Random Postings

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
35
Location
Springfield, MO
mike said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:
mike said:
I've had a test on programming today and my computer broke, so I wasn't able to finish it. Luckily I can take it again.
Are you sure the computer breaking wasn't part of the test?
I think no. Visual Studio simply refused to work.
It was a joke. 'Twould be an evil professor indeed who engineered a test that involved reprogramming a computer that refused to function.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
Did you mean traditional "garb"??  If you didn't, then I have no idea what you're asking...lol
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
Did you mean traditional "garb"??  If you didn't, then I have no idea what you're asking...lol
yes sir.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
Did you mean traditional "garb"??  If you didn't, then I have no idea what you're asking...lol
yes sir.
I'm not sure I understand your question.  Laypeople should just wear whatever they are comfortable wearing and is decent for the culture they are surrounded by.  As christians we should always be watchful of not leading our neighbor to sin, whether that is by not having enough clothes or too many (or too funky).  On the other hand, we should always be mindful of our orthodoxy and our christian mindset, in everything we do. 

Very helpful huh...
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
I got an A in my math class. I probably haven't had an A in math since before Junior High  :D
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Peet's coffee is fantastic.  Just letting you all know. 
I will now be getting coffee.

Nescafe.
Man I havn't had that in forever.  I havn't had a greek coffee in forever.  Peet's is fantastic.  mmmm...peeet's
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
Did you mean traditional "garb"??  If you didn't, then I have no idea what you're asking...lol
yes sir.
I'm not sure I understand your question.  Laypeople should just wear whatever they are comfortable wearing and is decent for the culture they are surrounded by.  As christians we should always be watchful of not leading our neighbor to sin, whether that is by not having enough clothes or too many (or too funky).  On the other hand, we should always be mindful of our orthodoxy and our christian mindset, in everything we do. 

Very helpful huh...
Well, I heard somewhere about how pants are not "christian" and so on... So I thought some people wore.. Something else?

Aster: Glad to hear that! I have a F... haha!
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
Vzldrb said:
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
I'd agree with what serb said on this. It might also have to do with how you dress during the week. If you wear a suit to the office, why not to worship the Lord? But if you're a day laborer, you shouldn't feel ashamed if you just wear plain pants and a nice plain shirt.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Asteriktos said:
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
I was thinking of being avoidant and changing my major to something that does not require math, then getting an M. Div at St. Tikhons, which is nearby.

Just an idea.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me. 
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me. 
Ugh.

Alright then. I think I will switch to "fine arts", since all the math courses there are "electives"... I'll spend a semester as part time then, just to focus on math.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)
 

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
9,123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me. 
Ugh.

Alright then. I think I will switch to "fine arts", since all the math courses there are "electives"... I'll spend a semester as part time then, just to focus on math.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)
It's not like you're going to major in math if you go to St. Tikhon's, i'm just saying that there's going to be at LEAST one class.  This is not indicative though of what the class might offer.  Our class at HC for example began with addition, subtraction, long division and multiplication tables. our midterm was on fractions and our final was on XY graphing.  No joke.  But then again that one class had to cover a lot of people, including elementary education majors who had to eventually teach little kids how to do basic math.  so yah...

Also, if you were going to St. Tikhon's planning to be a priest or clergymember in general you should probably know that math is just a part of parish life. you do budgets, fiscal planning, etc. all the time.  It's just part and parcel for what you do.  That's what I meant by it follows you everywhere you go. 

.....didn't want you to make life decisions based on flippant comments...lol. 
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
serb1389 said:
Vzldrb said:
serb1389 said:
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me. 
Ugh.

Alright then. I think I will switch to "fine arts", since all the math courses there are "electives"... I'll spend a semester as part time then, just to focus on math.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)
It's not like you're going to major in math if you go to St. Tikhon's, i'm just saying that there's going to be at LEAST one class.  This is not indicative though of what the class might offer.  Our class at HC for example began with addition, subtraction, long division and multiplication tables. our midterm was on fractions and our final was on XY graphing.  No joke.  But then again that one class had to cover a lot of people, including elementary education majors who had to eventually teach little kids how to do basic math.  so yah...

Also, if you were going to St. Tikhon's planning to be a priest or clergymember in general you should probably know that math is just a part of parish life. you do budgets, fiscal planning, etc. all the time.  It's just part and parcel for what you do.  That's what I meant by it follows you everywhere you go. 

.....didn't want you to make life decisions based on flippant comments...lol. 
lol, yes.

I know that Math like that will be needed, but that's something I can cover in a simple class... I don't really need to know how to use trinomials in order to figure out a fiscal budget... lol.
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
3,397
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
41
Vzldrb said:
Glad to see my love of coffee isn't awkward around here.
Hey, is there any traditional grab for laymen to wear?

