently to the cold than my bottom half?

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Asteriktos said:
Here's a random thought. When I go outside in the winter time, if I have shorts on, I'm perfectly fine. Yet, if I don't have a coat on, I'm bitterly cold. Why does my upper half respond so differently to the cold than my bottom half?
The hardest working muscle, and therefore the muscle which produces the most heat, is the heart located in your torso. The heat from the torso is transferred to the extremities via the circulatory system. Wearing a coat is like insulating the boiler so the heat can be transferred to the radiators (the extremities).
BTW, 60% of heat loss from your body is through your head, so a hat is more important than pants!

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Ian Lazarus said:
And the Capitol of Nebraska is Lincoln!

Where can be found a 3 star capitol building attraction.  It's great with carvings and mosaic and the painted carved doors of the two houses (even though Nebraska went unicameral after it was built) and paintings and sculpture and more.  Our family recommends it for anyone passing through.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't believe this hasn't been done in 5220 posts on this thread...

Freebird!

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
ozgeorge said:
Just made a weird discovery.
For every integer n between 0 and 41
n2 + n + 41 is a prime number
And there's more:
n2 - 79 n + 1601 is prime for 0 ≤ n ≤ 79.

Perhaps there is some order in chaos after all?

prodromas

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Мѕ фирефоџ броњсер фор соме њеирд реасон јуст цхангед то цѕриллиц сцрипт иф анѕоне цоулд хелп ме тхат њоулд бе греат.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Think of all the crunchons that perished for those HUGE COLOURFUL random posts
;D

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Just made a weird discovery.
For every integer n between 0 and 41
n2 + n + 41 is a prime number
thank you, ozgeorge, for continually reminding me just how much I have to learn in this world!  ;D

James

Archon
Reaction score
I am retaining the honorable lawyer J. Noble Daggett to represent me in my claim for the severe eye damage I received due to the giant print used by the OCnet Tagger Crew...