• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Mmmmmm....  Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream....  YUM! ;D
Today's the day for it, huh.  I'm thinking about getting a small container to treat the wifey and I this evening...

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Mmmmmm....  Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream....  YUM! ;D
too much chocolate.  sugar overload for me.  i'm more of an oreo ice cream kind of guy.  
Wait - you said "sugar overload" and then "oreo ice cream."  Which is it?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
username! said:
Since a computer screen can be used for viewing television shows I gather you're going to have a hard time using your computer
Difficult indeed.  Tough to miss all the great "brain gellatinizing shows" that are both on TV and on TV through the computer, no?

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
cleveland said:
username! said:
Since a computer screen can be used for viewing television shows I gather you're going to have a hard time using your computer
Difficult indeed.  Tough to miss all the great "brain gellatinizing shows" that are both on TV and on TV through the computer, no?
I barely watch any of the tv shows.  only a few select ones as most make you feel less intelligent after watching.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
username! said:
cleveland said:
username! said:
I barely watch any of the tv shows.  only a few select ones as most make you feel less intelligent after watching.
Actually, it's something we've been doing around here too - we've created a list of a few shows that we want to see (with times and channels), and try to keep the TV off the rest of the time.

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
No TV till may cuz im catching up on my reading.  I'm learning how to thrive as a pork salesman and a bartender in Saudi Arabia.  There seems to be a lot of running involved.... 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ian Lazarus said:
No TV till may cuz im catching up on my reading.  I'm learning how to thrive as a pork salesman and a bartender in Saudi Arabia.  There seems to be a lot of running involved....  
You'll also have to figure out new and creative ways of concealing a weapon.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If everything that doesn't fit into a pattern is labeled "Random," then is it still "random?"

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mixed vegetables make great pellets for pellet guns, especiall when frozen.  Just ask the neighbours kid!

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
cleveland said:
If everything that doesn't fit into a pattern is labeled "Random," then is it still "random?"
Remember Dr. Mugur's thesis on the eventual order that comes out of chaos equations?  I think this is the answer to your question my friend.  But in general I would say that yes, because it is by definition hard to define what random really is.  Thoughts?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess my approach was:

- If Random = doesn't fit into a pattern, and
- If all things that don't fit into a pattern are labeled "random," then
- Random things are no long "random" because they fit into a pattern (of being labeled Random).

serb1389 said:
Remember Dr. Mugur's thesis on the eventual order that comes out of chaos equations? 
I don't remember, because I don't think he ever told me about it - but it sounds fascinating!

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
cleveland said:
I guess my approach was:

- If Random = doesn't fit into a pattern, and
- If all things that don't fit into a pattern are labeled "random," then
- Random things are no long "random" because they fit into a pattern (of being labeled Random).

serb1389 said:
Remember Dr. Mugur's thesis on the eventual order that comes out of chaos equations? 
I don't remember, because I don't think he ever told me about it - but it sounds fascinating!
I'm with you big guy i'm with you. 

He took the mathematical equation for randomness ( I guess one exists) and then he put it into a graph where a ball would move around a square "room" randomly.  When you multiply the equation by a "speed" of 1000 for example, or multiply the equation by 1000 the ball goes crazy (randomly - in speed and etc.).  Then when you just let the equation go, after around 10,000 revolutions, it all of sudden stops moving randomly and goes into a PATTERN, creating a square (basically).  Then after 10,000 revolutions of that (speeded up) it goes back into randomness!!!  By itself!  It was very interesting.  I'll explain it to you next time I talk to you. 

p.s.  did you get my e-mail??

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Ian Lazarus said:
Lent makes you gassy.
You obviously missed this little tip:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,5924.msg186498.html#msg186498
Just showed this recipe to the wife.  We may be trying it soon.

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Fry up some onions and garlic, add beans, mash, add salt, pepper, garlic, cumin and a little cilantro.  Spread on tortillas or tostadas.  garnish to taste.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We're fewer than 3,000 posts from 300,000 for OC.net!  This means, based on recent posting patterns, that this milestone will be reached in the next 14-16 days!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Perhaps sooner if other hot topic subjects crop up?

300,000 posts - quite impressive.   ;D
Impressive for us, and other Orthodox fora.  Not impressive for, say RC and other big-Christian fora.  We'd like to think that our 300,000 are more meaningful, though! ;)

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
cleveland said:
SolEX01 said:

300,000 posts - quite impressive.   ;D
Impressive for us, and other Orthodox fora.  Not impressive for, say RC and other big-Christian fora.  We'd like to think that our 300,000 are more meaningful, though! ;)
Quality over quantity any day!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
cleveland said:
Quality over quantity any day!
I agree with you; but that's not exactly the motto of this particular thread...

ytterbiumanalyst said:
SolEX01 said:
Oh, God, I hope not. I don't think I could stand another discussion of pews.
Yikes.  Please, no.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Well, it would be most inappropriate for me to bring up several "hot topics" that would general lots of post, I'll wager, what with it being in the season of Lent and all.  Particularly one like "What is real Barbecue?  ;) )

As we used to write on the old all text boards in the dim times <G, D and R>  ("Grin, duck and running")

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
ytterbiumanalyst said:
SolEX01 said:
Oh, God, I hope not. I don't think I could stand another discussion of pews.
NNNNNNNNNOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Pew discussions again never not now later or in the future!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ebor said:
Well, it would be most inappropriate for me to bring up several "hot topics" that would general lots of post, I'll wager, what with it being in the season of Lent and all.  Particularly one like "What is real Barbecue?   ;)
I'd love a topic like that.  Of course, we don't have enough North Carolinians to make that one really interesting...