Just curious, and random.
LOL, What kind of people do you think Orthodox Christians are??!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Listen, we're not some kind of fundy-Morman-cult that abstains from caffeine, alcohol, and makes women wear long underwear under their dresses and the men cut their hair short.  :D

While there are extremists out there (and if you spend enough time on Google, they are not hard to find), by spending time in the parish you will see that Orthodox Christians are pretty much just like your average American, except our form of worship is way cooler than any Protestant Mega-Church.  ;D

You will see that we drink coffee and alcohol, eat REALLY good food, and know how to have an awesome time. (And we certainly aren't afraid of dancing!)

While in some parishes it's traditional for the women to wear a skirt to church on Sunday, our women are allowed to wear pants, have jobs, and speak their mind. (i.e. you never want to cross a Presbytera/Matushka/Khouria!  :laugh: ) Our men are allowed to grow their hair long or keep it short, some have beards, some do not.

Orthodoxy is far more concerned with the state of your soul than the state of your dress.  ;)

I think as you spend more time at an Orthodox parish, you will see what I mean. :)
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
3,397
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
41
Asteriktos said:
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
Speaking from current personal experience, sometimes a tutor isn't enough. Right now I think a lobotomy is the only thing that would help me.  :laugh:

I've spent hours studying (with and without a tutor!), and it's just not sinking in.

To put this in perspective, I'm getting all A's and B's in all of my other classes. It is only Math that I am failing.

My family keeps saying "Well you can't be strong in everything." Unfortunately, the Dean of the College doesn't see it that way when it comes to awarding degrees. So Vzldrb, I feel your pain!  :laugh:
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
Speaking from current personal experience, sometimes a tutor isn't enough. Right now I think a lobotomy is the only thing that would help me.  :laugh:

I've spent hours studying (with and without a tutor!), and it's just not sinking in.

To put this in perspective, I'm getting all A's and B's in all of my other classes. It is only Math that I am failing.

My family keeps saying "Well you can't be strong in everything." Unfortunately, the Dean of the College doesn't see it that way when it comes to awarding degrees. So Vzldrb, I feel your pain!  :laugh:
Yes, exactly!

I am doing great in my other three classes as well: Psychology 140 (I did a paper on Altered States of Consciousness and therapy via flotation tanks - an easy A), CIS 105 (Simple computer stuff, but then we have some rather old people who havent used a computer before, practically... and we had to do group projects), and Art 101.

I love my art class so much, that I may switch to Fine Arts, and still maybe take a Psychology class on the side for the credits...

But yeah, there you go!

(PS. Early-High Renaissance, Rococo, and the Baroque are just awesome!)
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,747
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
Speaking from current personal experience, sometimes a tutor isn't enough. Right now I think a lobotomy is the only thing that would help me.  :laugh:

I've spent hours studying (with and without a tutor!), and it's just not sinking in.
Not every tutor is the same since not all tutors can adapt to the learning style of their clients.  There are many myths as to why people are unable to learn math; perhaps you can see yourself in one or more of them?  From the University of Alabama:

Performance in mathematics courses often is undermined by faulty beliefs regarding the subject and one’s own abilities. These erroneous beliefs — or Math Myths — hamper both effort and self-confidence and should be examined in order to acquire a more productive approach to mathematics.
http://www.ctl.ua.edu/CTLStudyAids/StudySkillsFlyers/Miscellaneous/mathmyths.htm
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
SolEX01 said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
Speaking from current personal experience, sometimes a tutor isn't enough. Right now I think a lobotomy is the only thing that would help me.  :laugh:

I've spent hours studying (with and without a tutor!), and it's just not sinking in.
Not every tutor is the same since not all tutors can adapt to the learning style of their clients.  There are many myths as to why people are unable to learn math; perhaps you can see yourself in one or more of them?  From the University of Alabama:

Performance in mathematics courses often is undermined by faulty beliefs regarding the subject and one’s own abilities. These erroneous beliefs — or Math Myths — hamper both effort and self-confidence and should be examined in order to acquire a more productive approach to mathematics.
http://www.ctl.ua.edu/CTLStudyAids/StudySkillsFlyers/Miscellaneous/mathmyths.htm
Good website, thanks. I'll take a math course part time this fall, so I can focus on that alone.
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,747
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
Vzldrb said:
I know that Math like that will be needed, but that's something I can cover in a simple class... I don't really need to know how to use trinomials in order to figure out a fiscal budget... lol.
Revenue = 5A+3B+C (a trinomial)

