Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As soon as the President wants - I think he's in my morning class.

SouthSerb99

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.savekosovo.org
Well, I will be on the road to Pittsburgh, but I vote yes, as long as there is no further overstepping.  (Something you should be intimately aware of).  ;)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would also vote yes if the question came up... I think he will do well for the holy Archdiocese of Scotch, spreading the Good News of the Great Distiller with pride, and encouraging camaraderie and fellowship through the imbibing of his Thronal Drink.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we have three Yea votes...a majority of the sitting bishops on the synod, but no reason not to make it unanimous, hopefully chris and serb1389 can either cast their votes on the thread or either the Metropolitan of Metaxa or myself can secure them in person.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan then... once the synodal vote is complete, the results will be released to the general public!

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
greekischristian said:
Well, we have three Yea votes...a majority of the sitting bishops on the synod, but no reason not to make it unanimous, hopefully chris and serb1389 can either cast their votes on the thread or either the Metropolitan of Metaxa or myself can secure them in person.
I guess I should tell you that, in general, I am not in favor of unanimous votes....

I am curious regarding how this prospective candidate to the Synod will spread the Evangelion of the Great Distiller, increasing the camaraderie of all those Imbibing the all-honorable thronal beverage?

It is noted that the candidate stated that...

Robert said:
I consume more scotch and bourbon than all of ya'lls combined. Not tm mention I live in the south!
This is, literally, impossible, as anyone who knows both me and GiC will never be able to drink more than us combined....

perhaps we need to call him to the Synod to determine if this is mere idle banter as he tries to imbibe more than even just l'il old me, much less myself and GiC. If he imbibes more than us, then clearly he has an affinity to the thronal drink in question; however, when he loses and is brought to salvific humility the next morning as he holds on to his porcelain throne, then he may be worthy.

So, perhaps he needs to present himself to the Synod with multiple amounts of the beverage in his hands for the Synod to sample, even those in distant lands such as SS, to verify his worthiness for this title. Certainly he should be permitted to bring his attendants and entourage, but otherwise I must withhold my vote until it can be demonstrated that Robert is truly worthy of serving the Great Distiler.

+CHRIS
Metropolitan of Mead, Patriarch of All Beers, Exarch of the Lands North and West of Thrace, Locum Tenens of the Archdiocese of Rum and all Distilled Sugarcane.
(wishing he had a case of his own homebrew right now)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, cmon... Let's see, more than "all y'all combined?"  I think if one were to combine Chris, GiC, serb1389, and I for one night of imbibing, we wouldn't be measuring our conquests in terms of how many ounces or glasses, but how many bottles....

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
cleveland said:
Oh, cmon... Let's see, more than "all y'all combined?" I think if one were to combine Chris, GiC, serb1389, and I for one night of imbibing, we wouldn't be measuring our conquests in terms of how many ounces or glasses, but how many bottles....
...liter-sized bottles!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Our Deacon-friend has just said, in response to Robert's comment, "you just don't know us very well!"

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
chris said:
...liter-sized bottles!
You mean the 1.75 litre bottles that I buy...they do need a larger size though, they just disappear too quickly. ;)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Bishop of Bourbon is good indeed, keeping the distilleries in business single-handedly, helping promote camaraderie amongst the members of the synod, and providing retirement funds for a generation of liver and kidney doctors...

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
I personally would vote yes, but I agree that this candidate needs to be put underneath synodal scroutiny.  There's no WAY he drinks more scotch than all of us combined.  Maybe the party in question can give us an idea of how much scotch he can have in ONE (1) hour?  We could probobly start there.  Any other ideas (synod?)??
+SERB1389

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All of a sudden, our Synod of Spirits has become quite popular, no? 

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
Hmmm...couldn't help but notice that the office of Bishop of Tequila and all Agave-Based Alcoholic Beverages is empty...  ;) ;D

Whaddya say, fellas?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh boy, there is a lot for the Holy Synod of Spirits to vote upon...

Acutally, a good portion of the Synod was meeting together tonight in subcommittee: Commission for the study of the effects of alchohol on the watching of Animal House.  It is a standing subcommittee that has met for a number of years - but has not able to been report.  We feel that if we have a few more points of data (oh, shucks, we have to watch the movie again!) that we may be able to use...

