Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Useless Fact of the Day:  Some turtles can breathe through their anuses.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2325/is-it-true-turtles-breathe-through-their-butts
Air quality fail. ;)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to decide what foreign language to take for school. I have the options of Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Latin, and Arabic. Any thoughts on those choices? What would you take? I'm guessing that Spanish would be easiest, but Russian might be more interesting for me. How many classes does it take to actually be able to read books in a language? For instance, if I wanted to read Dostoevsky or someone in the original Russian, would I be able to do that after a few semesters taking Russian, or would it take a lot more time/learning?

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I'm in the process of trying to decide what foreign language to take for school. I have the options of Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Latin, and Arabic. Any thoughts on those choices? What would you take? I'm guessing that Spanish would be easiest, but Russian might be more interesting for me. How many classes does it take to actually be able to read books in a language? For instance, if I wanted to read Dostoevsky or someone in the original Russian, would I be able to do that after a few semesters taking Russian, or would it take a lot more time/learning?
Depends on for what purpose you are learning. Many people in the United States know Spanish and French, so if you are interested in speaking it with someone else, they are good choices. Latin is most appropriate for those who want to learn the English language better, but Chinese, Japanese, Russian, and Arabic are all good choices for someone who wants their language skills to be a job asset--not many know these languages, and therefore being able to speak them would allow for one to function as a translator, with enough study.

With any foreign language, one studies first the grammar and vocabulary, for about the first six semesters. After that, one begins to study the literature and to write compositions. I'd say it would take about five to seven years experience with the language before one would become competent enough to read the newspaper, and several more before one could read something as complicated as Dostoevsky.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ouch! I had no idea it took so long, though that makes sense. I wonder if I would have the stick-to-it-tiveness to keep up for that long to learn a language in depth. Or maybe I should just take a couple Spanish or French classes and be done with it.  :-\ Anyway, thanks for the info :)

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Is German not an option?? German would be my recommendation.

You could always learn Esperanto in your free time. It would take about 3 weeks to be fluent.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ukiemeister said:
Is German not an option?? German would be my recommendation.

You could always learn Esperanto in your free time. It would take about 3 weeks to be fluent.
Interestingly, no, they don't have German. You'd think if they have things like Arabic, they would have German, but nope. It's a Catholic University, maybe they're still mad at Luther or something  :p

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Papist said:
I am trying to squeeze the last bit of productivity from my students... and there isn't much left.
Lol, you've still got a long way to go though!

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
Papist said:
I am trying to squeeze the last bit of productivity from my students... and there isn't much left.
What topic are you currently covering?
Well, I teach a math lab for remedial students. I am constantly covering many different topics in each class because I different learning groups and learning levels in each class.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Papist said:
SolEX01 said:
Papist said:
What topic are you currently covering?
Well, I teach a math lab for remedial students. I am constantly covering many different topics in each class because I different learning groups and learning levels in each class.
When I was a TA for Engineering Statics, I tried to make Quizzes attention getting based on the trends of that time (1996).  I think one of my quizzes involved determining whether a bridge would hold up for a group of sorority girls traveling to a ski area.  I hope this helps?  ???

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Here is the percentage increase in new members for the last 5 months from the previous year (not including the current month):

From 3/09 - 3/10 - 15.5% increase
From 2/09 - 2/10 - 23.9% increase
From 1/09 - 1/10 - 143.3% increase

From 12/08 - 12/09 - 91.2% increase
From 11/08 - 11/09 - 182.8% increase

While the period of Great Lent demonstrated a smaller increase - huge increases have occurred from 11/09 - 1/10.  People are flocking to the high level of discourse.  ;)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
Tea is good.  :)
"The mere chink of cups and saucers tunes the mind to happy repose" - George Gissing

Can't say that I ever experienced anything like that drinking tea, but anyway...  :)

soufliotiki

Reaction score
Random.

“The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.”

“The Queen is most anxious to enlist every one who can speak or write to join in checking this mad, wicked folly of 'Woman's Rights', with all its attendant horrors, on which her poor feeble sex is bent . . .”

A statue of Queen Victoria outside the Queen Victoria building in Sydney, NSW:

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Lauren_Elisse said:
I'm singing "My Humps" by The Blackeyed Peas bwahahahahahaha!
And I'm not.... (cue equally insidious, but lower-toned, laugh...)

Demetrios G.

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wallet is singing in a praise, while the heavens open up. For we now can go forth thanks to tax man this mourning. ;D

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Fr. George said:
serb1389 said:
I wonder if I don't have to pay sales tax anymore....
Not likely, sir.  The sales tax bites everyone!
In the serbian church I know that the priests are "self employed" so my dad doesn't have to pay sales tax for a lot of stuff that he buys b/c he just uses his "church card"...so to say.  He doesn't abuse it or use it unethically (which would be ironic since he teaches ethics), but he does use it a lot for church stuff. 

Eh..just curious & random

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Fr. George said:
serb1389 said:
In the serbian church I know that the priests are "self employed" so my dad doesn't have to pay sales tax for a lot of stuff that he buys b/c he just uses his "church card"...so to say.  He doesn't abuse it or use it unethically (which would be ironic since he teaches ethics), but he does use it a lot for church stuff. 

If he's buying things for the church, then that would be the reason he doesn't pay sales tax. Churches, schools, government offices, etc. are exempt from sales tax. It has nothing to do with your father being self-employed. I get the same thing when I buy things for the school using their card or account.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
ytterbiumanalyst said:
serb1389 said:
Fr. George said:
serb1389 said:

If he's buying things for the church, then that would be the reason he doesn't pay sales tax. Churches, schools, government offices, etc. are exempt from sales tax. It has nothing to do with your father being self-employed. I get the same thing when I buy things for the school using their card or account.
that would make sense since he usually used it around festival time & it was to buy food at the local grocery store.  It was random & i was thinking about it.....lol

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Asteriktos said:
Lauren_Elisse said:
I'll see your Blackeyed Peas, and raise you an Outkast:p
Hey ya!  Now, I order you to some Cell Therapy with Goodie Mob, for educational purposes.  After that a little Gnarles Barkley will bring you up to speed.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Don't you hate it when you're beating up on a Possessed Ogre Commander, and half way through the battle your console locks up on you? What's up with that?  :mad:

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Asteriktos said:
Don't you hate it when you're beating up on a Possessed Ogre Commander, and half way through the battle your console locks up on you? What's up with that?  :mad:
Don't you hate it how Duncan can kill one with 3 stabs and the turn of the blade, and it takes you...?

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Now you understand my pain.

Reaction score
FormerReformer said:
Asteriktos said:
Lauren_Elisse said:
I'll see your Blackeyed Peas, and raise you an Outkast:p
Hey ya!  Now, I order you to some Cell Therapy with Goodie Mob, for educational purposes.  After that a little Gnarles Barkley will bring you up to speed.

Yo gangstas!