A = number of pastry trays sold @ $5 each
B = number of coffees sold @ $3 each
C = number of bottled waters sold @ $1 each

;)
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
SolEX01 said:
Vzldrb said:
I know that Math like that will be needed, but that's something I can cover in a simple class... I don't really need to know how to use trinomials in order to figure out a fiscal budget... lol.
Revenue = 5A+3B+C (a trinomial)

A = number of pastry trays sold @ $5 each
B = number of coffees sold @ $3 each
C = number of bottled waters sold @ $1 each

;)
No, I mean like:

(3x + 2y + 4) + (7x(squared) - 4y +2) - (6x + (-7y) - 2)

and then you simplify all of the expressions, down to be something like:

7x(squared) + -3x + 4 or some such...

It can get crazier when you get them down to equal froms. I can;t think of an example, but the solution would be a jumble liek that and somehow you can break it down so it looks like:

2(3x+4y+1) + 7(3x+4y+1)

That is, where both of the second numbers are the reduced versions of longer, but equal multiplied expressions... and this is a MAT100 course!

I'm going insane :p
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
21,844
Reaction score
24
Points
38
Age
39
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
serb1389 said:
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me.  
It's funny math, to be sure.  1+1=1; 1+1+1=1; 300,000,000=1...
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Fr. George said:
serb1389 said:
Asteriktos said:
The only thing is, does your school require a math course to fulfill the liberal arts core, and would you be ok with that course? That could factor in as well. For example, at the school that I'm at now (and with my major) you are required to take a certain level algebra course or higher to graduate, though at some other schools I've looked at they only require a statistics course for the major I'd be in.  But in both cases, you have to take a math course of some type. Whatever happens, I hope you can go on to get a M.Div, that's a nice goal.
Yes yes my friend, alas even in theology one must encounter the mathematical sciences.  You never really escape it...trust me.  
It's funny math, to be sure.  1+1=1; 1+1+1=1; 300,000,000=1...
Father, bless.

Out of interest, do you have an M. Div? What advice can you give?
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,747
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
Vzldrb said:
No, I mean like:

(3x + 2y + 4) + (7x(squared) - 4y +2) - (6x + (-7y) - 2)

and then you simplify all of the expressions, down to be something like:

7x(squared) + -3x + 4 or some such...
The joys of Mathematica 7 which can handle anything one throws at it (numerically and symbolically):

In[1]:= (3 x + 2 y + 4) + (7 x (squared) - 4 y + 2) - (6 x + (-7 y) - 2) (yes, that is exactly what you had in the previous post)

Out[1]= 8 - 3 x + 7 squared x + 5 y

Vzldrb said:
It can get crazier when you get them down to equal froms. I can;t think of an example, but the solution would be a jumble liek that and somehow you can break it down so it looks like:

2(3x+4y+1) + 7(3x+4y+1)

That is, where both of the second numbers are the reduced versions of longer, but equal multiplied expressions... and this is a MAT100 course!

I'm going insane :p
Not if one understands Mathematica.  ;)
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
3,397
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
41
SolEX01 said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
Speaking from current personal experience, sometimes a tutor isn't enough. Right now I think a lobotomy is the only thing that would help me.  :laugh:

I've spent hours studying (with and without a tutor!), and it's just not sinking in.
Not every tutor is the same since not all tutors can adapt to the learning style of their clients.  There are many myths as to why people are unable to learn math; perhaps you can see yourself in one or more of them?  From the University of Alabama:

Performance in mathematics courses often is undermined by faulty beliefs regarding the subject and one’s own abilities. These erroneous beliefs — or Math Myths — hamper both effort and self-confidence and should be examined in order to acquire a more productive approach to mathematics.
http://www.ctl.ua.edu/CTLStudyAids/StudySkillsFlyers/Miscellaneous/mathmyths.htm
I always find it interesting how many reasons people create when I tell them I'm struggling in Math.

Person A: "You're struggling in Math because you don't have a tutor."

Me: But I have a Tutor.

Person A: "Are you paying them? You should never pay a tutor."

Me: I'm not paying them. I go to the Student Learning Center and a woman from my parish who has her degree in Mathematics is helping me.

Person A: "That's the problem, you should pay a tutor. They will help you."

My favorite is my father's line. "How can you not understand this? This is math for idiots!"

Thanks Dad. Love you!  :-*

I don't understand why it's unacceptable to not be good in math? As the website indicated, no one thinks less of a person if they are not musically gifted, but because I suck at Math, I'm some kind of idiot?

Well, I have news for you. I'm great in music, but suck at Math.