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Common now, how many of us have fantasized meetings and discussions like this, especially about something which we all can relate to....alcohol.  haha.   
Fantasized?  A bit too strong a word here, serbski.  But wished or hoped for?

"Today instead of speaking on the Theological Implications of the writings of Photios the Great with respect to the relationship of the Father to the Spirit in the Trinity, as originally scheduled, we will speak on the  comparative benefits of different types of alchohols, and will elect hierarchs in this class to represent the different groups.  This mock synod of drinks will count for both the midterm and the final."

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
His Inebriatedness the Bishop of Bourbon, Vicar of the Great Distiller, Successor to the Prince of the Apprentices of the Great Distiller, Supreme Pontiff of All Alcohol, Patriarch of all Grain-Based Alcohols, Primate of Kentucky, Archbishop and Metropolitan of All Whisky, Sovereign of Loretto, and Servant of the Servants of the Great Distiller, Presiding Bishop of the Holy Synod of the Spirits.

To His Imbibedness +ROBERT, the Cardinal Archbishop of Scotch, and all Cardinal, Patriarch, Archbishop, Metropolitan, Bishop, Priest, Deacon, Monastic, and Faithful Consumers of Alcohol,

With a yea vote from all save one member of the Holy Synod of Spirits, and the abstaining hierarch +CHRIS of Mead and all Beer objecting on grounds not of suitability for the posistion but for the outlandish claim that Robert could drink more Burbon than not only Our Inebriatedness, but more than the entire Synod Combined. Thus the Synod Elevates +ROBERT to the Archbishopric of Scotch. Furthermore, as this See is within the Jurisdiction of the Bishop of Bourbon, Archbishop and Metropolitan of All Whiskey, and Supreme Pontiff of All Alcohol, Our Inebriatedness further elevates His Imbibedness +ROBERT, Archbishop of Scotch, to the posistion of Alcoholic Cardinal, for a See as estemed as Scotch should certainly be held in high regard amongst the Whiskeys. However, this is all done on the understanding that His Imbibedness will present himself before this most Holy and Alcoholic Synod, with Spirits in hand, representing the Fruits of His Imbibedness See, and gifts representing the Fruits of Our Inebriatedness' See, and attempt to prove his claim of being the Drinker-Under-the-Table of the Entire Synod, and in doing so he shall either vindicate himself showing the unbelievable to be true, that is to say outdrinking the entire Synod; or, as is more likely to be the case, by kneeling before the porcelain throne be brought to humility and repentance.

His Inebriatedness the Bishop of Bourbon, Supreme Pontiff of All Alcohol, and Servant of the Servants of the Great Distiller, President of the Holy Synod of the Spirits.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pedro said:
Hmmm...couldn't help but notice that the office of Bishop of Tequila and all Agave-Based Alcoholic Beverages is empty...¦nbsp; ;) ;D

Whaddya say, fellas?
Our Inebriatedness offers our full support, what are the votes of the other members of the Synod?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would support the petition of the honourable Global Mod to become Bishop of Tequila;

Remember, the voting members are:
+GIC, +GEORGE, +SERB1389, +SS99, +CHRIS

Thus far, two aye votes, 0 noes.

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In a similar vein as with Robert, I also would support the elevation of the candidate Pedro, as long as he proves himself worthy of such office by enduring and surviving synodal scrutiny.

I eagerly awaitt he arrivals of both Robert and Pedro and their attendants and entourage, in order to increase the camaraderie among the members of the Synod.

However, I must ask that this meeting not take place immediately, as some members of the Synod have not yet fully recovered from the syndesmos that occurred last evening.

+CHRIS

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The running tally for candidate Pedro is 3 aye, 0 no, 0 abstention, 2 unentered.

The Syndesmos last evening was delightful, as we were able to partake in the Thronal Drinks of both the Diocese of Bourbon and the Metropolis of Metaxa, while studying the effects that the imbibing of the thronal drinks with the watching of such films as Johnny English and National Lampoon's Animal House has on the general camaraderie.

