Random Postings

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt this thread will die a needless death, if all else fails it will probably be resurrected on future occasions when we want to discuss important issues relating to orthodox like when the total number of posts on this board reaches 150k or 200k ;)

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WE want.....A SHRUBBERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
eki-eki-eki-eki-P'TANG-zuu-POing!-a-ning-a-ning-a-ning-a....................

Ebor

Ntinos

Elder
Reaction score
Θανατος στο άχρηστο αυτό τόπικ!!!  ;D ;D

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Γιατί, φίλε?  Δεν σ'αρέσει να έχουμε ένα "τόπικ" που είναι λίγο άχριστο?  Όλα τα άλλα "τόπικα" που έχουμε είναι τόσα σοβαρά, δύσκολα, κτλ.  Είναι καλύτερα να έχοθμε ένα τόπικ που μπορούμε να είμαστε λίγοι ανόητοι!

For the non-Greek speakers who may read this:
(Why, friend?  Don't you like for us to have one "topic" which is a little useless?  All the other "topics" which we have are so serious, difficult, etc.  It is better for us to have one topic where we are able to be little silly!)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ελευθερία (να είμαστε ανόητοι) η θάνατος!

(Freedom - for us to be silly - or death!)

Zoe

Elder
Reaction score
Χαíρεω, Χαíρε ελευθεριά!

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
His Inebriatedness the Bishop of Bourbon, Supreme Pontiff of All Alcohol, and Servant of the Servants of the Great Distiller, President of the Holy Synod of the Spirits.
His All-Imbibedness the Metropolitan of Metaxa and all Brandy, Chief Secretariat of the Holy Synod of Spirits.
His All-Imbibedness the Metropolitan of Mead and all Beer.
His Imbibedness the Bishop of Schlivo and the Vodkas.
And All The Holy Synod of the Spirits.

To the Cardinal, Patriarch, Archbishop, Metropolitan, Bishop, Priest, Deacon, Monastic, and Faithful Consumers of Alcohol,

It is with great joy that the Holy Synod of the Spirits hereby anounces the elevation of serb1389 to the Patriarchate of Ouzo by the laying on of hands and consumption of alcohol on the 29th day of the month of January in the year of the Great Distiller 2006. In accordance with ancient custom His Imbibedness was ordained by three Bishops, the Bishop of Burbon, the Metropolitan of Metaxa, and the Metropolitan of Mead and all Beer with the consent of the Holy Synod of the Spirits. Thus by the Fifth Canon of the Fourth Ecumenical Synod to be held in the Makers Mark Distillery in the City of Loretto, the See of the Bishop of Bourbon, in the 1215 year of the Great Distiller as Patriarch of Ouzo His Imbibedness and his see shall the third place after the Bishop of Burbon, Supreme Pontiff of All Alcohol, and the Metropolitan of Metaxa.

The Holy Synod of the Spirits.

His Inebriatedness the Bishop of Bourbon, Supreme Pontiff of All Alcohol, and Servant of the Servants of the Great Distiller, President.
His All-Imbibedness the Metropolitan of Metaxa and all Brandy, Chief Secretariat.
His All-Imbibedness the Metropolitan of Mead and all Beer.
His Imbibedness the Bishop of Schlivo and the Vodkas.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From the Bazaar,
to the Plentitude of the Faithful over the age of 21 in the US of A, and to all the faithful in the world abroad,
To the reverened Distillery Metropolitans, Distribution Despotas, Pricing Presbyters, Imbibing Deacons,
Instructors and students at the Bartending Universities,

The Great Distiller is presented to the temple!

According to the ancient typikon of the Grand Taverna of the Great Distiller, and the practice of the Holy Synod of Spirits, in conjunction with the canons that guide the consumption of Alchohols everywhere, it is our duty as Chief Secretariat of the Holy Synod of Spirits to announce the ordination of the servant of the Great Distiller +SERB1389 to the episcopacy, as the Archbishop of Ouzo, Patriarch of All Similar Clear-Alchohols, through the ancient custom of the laying on of drinking glasses (in hand) by the servants, the His Inebriatedness the Bishop of Bourbon, His All-Imbibedness the Metropolitan of Metaxa, and His All-Imbibedness the Metropolitan of Mead.

As with the ancient custom, it is now required for the Cheif Secretariat to publish the text of the Holy 5th Canon of the Fourth Holy Synod of All-Alchoholics, in conjunction with the ordination of one of the heads of the Autocephalous Spirit-doms.

[quote author="Holy Fourth Synod of the Alchoholics convened in the Taverna of the Distillery in Loretto"]
Renewing the ancient privileges of the patriarchal sees, we decree, with the approval of this sacred universal synod, that after the Bourbon church, which through the Great Distiller's disposition has a primacy of ordinary power over all other churches inasmuch as it is the mother and mistress of all the Great Distiller's faithful, the church of Brandy shall have the first place, the church of Ouzo the second place, the church of Rum the third place, and the church of Gin the fourth place, each maintaining its own rank. Thus after their pontiffs have received from the Bourbon pontiff the shot-glass, which is the sign of the fullness of the pontifical office, and have taken an oath of fidelity and obedience to him they may lawfully confer the shot-glass on their own suffragans, receiving from them for themselves canonical profession and for the Bourbon church the promise of obedience. They may have a standard of the Great Distiller's still carried before them anywhere except in the city of Loretto or wherever there is present the supreme pontiff or his legate wearing the insignia of the Great Apprentices' dignity. In all the provinces subject to their jurisdiction let appeal be made to them, when it is necessary, except for appeals made to the See of the Prince of the Apprentices of the Great Distiller, to which all must humbly defer.[/quote]

It is in the joy of the Great Distiller that we welcome the new Archbishop of Ouzo, Patriarch of All Similar Clear-Alchohols, and raise a glass of his episcopal drink, hoping that the Great Distiller shows mercy on his liver, and on the livers of us all.

