• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Conan's prayer to Crom. Why doesn't the Hallmark store sell this on plaques and fridge magnets?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8rw15_conan-s-prayer-to-crom_shortfilms

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Alveus Lacuna said:
Jake C said:
Sadly, it seems that our practical joke flew over most of our population's head. Unlike the Aussies, who apparently export all of their trash "beer" (read: Foster's), there are legions of Americans who actually drink Bud Light (why is beyond me).
My brother-in-law went to a pub in rural Ireland, and he said that almost everyone was drinking Budweiser.
Perhaps it was the 'other' Czech brewed Budweiser?  http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_26_55/ai_n8592333/

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
No little gum freshens breath longer than Big Red.

So kiss a little longer, hold hands a little longer, hold tight a little longer; Longer with Big Red.
That Big Red freshness lasts right through it. Your fresh breath goes on and on while you chew it. Say goodbye a little longer; make it last a little longer. Give your breath long lasting freshness with Big Red.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
GabrieltheCelt said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Papist said:
Five days until Spring Break.  ;D
What's Spring Break? ;) :(
There's no such thing as Spring Break for the workin' man.  :D  BTW, who's the man in your current avatar?
So, teachers don't work?  I mean, I won't pretend I haven't gotten that impression sometimes, but...

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
FormerReformer said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Papist said:
There's no such thing as Spring Break for the workin' man.  :D  BTW, who's the man in your current avatar?
So, teachers don't work?   I mean, I won't pretend I haven't gotten that impression sometimes, but...
LOL!  I didn't mean to say or imply that at all.  I meant that teachers still sometimes go in to work, still have to get their lesson plans in order, they might meet with the principle or other admins; there's a whole host of things they have to do during spring break...

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Papist said:
Haha. I decided that this spring break I really do need relax. I will be doing minimal school work.  :)
Minimal is the right word. When I say I've taken a holiday off, I really mean I've worked for less than an hour. As I've said before, many think teaching is a 9-3 job; it's actually an August-May job, followed by our May-August job, planning for next year.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Papist said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Papist said:
Haha. I decided that this spring break I really do need relax. I will be doing minimal school work.  :)
Minimal is the right word. When I say I've taken a holiday off, I really mean I've worked for less than an hour. As I've said before, many think teaching is a 9-3 job; it's actually an August-May job, followed by our May-August job, planning for next year.
Agreed. Then add to this the fact that many teachers teach summer school and/or night classes to provide themsleves with a better wage (I do both).

Elijah

Elder
Reaction score
Now a word was secretly brought to me,
And my ear received a whisper of it.
In disquieting thoughts from the visions of the night,
When deep sleep falls on men,
(The Book of Job 4:12-13)

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Today one should drink 40 glasses of wine for the martyrs of Sevastia.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
That's the custom.
you can also have the same amount of plum brandy, if you so wish.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
LOL. I would be wasted after five glasses. lol
Depends on who made the Ţuică (Romanian plum brandy).  I had three glasses of some not-so-good stuff once and thought my lungs were going to catch on fire, plus I lost all sense of taste for a few hours.  :D

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This thread began two days after I joined up here. 171 pages later, it's grown alot!

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How the Dumbest Cat in the World Drinks Water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaSudweDE_I&feature=popular

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
That's the custom.
I just bought some Serbian plumb brandy last week.  That stuff will tear your head off!

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
My home will be transferred to the newly-created Parish whose patron-Saint (St. Gregory Peradze) is also the patron-Saint of the Mission I attend in the city I study. That's strange.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
augustin717 said:
That's the custom.
I just bought some Serbian plumb brandy last week.  That stuff will tear your head off!
LOL.  I remember my first taste, in Belgrade.  I first thought, "this isn't that strong." Then......

yochanan

Reaction score
Signs you might be Russian Orthodox:

• On Wednesdays and Fridays you eat Japanese food.

• You’re used to skipping breakfast on Sundays.

• You can automatically subtract 13 days from today’s date.

• On your first encounter with long words, you pronounce them stressing the ‘next to the next to last’ syllable.

• You wonder why the Pope crosses himself backwards when you see him on TV.

• You wear comfortable shoes to church, because you know you’ll be standing a long, long time.

• To you, a ‘topless’ gal is one without a headscarf.

• You get great deals on Christmas trees and Easter candy.

• You spend time figuring out the best way to remove smoke stains from your ceiling.

• When you see a shopping-mall Santa, your first instinct is to hold out your hands to get his blessing.

yochanan

Reaction score
How many Russian Orthodox does it take to change a light bulb?
None. Orthodoxy never changes, and, in addition to burning candles like the Roman Catholics, uses oil-burning lamps. ‘Electricity is for those Gregorian calendar-using, liberal ecumenist jurisdictions.’

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Just got back from the oral surgeon. Blah. What an experience. I didn't even get the satisfaction of feeling good during the procedure. And now I have this stupid gauze in my mouth for the next day or so, and am stuck eating nothing but things like Jello and pudding. Ok, the pudding part isn't so bad.