Random Postings

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
yochanan said:
How many Russian Orthodox does it take to change a light bulb?
None. Orthodoxy never changes, and, in addition to burning candles like the Roman Catholics, uses oil-burning lamps. ‘Electricity is for those Gregorian calendar-using, liberal ecumenist jurisdictions.’
The heresy of electricitism!  :D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I have a food culture and religion class, and we had to do a report on a food related to a religion or ethnicity different than our own. I was suprised that in the 10-12 reports I heard, there were 3 reports on Orthodoxy (one on Russian Christmas, one on Greek Easter, and one on the Eastern European Easter basket practices of some Orthodox).

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
In the fall I have to take a 'Science Studies' course to fulfil my breadth.  It is an attempt to analyse science from a social science / humanities view and make us more 'well-rounded'.  One of the available courses is about the relationship (and conflict) between science and religion, focusing on everything from cosmology to evolution.  The professor is not only the faculty liaison with the Freethought club, but also a biophysicist.  Science, FTW.  ;D

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Nebelpfade said:
In the fall I have to take a 'Science Studies' course to fulfil my breadth.  It is an attempt to analyse science from a social science / humanities view and make us more 'well-rounded'.  One of the available courses is about the relationship (and conflict) between science and religion, focusing on everything from cosmology to evolution.  The professor is not only the faculty liaison with the Freethought club, but also a biophysicist.  Science, FTW.   ;D

Not sure what you hope to gain from all that, but I doubt if you will gain Christ. I suggest your forego these studies and pray to God for wisdom. Read the book of Ecclesiastes repeatedly; it contains all the cosmology you need to know.

"In seeking to free the world, science has only freed it from humanity." -GMK-

Selam

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Not sure what you hope to gain from all that, but I doubt if you will gain Christ. I suggest your forego these studies and pray to God for wisdom. Read the book of Ecclesiastes repeatedly; it contains all the cosmology you need to know.
He's probably just interested in more perspectives, and also in completing his requirements for his degree.  ;)

If you weren't aware, he's apostate, so he's probably not interested in that advice.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Alveus Lacuna said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
He's probably just interested in more perspectives, and also in completing his requirements for his degree.  ;)

If you weren't aware, he's apostate, so he's probably not interested in that advice.
I guessed as much. But since he is letting us know his plans, I felt compelled to suggest a more profitable plan to him (as arrogant and condescending as it may have sounded.) I truly meant my advice in all sincerity and love.

Selam

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Nebelpfade said:
In the fall I have to take a 'Science Studies' course to fulfil my breadth.  It is an attempt to analyse science from a social science / humanities view and make us more 'well-rounded'.  One of the available courses is about the relationship (and conflict) between science and religion, focusing on everything from cosmology to evolution.  The professor is not only the faculty liaison with the Freethought club, but also a biophysicist.  Science, FTW.   ;D

Gebrirony strikes again. :p

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.iheu.org
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
Since I don't believe 'gaining Christ' means gaining anything in particular, forgoing these studies is a path I would not take.  I've read Ecclesiastes many times, and I wasn't particularly moved by it.

Alveus Lacuna said:
Bingo.  If I have to take these useless breadth courses, might as well take something that is either a) interesting, b) easy, or c) good for a laugh or two.  :laugh:

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
Bingo.  If I have to take these useless breadth courses, might as well take something that is either a) interesting, b) easy, or c) good for a laugh or two.  :laugh:
Hey! My whole degree is comprised of these "useless breadth courses." I just didn't realize they were useless until I was halfway into my Master's program...

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
So close to a four day weekend.  :)
You too? Excellent. Most schools around here give only Good Friday off, but mine always takes two days. This is the first year I'll actually be able to enjoy it, though, as they always follow the Catholic calendar.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Papist said:
You too? Excellent. Most schools around here give only Good Friday off, but mine always takes two days. This is the first year I'll actually be able to enjoy it, though, as they always follow the Catholic calendar.
Yup Yup. But we have Friday and Monday off. Tomorrow I have parent teacher conferences (or credentialing as they call it in secondary school).

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Papist said:
Yup Yup. But we have Friday and Monday off. Tomorrow I have parent teacher conferences (or credentialing as they call it in secondary school).
I see. We're done after today, but we have to come back on Monday.

Altar Server

High Elder
Reaction score
Yes One More day till Easter Break I'm really looking forward to tomorrow  my school is doing a Tenebrae  Service and then vespers with the washing of feet and the passion Gospels  This really is my Favorite week of the year  ;D

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Fr. George said:
Asteriktos said:
Overcompensation?  Or showing off?
I just thought it was funny, and something random  :)  My arms look nothing like that, unfortunately.
I'm glad to hear it... Yellow arms would probably be a symptom of a serious illness! ;) (Or serious college football fanaticism... )

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
I'm glad to hear it... Yellow arms would probably be a symptom of a serious illness! ;) (Or serious college football fanaticism... )
I was cursed with white-as-a-ghost syndrome... I wonder what it would be like to be yellow. I could always go on a carrot binge and see how I look yellow. Or I could get a tan like this...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9xsnZ-wNWqY/SwI0EY0nkAI/AAAAAAAAANY/ZaNTz0GTt5s/s1600/bodybuilder.jpg

:D

[green]Disturbing image replaced by link to same image. If you wish to view the photo, click on the above link. Be advised, though, that it does show people wearing less than the average amount of clothing.--YtterbiumAnalyst[/green]

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Nebelpfade said:
So, how did everyone enjoy the newest Doctor?
Doctor who?

Hugh Laurie is still playing "House", right?  ???

Ok, just kidding.  Matt Smith did an excellent job, as I thought he would ever since those last twenty seconds of the New Year's episode.  The regeneration itself seemed very Tom Bakerish, while the character seems to incorporate the best aspects of the Doctors of years past.  Looks to be the beginning of an exciting season.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.iheu.org
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Nebelpfade said:
You're kidding! You Canucks have seen it already? BBC America will start the new series April 17.
Space isn't airing it until April 17th up here.  Thankfully, people love sharing on the Internet.  ;) :laugh:

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Nebelpfade said:
You're kidding! You Canucks have seen it already? BBC America will start the new series April 17.
Space isn't airing it until April 17th up here.  Thankfully, people love sharing on the Internet.  ;) :laugh:
I see. Though it intrigues me that you have a whole channel devoted to space travel shows. We get it already: Capt. Kirk was Canadian. :p

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Useless Fact of the Day:  Some turtles can breathe through their anuses.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2325/is-it-true-turtles-breathe-through-their-butts

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Useless Fact of the Day:  Some turtles can breathe through their anuses.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2325/is-it-true-turtles-breathe-through-their-butts
Bad breathe?

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Thank you from this person of partly Scots ancestry!  I meant to have some good steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast, but things happened.  ;)

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Papist said:
Easter Monday is a state holiday in Maryland and has been for a long time.  And the week before was Spring Break for the public schools, with yesterday being a Teacher Work Day in this country.  So my children had a long holiday this year.  (while I still had class as the college's break was in March)

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Ebor said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Papist said:
Easter Monday is a state holiday in Maryland and has been for a long time.  And the week before was Spring Break for the public schools, with yesterday being a Teacher Work Day in this country.  So my children had a long holiday this year.  (while I still had class as the college's break was in March)
That would make sense, as Maryland is historically a Catholic state.