Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
PeterTheAleut said:
I did hear earlier this year of a player returning a missed (unblocked) field goal attempt 109 yards for a TD.
It is perfectly legal to return an un-converted kick that falls in play (i.e. not out of bounds).  There are a few cases of 100+ yard returns of missed kicks for touchdowns.
 

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Diocese of Youngstown
Hello,

cleveland said:
It is perfectly legal to return an un-converted kick that falls in play (i.e. not out of bounds).  There are a few cases of 100+ yard returns of missed kicks for touchdowns.
What would have happened if a Raven had caught that ball and then returned it for a touchdown? Who both teams receive points for that?
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Athanasios said:
Hello,
What would have happened if a Raven had caught that ball and then returned it for a touchdown? Who both teams receive points for that?
Nope.  The ball had hit an object that is out-of-bounds (the goal post's supporting arm), which made it a "dead ball" and not able to be played.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Athanasios said:
Hello,
It's a computer scripting language. 
I figured.  I try (on purpose) to stay ignorant of that kind of stuff - I was a Camp E my first 2 years of undergrad, and hated it (and who would have known - I got a degree in Psych, which is the opposite end of the spectrum IMO, and one in Ministry, again an opposite).  Staying away from all things programming has been a real blessing so far.
 

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Diocese of Youngstown
Hello,

This will create 10000 random rolls of the die and compute how many of each number occurred.

Code:
#! /bin/ksh

let count=1
let ones=0
let twos=0
let threes=0
let fours=0
let fives=0
let sixes=0

while [ $count -le 10000 ]
do

     let Roll=RANDOM%6+1

     if [ $Roll = 1 ]
          then
               
               let ones=ones+1

     elif [ $Roll = 2 ]
          then

               let twos=twos+1

     elif [ $Roll = 3 ]
          then

               let threes=threes+1

     elif [ $Roll = 4 ]
          then

               let fours=fours+1

     elif [ $Roll = 5 ]
          then

               let fives=fives+1

     elif [ $Roll = 6 ]
          then

               let sixes=sixes+1

     fi

     let count=count+1

done

echo
echo The number of 1\'s is $ones
echo The number of 2\'s is $twos
echo The number of 3\'s is $threes
echo The number of 4\'s is $fours
echo The number of 5\'s is $fives
echo The number of 6\'s is $sixes
 

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Diocese of Youngstown
Hello,

cleveland said:
I figured.  I try (on purpose) to stay ignorant of that kind of stuff - I was a Camp E my first 2 years of undergrad, and hated it (and who would have known - I got a degree in Psych, which is the opposite end of the spectrum IMO, and one in Ministry, again an opposite).  Staying away from all things programming has been a real blessing so far.
Ah! A deserter! Call the guards! Call the guards!  ;D

I plan on using my computer skills in the ministry and service of God. I can detail my plans if you are at all interested. :)
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Athanasios said:
Hello,
Ah! A deserter! Call the guards! Call the guards!  ;D

I plan on using my computer skills in the ministry and service of God. I can detail my plans if you are at all interested. :)
While I may be out of the programming world, I am always up for hearing about how someone is planning on serving our Lord!
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,837
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Jakub said:
I'm searching for the perfect brew, chili, salsa and barbecue... 
Mmmmm.  Game food.

Jakub said:
Will the Steelers cover -16 spread ?
Probably not.  I don't see them losing to the fins, but covering the spread?  Eh, we'll see.  I think there are too many key players out (losing Polamalou on defense hurts them a bunch, plus he's the only Orthodox one).
 

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Diocese of Youngstown
Hello,

cleveland said:
While I may be out of the programming world, I am always up for hearing about how someone is planning on serving our Lord!
My major is Computer Information Systems. My minor is in Music Theory. I am going to go into the business of Hymnal and Prayerbook creation and publication - I am planning on starting my own business after the first of the year.

My goal is to create a high quality musical typesetting engine (I am thinking of just splitting off from Lilypond) and maybe even a musical sequencer/synthesizer program.

I want to create the highest quality products of Gregorian Chant, Polyphony, and Sacred Hymns - classic, orthodox, traditional Catholic Sacred Music. Hey, if time permits, I may start trying to create quality musical products for Byzantine Chant - if there is a market or need for it.

But definitely there is a desperate need for it in the Latin Church. I hope to aid in the restoration of the beauty of the Church and the Liturgy.
 

Athanasios

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Diocese of Youngstown
Hello,

cleveland said:
Probably not.  I don't see them losing to the fins, but covering the spread?  Eh, we'll see.  I think there are too many key players out (losing Polamalou on defense hurts them a bunch, plus he's the only Orthodox one).
I've never understood the concept of spreads or covering them!  ???
 
Top