For those interested, and who will come to the Boston area, we will have future syndesmoi with other types of movies in the same vein (Mel Brooks, Monty Python, Animal House - a regular, etc.); the Synod of Spirits does not discriminate against the members of the faithful who wish to co-imbibe (as long as it isn't against the law - noone under 18 will partake of the Thronal Drinks).

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
cleveland said:
the Synod of Spirits does not discriminate against the members of the faithful who wish to co-imbibe (as long as it isn't against the law - noone under 18 will partake of the Thronal Drinks).
Uhhmmm...I thought here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, the minimum drinking age is 21.

It's in the Blessed Land that is Ohio where the legal drinking age is 21, but the socially defined mandatory drinking age is usually a bit younger...

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I was 18 when when the picture that is my avatar was taken - so does that mean I'm still ok.  It was in Germany afterall... do I ever miss real German beer.

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Please don't play into the hands of the people's Republic by indicating you feel that Massachusetts legislation should be enforceable in areas outside of this state (and that's as close to politics as I'm willing to go on this thread ;))

No, if the beverage was obtained legally given the laws there, that should be fine.

{Aside}
While I like German beer, my favorite brews and the ones I make at home are more often from UK or Belgian recipes. The Rheinheitsgebot has served to restrict experimentation, although it does serve to keep producing very good beer.
{Aside finished}

Reaction score
please let this serve as a formal request for the office of archbishop of absinthe (αψινθιον).
thanxs.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Synod of Spirits executive commitee on inter-departmental paperwork filing and form appearance has just met and decided that a concise description of the structure and recent activity will be posted soon.

+GEORGE
Metropolitan of Metaxa, Patriarch of All Brandies, Ecumenical Patriarch, Chief Secretariat.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It should be noted that a great deal of material dealing with the Synod of Spirits is located on the "Top Ten Time Wasters" thread.  It was the decision of the Synod, meeting in session earlier this month, that all posting activity regarding the Holy Synod would be restricted to the Post Count Thread, thus decreasing confusion amongst the mass of alchohol-imbibing laity.

here is the Time Wasters link, for reference:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=7917.0

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
About Rheinheitsgebot.... A German monk that I know from the holy mountain was talking with me one day and was very excited and asked me if I knew what today was.  I couldn't think of any particular Saint that was commorated or anything of that sort, so I said I had no idea.  All excited he said it was Rheinheitsgebot day... we then talked about how Greeks drink too much water and not enough beer, lamented that Heineken and Amstel are the most common beers in Greece...

And each time I go drinking in America with this ridiculous 21 thing... I'm in Germany in spirit - that's still legal right?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, we're all up for people whose "spirits" are in different nations, especially ones with proud traditions of alchohol production and consumption; but, alas, this will be useless if the members of the synod are trapped behind bars for providing alchohol to minors.

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Oh I have plenty of my own sources - no need to give the synod a bad name.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you have the best interests of the Synod - and alchohol-consumers everywhere - in mind.  We are very pleased.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Voting for Robert, to be Archbishop of Scotch: 3 aye, 0 no, 1 conditional aye, 1 uncollected (+SERB1389).
Voting for Pedro, to be Archbishop of Tequila: 3 aye, 0 no, 1 conditional aye, 1 uncollected (+SERB1389).

New ballot: Fr John Bon Jovi for Archbishop of Absinthe.

By voice vote (right now, actually): 3 aye (me, Gic, SS), 1 ναι (yes - chris), 0 no, 1 uncollected (3+SERB1389)

It would be appreciated if the +SERB1389 would cast his ballot at least on the issue of the election of Pedro.
Also if he could vote on the issue of Robert's election, it would be appreciated.

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
So can I at least have a youth ministery post on the synod?  Something like Nektarios, the Apostle for the distribution of Alchohol and Tobacco to minors, advocate of underage intoxication and irresponsible drinking? 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From the Bazaar,
to the Plentitude of the Faithful over the age of 21 in the US of A, and to all the faithful in the world abroad,
To the reverened Distillery Metropolitans, Distribution Despotas, Pricing Presbyters, Imbibing Deacons,
Instructors and students at the Bartending Universities,

The Great Distiller is presented into the Tavern for our salvation!

