• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
PeterTheAleut said:
Mmmmmm....  Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream....  YUM! ;D
Today's the day for it, huh.  I'm thinking about getting a small container to treat the wifey and I this evening...
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
serb1389 said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Mmmmmm....  Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream....  YUM! ;D
too much chocolate.  sugar overload for me.  i'm more of an oreo ice cream kind of guy.  
Wait - you said "sugar overload" and then "oreo ice cream."  Which is it?
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
username! said:
Since a computer screen can be used for viewing television shows I gather you're going to have a hard time using your computer
Difficult indeed.  Tough to miss all the great "brain gellatinizing shows" that are both on TV and on TV through the computer, no?
 

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
cleveland said:
username! said:
Since a computer screen can be used for viewing television shows I gather you're going to have a hard time using your computer
Difficult indeed.  Tough to miss all the great "brain gellatinizing shows" that are both on TV and on TV through the computer, no?
I barely watch any of the tv shows.  only a few select ones as most make you feel less intelligent after watching.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
username! said:
cleveland said:
username! said:
Since a computer screen can be used for viewing television shows I gather you're going to have a hard time using your computer
Difficult indeed.  Tough to miss all the great "brain gellatinizing shows" that are both on TV and on TV through the computer, no?
I barely watch any of the tv shows.  only a few select ones as most make you feel less intelligent after watching.
Actually, it's something we've been doing around here too - we've created a list of a few shows that we want to see (with times and channels), and try to keep the TV off the rest of the time.
 

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
1,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
No TV till may cuz im catching up on my reading.  I'm learning how to thrive as a pork salesman and a bartender in Saudi Arabia.  There seems to be a lot of running involved.... 
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Ian Lazarus said:
No TV till may cuz im catching up on my reading.  I'm learning how to thrive as a pork salesman and a bartender in Saudi Arabia.  There seems to be a lot of running involved....  
You'll also have to figure out new and creative ways of concealing a weapon.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
If everything that doesn't fit into a pattern is labeled "Random," then is it still "random?"
 

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
1,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mixed vegetables make great pellets for pellet guns, especiall when frozen.  Just ask the neighbours kid!
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
cleveland said:
If everything that doesn't fit into a pattern is labeled "Random," then is it still "random?"
Remember Dr. Mugur's thesis on the eventual order that comes out of chaos equations?  I think this is the answer to your question my friend.  But in general I would say that yes, because it is by definition hard to define what random really is.  Thoughts?
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
I guess my approach was:

- If Random = doesn't fit into a pattern, and
- If all things that don't fit into a pattern are labeled "random," then
- Random things are no long "random" because they fit into a pattern (of being labeled Random).

serb1389 said:
Remember Dr. Mugur's thesis on the eventual order that comes out of chaos equations? 
I don't remember, because I don't think he ever told me about it - but it sounds fascinating!
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
cleveland said:
I guess my approach was:

- If Random = doesn't fit into a pattern, and
- If all things that don't fit into a pattern are labeled "random," then
- Random things are no long "random" because they fit into a pattern (of being labeled Random).

serb1389 said:
Remember Dr. Mugur's thesis on the eventual order that comes out of chaos equations? 
I don't remember, because I don't think he ever told me about it - but it sounds fascinating!
I'm with you big guy i'm with you. 

He took the mathematical equation for randomness ( I guess one exists) and then he put it into a graph where a ball would move around a square "room" randomly.  When you multiply the equation by a "speed" of 1000 for example, or multiply the equation by 1000 the ball goes crazy (randomly - in speed and etc.).  Then when you just let the equation go, after around 10,000 revolutions, it all of sudden stops moving randomly and goes into a PATTERN, creating a square (basically).  Then after 10,000 revolutions of that (speeded up) it goes back into randomness!!!  By itself!  It was very interesting.  I'll explain it to you next time I talk to you. 

p.s.  did you get my e-mail??
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
ozgeorge said:
Ian Lazarus said:
Lent makes you gassy.
You obviously missed this little tip:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,5924.msg186498.html#msg186498
Just showed this recipe to the wife.  We may be trying it soon.
 

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
1,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Fry up some onions and garlic, add beans, mash, add salt, pepper, garlic, cumin and a little cilantro.  Spread on tortillas or tostadas.  garnish to taste.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
We're fewer than 3,000 posts from 300,000 for OC.net!  This means, based on recent posting patterns, that this milestone will be reached in the next 14-16 days!
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
SolEX01 said:
Perhaps sooner if other hot topic subjects crop up?

300,000 posts - quite impressive.   ;D
Impressive for us, and other Orthodox fora.  Not impressive for, say RC and other big-Christian fora.  We'd like to think that our 300,000 are more meaningful, though! ;)
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
cleveland said:
SolEX01 said:
Perhaps sooner if other hot topic subjects crop up?

300,000 posts - quite impressive.   ;D
Impressive for us, and other Orthodox fora.  Not impressive for, say RC and other big-Christian fora.  We'd like to think that our 300,000 are more meaningful, though! ;)
Quality over quantity any day!
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
scamandrius said:
cleveland said:
Impressive for us, and other Orthodox fora.  Not impressive for, say RC and other big-Christian fora.  We'd like to think that our 300,000 are more meaningful, though! ;)
Quality over quantity any day!
I agree with you; but that's not exactly the motto of this particular thread...

ytterbiumanalyst said:
SolEX01 said:
Perhaps sooner if other hot topic subjects crop up?
Oh, God, I hope not. I don't think I could stand another discussion of pews.
Yikes.  Please, no.
 

Ebor

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
6,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
64
Location
Maryland
SolEX01 said:
Perhaps sooner if other hot topic subjects crop up?
Well, it would be most inappropriate for me to bring up several "hot topics" that would general lots of post, I'll wager, what with it being in the season of Lent and all.  Particularly one like "What is real Barbecue?  ;) )

As we used to write on the old all text boards in the dim times <G, D and R>  ("Grin, duck and running")


 

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
ytterbiumanalyst said:
SolEX01 said:
Perhaps sooner if other hot topic subjects crop up?
Oh, God, I hope not. I don't think I could stand another discussion of pews.
NNNNNNNNNOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Pew discussions again never not now later or in the future!
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,897
Reaction score
69
Points
48
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Ebor said:
Well, it would be most inappropriate for me to bring up several "hot topics" that would general lots of post, I'll wager, what with it being in the season of Lent and all.  Particularly one like "What is real Barbecue?   ;)
I'd love a topic like that.  Of course, we don't have enough North Carolinians to make that one really interesting...
 
Top