Unfortunately, the Dean of the College doesn't care, and I need to pass the class to graduate. I'm going to take the class over in the summer, back to back with Statistics. Hopefully I'll do better.
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,747
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
HandmaidenofGod said:
I don't understand why it's unacceptable to not be good in math? As the website indicated, no one thinks less of a person if they are not musically gifted, but because I suck at Math, I'm some kind of idiot?

Well, I have news for you. I'm great in music, but suck at Math.
Don't ask me to carry a tune.  ;)  At least at my College, Music 101 wasn't a requirement.  :)

HandmaidenofGod said:
Unfortunately, the Dean of the College doesn't care, and I need to pass the class to graduate. I'm going to take the class over in the summer, back to back with Statistics. Hopefully I'll do better.
Good luck to you....

 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
SolEX01 said:
Post 6,000.  What a letdown.   :-\
I'm afraid to ask... what were you expecting?  :D ;D :angel: Congrats, btw!
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
HandmaidenofGod said:
SolEX01 said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
Asteriktos said:
An F?  Seriously? :eek: :angel:  I think you need to hook up with a tutor my friend!
Speaking from current personal experience, sometimes a tutor isn't enough. Right now I think a lobotomy is the only thing that would help me.  :laugh:

I've spent hours studying (with and without a tutor!), and it's just not sinking in.
Not every tutor is the same since not all tutors can adapt to the learning style of their clients.  There are many myths as to why people are unable to learn math; perhaps you can see yourself in one or more of them?  From the University of Alabama:

Performance in mathematics courses often is undermined by faulty beliefs regarding the subject and one’s own abilities. These erroneous beliefs — or Math Myths — hamper both effort and self-confidence and should be examined in order to acquire a more productive approach to mathematics.
http://www.ctl.ua.edu/CTLStudyAids/StudySkillsFlyers/Miscellaneous/mathmyths.htm
I always find it interesting how many reasons people create when I tell them I'm struggling in Math.

Person A: "You're struggling in Math because you don't have a tutor."

Me: But I have a Tutor.

Person A: "Are you paying them? You should never pay a tutor."

Me: I'm not paying them. I go to the Student Learning Center and a woman from my parish who has her degree in Mathematics is helping me.

Person A: "That's the problem, you should pay a tutor. They will help you."

My favorite is my father's line. "How can you not understand this? This is math for idiots!"

Thanks Dad. Love you!  :-*

I don't understand why it's unacceptable to not be good in math? As the website indicated, no one thinks less of a person if they are not musically gifted, but because I suck at Math, I'm some kind of idiot?

Well, I have news for you. I'm great in music, but suck at Math.

Unfortunately, the Dean of the College doesn't care, and I need to pass the class to graduate. I'm going to take the class over in the summer, back to back with Statistics. Hopefully I'll do better.
That's what my mom said, too!

Then again, my test was multiple choice... and I tried plugging the answer in, really!
 

Vzldrb

Elder
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
0
SolEX01 said:
HandmaidenofGod said:
I don't understand why it's unacceptable to not be good in math? As the website indicated, no one thinks less of a person if they are not musically gifted, but because I suck at Math, I'm some kind of idiot?

Well, I have news for you. I'm great in music, but suck at Math.
Don't ask me to carry a tune.   ;)  At least at my College, Music 101 wasn't a requirement.   :)

HandmaidenofGod said:
Unfortunately, the Dean of the College doesn't care, and I need to pass the class to graduate. I'm going to take the class over in the summer, back to back with Statistics. Hopefully I'll do better.
Good luck to you....
I wish it was! I just recorded an album, and U'll make a new thread/post for it. It's guitar/instrumental. :p

ANYWAYS... Yeah, uh. I'll try harder next time. Go slower. Or something.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
Vzldrb said:
I wish it was! I just recorded an album, and U'll make a new thread/post for it. It's guitar/instrumental. :p
Your confusing statements have caught my attention. An album you say?  :)
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
Ahh, 2AM, and I'm still up. Another sleepless night, mayhaps? Yes, I think so. But for how long will I sit in front of this darn computer waiting for people to post, when I could be off reading or doing something else constructive. Ahh well, at least I'm also listening to music while I wait.

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation, take me home?" - Cliff Burton
 

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
Asteriktos said:
Ahh, 2AM, and I'm still up. Another sleepless night, mayhaps? Yes, I think so. But for how long will I sit in front of this darn computer waiting for people to post, when I could be off reading or doing something else constructive. Ahh well, at least I'm also listening to music while I wait.

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation, take me home?" - Cliff Burton
haha I can't sleep either, wait I don't want to sleep I'm enjoying my time off.  I guess I'll sleep really hard tomorrow night but until then I'm up, you can't buy back the hours you're not working for the man.
 
Top