According to the ancient typikon of the Grand Taverna of the Great Distiller, and the practice of the Holy Synod of Spirits, in conjunction with the canons that guide the consumption of Alchohols everywhere, it is our duty as Chief Secretariat of the Holy Synod of Spirits to announce the ordinations of the servants of the Great Distiller listed below to the episcopacy, to the vacant sees listded, through the ancient custom of the laying on of drinking glasses (in hand) by the servants, the His Inebriatedness the Bishop of Bourbon, His All-Imbibedness the Metropolitan of Metaxa, and His All-Imbibedness the Metropolitan of Mead.

+ROBERT, Archbishop of Scotch
+PEDRO, Archbishop of Tequila and All Agave-Based Drinks
+FRjBJ, Archbishop of Absinthe

As with the ancient custom, it is now required for the Cheif Secretariat to publish the text of the Holy 5th Canon of the Fourth Holy Synod of All-Alchoholics, in conjunction with the ordination of one of the heads of the Autocephalous Spirit-doms.

[quote author="Holy Fourth Synod of the Alchoholics convened in the Taverna of the Distillery in Loretto"]
Renewing the ancient privileges of the patriarchal sees, we decree, with the approval of this sacred universal synod, that after the Bourbon church, which through the Great Distiller's disposition has a primacy of ordinary power over all other churches inasmuch as it is the mother and mistress of all the Great Distiller's faithful, the church of Brandy shall have the first place, the church of Ouzo the second place, the church of Rum the third place, and the church of Gin the fourth place, each maintaining its own rank. Thus after their pontiffs have received from the Bourbon pontiff the shot-glass, which is the sign of the fullness of the pontifical office, and have taken an oath of fidelity and obedience to him they may lawfully confer the shot-glass on their own suffragans, receiving from them for themselves canonical profession and for the Bourbon church the promise of obedience. They may have a standard of the Great Distiller's still carried before them anywhere except in the city of Loretto or wherever there is present the supreme pontiff or his legate wearing the insignia of the Great Apprentices' dignity. In all the provinces subject to their jurisdiction let appeal be made to them, when it is necessary, except for appeals made to the See of the Prince of the Apprentices of the Great Distiller, to which all must humbly defer.  [/quote]

It is in the joy of the Great Distiller that we welcome the new Archbishops of Scotch, Tequila, and Absinthe, and raise a glass of their episcopal drink, hoping that the Great Distiller shows mercy on their livers, and on the livers of us all.

+GEORGE
Metropolitan of Metaxa and All Brandy, and All Fruit-Based Alchohols, Ecumenical Patriarch
Chief Secretariat of the Holy Synod of Spirits

MGB/gsc

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As a matter of etiquette, it should be noted what the addressing titles of the hierarchs are:

His Inebriatedness, for the Bishop of Bourbon
His All-Imbibedness, for the Metropolitans of Metaxa and Mead
His Imbibedness, for the Archbishops of Ouzo, Rum, and Gin
His Intoxicatedness, for the Archbishops of Tequilla, Schlivo, Absinthe, Port, and the Cordials
His Drunkenness, for the Archbishops of Scotch, Stoli, and Stout.

The Holy Synod appreciates the kindness that you have shown to us, and we raise our glasses to the faithful masses.

+GEORGE
Metropolitan of Metaxa, Patriarch of All Brandy and Fruit-Based Alchohols, Ecumenical Patriarch
Cheif Secretariat

MGB/gsc

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Νεκτάριος said:
So can I at least have a youth ministery post on the synod?  Something like Nektarios, the Apostle for the distribution of Alchohol and Tobacco to minors, advocate of underage intoxication and irresponsible drinking? 
Hmmm, it seems that such a posistion would only serve to undermine the synod. However, a see of an Alcoholic beverage from a land with less oppressive drinking laws could be in order.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
greekischristian said:
Hmmm, it seems that such a posistion would only serve to undermine the synod. However, a see of an Alcoholic beverage from a land with less oppressive drinking laws could be in order.
He could have one of the bavarian episcopacies under the omophor of the Metropolitan of Mead and all Beers...

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm...a Bavarian episcopacy would be something near and dear to my heart, since my ancestral homeland lies in the regions north and west of Thrace....