+GEORGE
Metropolitan of Metaxa and All Brandy
Chief Secretariat of the Holy Synod of Spirits

nikolaos

Reaction score
Great board. ;D. I really love it.Congratulations to all of you

+Nikolaos Reverend of wine ouzo and tsipouro

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words, Nikolaos.  We try our best to entertain.

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the time-honored tradition of the Synod of Spirits, and as one of the ordaiing hierarchs, let me be the first:

AC-Ci-DENT!

AC-CI-DENT!

AC-CI-DENT!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
{chanting}

AAAA-CCIIII-DEEEEEENT
AAAA-CCIIII-DEEEEEENT
AA-CCIIIIIIII-DEEENT!

{/chanting}

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
In my great humility, which only I can truly express, I accept this blessing and honor. 
AXIOS! 

Zivela rakija! 
2 things:

1. Who says AXIOS to themselves?  In great humility and honor, only serb1389, eh?

2. Please translate Zivela rakja for me... will I need to use it for that Serb wedding I'm going to over the summer?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, what a noble an honorable phrase then!

Zivela rakja!

(How would I say "long live brandy" then?)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, nice.  The kind of camaraderie that makes the Holy Synod of Spirits proud.

SouthSerb99

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.savekosovo.org
I don't know what the correct word for brandy actually is.  As you know Slivovica is "plum brandy" and I suppose "rakija" could also be used for brandy or whiskey.  Serb1389 might know better, as my experience usually deals in drinking, not linguistics.  :D

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Rum, I believe, is it's own classification.

There are certain general categories, depending on what makes up the drink:

Wines (grapes), Beers (fermented wheats, rice), Brandy/Cognac (distilled wine), Vodkas (distilled potatos), Whiskey (which includes Scotches), Rum, liqueurs, etc.

I don't know what goes into some of the categories... I acutally think GiC knows more about this than I do (actually -he definitely does).

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, at the moment the locum-tenens of the episcopal seat of Rum is the Metropolitan of Mead and all Beer.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
+CHRIS is the Metropolitan of Mead and All Beer, Exarch of the Lands North and West of Thrace.  He is the senior bishop under the Bishop of Bourbon, the Supreme Pontiff and President of the Holy Synod of Spirits.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Well if bourbon and brandy are in the same catagory as cognac, that's what we would call it, cognac.  Cognac for us is a generic term for all of that type of drink. 

Technically, there are specific names in serbian for "ouzo", "zipouro", and anything else you could think of.  If you give me a drink I can find out what we call it. 

Generically any alcohol that is "combustible" is called "rakija".  Hell, anything that's harder than wine and beer is rakija.  The REALLY vile stuff is called "domaca" cuz its made at home "dom" = house, home. 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Bourbon is distilled grains, Brandy and Cognac are distilled wine; so they are not in the same category as each other.  But I don't doubt that they would be called the same thing in Serbian, as often they are also all called "cognac" in Greek.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So, quick update for those not in the loop:

The Holy Synod of Spirits
His Inebriatedness, +GIC the Bishop of Bourbon, Supreme Pontiff of All Alcohol, and Servant of the Servants of the Great Distiller, President of the Synod of the Bourbons and the Undistilled Alchohols, Locum Tenens of the Archdiocese of the Liqueurs and All Undivided Distilled Alchohols. - President
His All-Imbibedness, +GEORGE the Metropolitan of Metaxa, Patriarch of All Brandies, Overstepper of All Bounds. - Chief Secretariat
His Imbibedness, +SERB1389 the Arcbhishop of Ouzo, Patriarch of All Similar Clear-Alchohols.
His Imbibedness, +SS99 the Archbishop of Schlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas, Locum Tenens of the Archdiocese of Gin.
His All-Imbibedness, +CHRIS the Metropolitan of Mead, Patriarch of All Beers, Exarch of the Lands North and West of Thrace, Locum Tenens of the Archdiocese of Rum and all Distilled Sugarcane.

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
where's my title? I consume more scotch and bourbon than all of ya'lls combined. Not tm mention I live in the south!

R

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Robert said:
where's my title? I consume more scotch and bourbon than all of ya'lls combined. Not tm mention I live in the south!
Well, you could be the Cardinal Archbishop of Scotch...but we object to drink more bourbon than our Inebriatedness (literally), who is currently sitting under the Thrid Confederate National Flag, Drinking Makers Mark Bourbon, AND Listening to Confederate Music from the War for Southron Independence (including my personal favourites, 'The Kentucky Battle Song' (will boil the blood of any man loyal to the Southron cause) 'Oh, I'm a Good Old Rebel' (strongly recommended for those who hate yankees as a result of reconstruction), and 'Stonewall's Requiem' (more than enough to bring a tear to the eye of any person who has a hint of humanity within them, along with 'Wearing of the Grey') amongst many others)...my exile to this most cursed land of New England Yankeedom will not last for eternity.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would agree that the title of Cardinal Archbishop of Scotch might be very appropriate for our beloved Admin.  If the other senior members of the synod wouldn't object, we could expidite this process... It is all up to the President of the Synod (+GIC) to call the meeting and call the vote!